What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins doing games for ESPN this fall

this is going to be magic. I can't wait.

"Well this is interesting Pam, the offense lined up a went straight ahead at the defense for a 8 yard gain. They got their horns out and just pushed them off the line of scrimmage. You would think with a running back that has much junk in his trunk they would want to swing their swords more. Seriously Pam I met their running back and he has a twinkle in his eye and a great handshake, the kind of guy you would want to bring home and put a backpack on the kid and let him hike around the wonders of being a family."

I bet he does a pretty good job. He's actually comes across as a pretty likable guy that is fairly well informed and is easy to luke until he ****s over your football team. I still think he's well meaning and wish the guy no harm in any future endeavors. I just don't want him coaching at CU anymore. I don't think they'd assign him to a CU game and I'm pretty glad about that 'cause the last thing I want is for Pam Ward to be calling one of our games.

i am with you on this. I think you'll see him back in college athletics at some point and i dont think he'd make a bad small school AD for all the reasons above. He just cant coach.

I caught part of the Florida State Spring game on ESPN this year. Hawk was providing color. He said something about the importance of recruiting elite explosive athletes. Ah the irony...

I caught part of the Florida State Spring game on ESPN this year. Hawk was providing color. He said something about the importance of recruiting elite explosive athletes. Ah the irony...

He said recruiting them, not playing them.

You have to shoot it in the head

4034390991_751165aacc.jpg

He said recruiting them, not playing them.

Excellent observation. Obviously, recruiting them is only the first step. Then you have to find out if they have a twinkle in their eye and can get their horns out. There's only so much you can tell from highlight tapes, you know. And sometimes those lunchpails don't even show up on film.

I find myself longing for the innocent days of yesteryear when I thought it couldn't get any worse than Artie Gigantino or Trev Alberts.

Pam, even though they lost to Michigan on the scoreboard, I really think that Indiana won the game on the field - they just did more of the little things right. Sure they didn't score, but they just did the right things.

And the hits just keep onnnnnnnnnn comin. You know those cocks at ESPN will have him do at least one CU game this year. Wonder how many times we will have to hear about the all time stats leader in passing? Few hundred maybe?

Pam sure they were outscored by 35 and the half, and the game was never close, but they are a program doing things the right way and things are going to start to pop. They have a great group of walk on players all with great motors and they come from solid two parent families.

Hawk and Pam Ward? Brutal...

No kidding. Brutal describes it well, but there isn't a word in the English language that would really describe how bad it would be to listen to them. I would be watching in the quietude of the mute button.

Fortunately I have no idea whar ESPiNU is. He better not bad mouth the University after keeping him for too long anyway.

I hoped to never hear another word uttered by that charlatan. I only want read that kind of rhetoric from buffnut. Ugh.

(begin broadcast - pregame chatter)

Pam: "Welcome to Big East football on ESPN, I'm Pam Ward, joining me is Dan Hawkins, who is an accomplished coach and new to the booth. Dan, this is a big game for you, how are you feeling?"

Hawk: “It has been awesome for me, and was awesome coaching (at Colorado)...at the same time, Christopher Columbus set sail once, and everyone said he was crazy. Coach Embree does things the right way and he cares about the kids. That makes it easier for me (to move on). I'm fired up.”

Pam: "Dan, West Virginia is breaking in a new coach of their own, Dana Holgerson."

Hawk: "The variety, the abnormality of the coaching in college football is unbelievable. Coaching in the Big East, you're going to see the spectrum, and that's part of what makes it fun. Dana Holgerson is a great guy, he'll get the job done. The biggest thing you need to do is go in there and galvanize some things, because they've been through a lot.”

Pam: "Dan, West Virginia's excited for their home opener, while Marshall limps in after a Week 1 defeat to the Buckeyes."

Hawk: "There's an opportunity for West Virginia to kind of go, 'OK, we're finally home,' and Marshall, they did a nice job (in a 41-3 season-opening loss) against Ohio State.”

