What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk supposed to be interviewed on AM 1510

I do give him big props for doing the interview. He had to know it would be slightly hostile, especially given his "burned to the ground" comment and Klatt being one of the interviewers.

Like you, I wish he came across better. I have a feeling that the Boise press, fans, and expectations didn't prepare Hawk for CU. And that he's working his way through how to respond to failed expectations. Clearly, he's not doing that part very well.
It seems to me that he had kind of a similar reputation in Boise with the media and fans. I guess it is just in his gene pool to kind of be a "I'm smarter than you" kind of guy. As for whether or not he can win, the only hope, well two hopes, I have are that he was a winner before he came here and that the team did look much better the last couple of games.

I support Hawk because he is the HC and I want him to succeed. This ripping of him in the media and by us fans is counterproductive to the team. I do not like the way he speaks. I wish he came across better. One thing to remamber, though, is that Klatt and Kreckman have been ripping him a new asshole all year. I'm sure that he knew that. So I think it was at least pretty stand up of him to go on with them. He also was probably in defense mode going into the interview.

How is it counterproductive, does it hurt their feelings or something? If anything it should piss him off and make him start working harder and at correcting all the "little things".

I support Hawk because he is the HC and I want him to succeed. This ripping of him in the media and by us fans is counterproductive to the team. I do not like the way he speaks. I wish he came across better. One thing to remamber, though, is that Klatt and Kreckman have been ripping him a new asshole all year. I'm sure that he knew that. So I think it was at least pretty stand up of him to go on with them. He also was probably in defense mode going into the interview.

You got to admit, the way he left was pretty weak. He could have just stood behind what he said before and that even the QB position was open to competition, or Tyler is our starter or something really quick. Then said sorry guys that's my last question, I have to go, we have a staff meeting. I mean he cut off the question and was just like, EH SORRY GUYS GOTTA GO WE GOT A STAFFER.

I agree, only cu fans and the media are to blame. If this was texas, oklahoma,florida, any big 10 schools or pac 10, there would be no negative tone from the fans or media. Year one 2 wins, year 4, 3 wins. How could anyone complain is beyond me.

The only thing counter-productive is a team,HC and AD who worry more about fans being negative than going out and winning games.

I find myself in a strange situation. I want CU to win and succeed next season but I don't want hawk to be coach after 2010. I can't stand him, mainly because he preaches accountability and doesn't hold himself to that standard.

Anyone who thinks Cody's days as a starting QB at the University of Colorado are over is fooling themselves IMO. I will listen to the interview later, but it sounds pretty good already.

I do give him big props for doing the interview. He had to know it would be slightly hostile, especially given his "burned to the ground" comment and Klatt being one of the interviewers.

Like you, I wish he came across better. I have a feeling that the Boise press, fans, and expectations didn't prepare Hawk for CU. And that he's working his way through how to respond to failed expectations. Clearly, he's not doing that part very well.

Just about every time I hear him do an interview I can't help but wonder if the Boise media even covered him or ever asked him a single tough question.

DBT, come on. Being behind a program does not mean you have to go down the yellow brick road lock step and barrel with the coach/admin/etc. Hawk deserves what his is getting although I would put a lot of it on Bohn/Distefano/Benson. They could have ended it last week and chose not to but instead fanned the flames with worthless excuses and rhetoric. Hawk chose to take a premier job in a BCS conference. You think the heat is bad here. He is lucky he is not in Norman, Austin, S. Cal, Florida, Baton Rouge, or any other place where they take football seriously. He would have been run out of town on a rail in a location that gave a crap about football. He has not seen anything like the pressure or criticism coaches in other areas of the country have seen. The press (until lately) has gone easy on him. Nobody asked the tough questions. If he does not like the heat, get out. It is about time he felt some heat. Unfortunately for Hawk, it is coming from all directions now and will only get worse as the loses add up next year.

It seems to me that he had kind of a similar reputation in Boise with the media and fans. I guess it is just in his gene pool to kind of be a "I'm smarter than you" kind of guy. As for whether or not he can win, the only hope, well two hopes, I have are that he was a winner before he came here and that the team did look much better the last couple of games.

:yeahthat: Spot on, DBT. There was definitely a "Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out" attitude when Hawk left the Treasure Valley. He was NOT well liked in Boise.

I agree, only cu fans and the media are to blame. If this was texas, oklahoma,florida, any big 10 schools or pac 10, there would be no negative tone from the fans or media. Year one 2 wins, year 4, 3 wins. How could anyone complain is beyond me.

There wouldn't be anymore negative tone toward him because if he was at one of those schools he'd already be long gone! :lol:

DBT, come on. Being behind a program does not mean you have to go down the yellow brick road lock step and barrel with the coach/admin/etc. Hawk deserves what his is getting although I would put a lot of it on Bohn/Distefano/Benson. They could have ended it last week and chose not to but instead fanned the flames with worthless excuses and rhetoric. Hawk chose to take a premier job in a BCS conference. You think the heat is bad here. He is lucky he is not in Norman, Austin, S. Cal, Florida, Baton Rouge, or any other place where they take football seriously. He would have been run out of town on a rail in a location that gave a crap about football. He has not seen anything like the pressure or criticism coaches in other areas of the country have seen. The press (until lately) has gone easy on him. Nobody asked the tough questions. If he does not like the heat, get out. It is about time he felt some heat. Unfortunately for Hawk, it is coming from all directions now and will only get worse as the loses add up next year.
I thought they should have made the change too. They didn't. So, at least if and when he crashes next year, I'm going to at least HOPE that he can turn it around. I also want to see a semblance of a good recruiting class. And, while I know that message boards and local media probably don't influence recruits that much, except maybe for local kids, I just think we need to support the program and coach as much as we can. But you make a good point. I understand where you're coming from, for sure. I really do. :wink2:

I thought they should have made the change too. They didn't. So, at least if and when he crashes next year, I'm going to at least HOPE that he can turn it around. I also want to see a semblance of a good recruiting class. And, while I know that message boards and local media probably don't influence recruits that much, except maybe for local kids, I just think we need to support the program and coach as much as we can. But you make a good point. I understand where you're coming from, for sure. I really do. :wink2:

As you posted earlier, Hawk probably aught to just shut his Pie Hole. What ever he says now is going to get folks worked up. At this point, he would be better off speaking as little as possible and get to work on next year's plan. The only thing that will take the pressure off of him now is winning. Talking is not going to help because everyone is tired of his schtick.

The best thing Bohn could do for Hawkins would be to mandate that he works with a media trainer this offseason. It would be the best money the AD ever spent if Hawkins is going to be our guy for at least the next 3 years (as it currently looks).

The best thing Bohn could do for Hawkins would be to mandate that he works with a media trainer this offseason. It would be the best money the AD ever spent if Hawkins is going to be our guy for at least the next 3 years (as it currently looks).

Will the last fan leaving Folsom turn out the lights?...:sad1:

During the interview, hawk would say winning is important BUT.....

Can't he or mike bohn just talk directly to football and what needs to happen on the field instead of always going to the but retort?

During the interview, hawk would say winning is important BUT.....

Can't he or mike bohn just talk directly to football and what needs to happen on the field instead of always going to the but retort?

In a word no. MB has to find some positive no matter how far removed it is fom Hawk's objective, and Hawk just can't admit he's done a poor job, his ego won't let him. It is always someone else's fault (i.e. place was burned to the ground comment). Hawk is a million dollar whiner.

Anyone who thinks Cody's days as a starting QB at the University of Colorado are over is fooling themselves IMO. I will listen to the interview later, but it sounds pretty good already.

Part of me realizes you're right, the other part won't let me go there because that kind of reality just scares me. It's just like the idea of Hawk not getting fired after going 4-8/5-7 next year, it's highly possible, but I can't (don't want to) accept it as reality.

Interesting number: FIVE

As in, that is the same length of time that Hawk has been HC anywhere.

FIVE years at Williamette
FIVE years at Boise State

Will 2010 be the final year at CU, making the trifecta?

Interesting number: FIVE

As in, that is the same length of time that Hawk has been HC anywhere.

FIVE years at Williamette
FIVE years at Boise State

Will 2010 be the final year at CU, making the trifecta?

I keep hearing people say they know think he will be here another 3 years at least. Not sure where that is coming from. I think Hawk was on the chopping block with the axe descending before getting a last minute pardon. I believe they are restructuring his contract in the University's favor, given Bohn's strongly stated "no comment" on whether this is true. Obviously it is a slippery slope about what will be good enough to stay. My impression is if they make a bowl, he stays, if not he is toast. I think even the administration will want to cut ties just to not have to deal with the PR nightmare anymore.

I keep hearing people say they know think he will be here another 3 years at least. Not sure where that is coming from. I think Hawk was on the chopping block with the axe descending before getting a last minute pardon. I believe they are restructuring his contract in the University's favor, given Bohn's strongly stated "no comment" on whether this is true. Obviously it is a slippery slope about what will be good enough to stay. My impression is if they make a bowl, he stays, if not he is toast. I think even the administration will want to cut ties just to not have to deal with the PR nightmare anymore.
I think this upcoming year will be very telling. If season ticket numbers do drop as expected (along with the related drop in revenue), then Bohn can go to Bensen & DouchStephano and say "look, here's proof that keeping Hawk is costing us money". That's also assuming that this doesn't get turned around in the W/L column next year, against a much, much tougher schedule.

But, Bohn can't come out and say Hawk is gone next year if he doesn't win. That won't help recruiting, it won't help getting new ACs in here. The reality is (I hope) that unless Hawk has a winning season next year, he's gone.

It's pretty unheard of for a major university to give any coach more than 5 years of losing. Rutgers twice gave their coach that fifth year to prove themselves. In 2000 Terry Shea was coming off four losing season (2-9, 0-11, 5-6, and 1-10) his fifth year they went 3-8 and he was canned. Greg Schiano got the job in 2001. His first four years were all losing seasons (2-9, 1-11, 5-7, and 4-7). The school was under alot of pressure to can him after that, but they gave him a fifth year and the Knights went 7-5 and bowling and have gone 11-2, 8-5, 8-5, and are 8-3 this season.

A fifth year is the most that any school should give a coach under those circumstances, there is nothing left to prove if we struggle this season and they consider bringing Hawk back. Either way, 2010 should be the deciding season for Hawk at CU.

Maybe they need to force him to only do 5 speaking engagements a year, instead of 5 per week, so he can focus on football.

It's pretty unheard of for a major university to give any coach more than 5 years of losing. Rutgers twice gave their coach that fifth year to prove themselves. In 2000 Terry Shea was coming off four losing season (2-9, 0-11, 5-6, and 1-10) his fifth year they went 3-8 and he was canned. Greg Schiano got the job in 2001. His first four years were all losing seasons (2-9, 1-11, 5-7, and 4-7). The school was under alot of pressure to can him after that, but they gave him a fifth year and the Knights went 7-5 and bowling and have gone 11-2, 8-5, 8-5, and are 8-3 this season.

A fifth year is the most that any school should give a coach under those circumstances, there is nothing left to prove if we struggle this season and they consider bringing Hawk back. Either way, 2010 should be the deciding season for Hawk at CU.

Maybe they need to force him to only do 5 speaking engagements a year, instead of 5 per week, so he can focus on football.

That and so we don't have to hear his nonsense as often.

Part of me hopes we're not successful next year because Hawk will be even more of an insufferable lout.

not that I think it can happen, but lets hope Hawk turns out like Schaino and Pinkle and not so much like every other coach who gets a questionable 5th year,

It sickens me to think that Hawkins feels that if I contribute more money to the program it's going to fix his ****ty coaching.

Back