(1st Quarter, West Virginia in possession, 1st and 10)
Pam: "Little read-option keep by Geno Smith, gain of 3. Dan, you looked at Geno Smith when you were at Colorado, yes?"

Hawk: "Yeah, I though he was a good player. His coach was going 'Hey I got a quarterback' and I said 'yeah I know, but we don't need a quarterback right now, we're all set.' It's good he landed on his feet.”

(2nd Quarter, Marshall in possession, 4th and 10)
Pam: "Marshall is set to punt."

Hawk: "You always look at special teams as a chance to get something big done. It's just not a pause between offense and defense. All of that work and attention to detail comes into play, and you have to have great special teams. I'm a big believer in that, always have been. A lot of guys out there don't want the stigma of being a special teams coach. They see themselves as an offensive coordinator or a defensive coordinator.”

(3rd Quarter, West Virginia in possession, 2nd and 3)
Pam: "Tavon Austin with a nice looking run for a first down. Dan, your impressions of Austin?"

Hawk: “He has a lot of moxie, he really does, ... He had a great attitude about it. He's determined and vilified enough to get after people but humble enough to know it's not always going to go his way.”

(3rd Quarter, Marshall fails on a fake punt attempt)
Pam: "Big gamble for Marshall, it doesn't pay off, now they're in real trouble."

Hawk: "Well as a coach, you kind of look at the scoreboard and go, 'Hey, we need to make something happen here, let's have the punter roll out and try to get it downfield.' If it doesn't work, you kind of go, 'Well, OK" and try to work it out in practice."

(4th Quarter, West Virginia in control)
Pam: "The Mountaineers are just roadgrading the Thundering Herd at this point Dan."

Hawk: "I don't get into semantics. The wind will always blow. It's always going to be hot or cold. You just have to go out there and play.”

(postgame wrap)
Pam: "West Virginia wins 34-10, any final thoughts Dan?"

Hawk: “Well, it just came down to one play against a very good football team. They made the play and Marshall didn't. As a coach, you love to have a win for seniors and the effort they put forth but you just them they can hold there heads up and fix the little things next time.”

Pam: "Welcome to Big East football on ESPN, I'm Pam Ward, joining me is Dan Hawkins, who is an accomplished coach and new to the booth. Dan, this is a big game for you, how are you feeling?"

Hawk: “It has been awesome for me, and was awesome coaching (at Colorado)...at the same time, Christopher Columbus set sail once, and everyone said he was crazy. Coach Embree does things the right way and he cares about the kids. That makes it easier for me (to move on). I'm fired up.”

Pam: "Dan, West Virginia is breaking in a new coach of their own, Dana Holgerson."

Hawk: "The variety, the abnormality of the coaching in college football is unbelievable. Coaching in the Big East, you're going to see the spectrum, and that's part of what makes it fun. Dana Holgerson is a great guy, he'll get the job done. The biggest thing you need to do is go in there and galvanize some things, because they've been through a lot.”

Pam: "Dan, West Virginia's excited for their home opener, while Marshall limps in after a Week 1 defeat to the Buckeyes."

Hawk: "There's an opportunity for West Virginia to kind of go, 'OK, we're finally home,' and Marshall, they did a nice job (in a 41-3 season-opening loss) against Ohio State.”

Pam: "Little read-option keep by Geno Smith, gain of 3. Dan, you looked at Geno Smith when you were at Colorado, yes?"

Hawk: "Yeah, I though he was a good player. His coach was going 'Hey I got a quarterback' and I said 'yeah I know, but we don't need a quarterback right now, we're all set.' It's good he landed on his feet.”

Hawk: "You always look at special teams as a chance to get something big done. It's just not a pause between offense and defense. All of that work and attention to detail comes into play, and you have to have great special teams. I'm a big believer in that, always have been. A lot of guys out there don't want the stigma of being a special teams coach. They see themselves as an offensive coordinator or a defensive coordinator.”

Pam: "Tavon Austin with a nice looking run for a first down. Dan, your impressions of Austin?"

Hawk: “He has a lot of moxie, he really does, ... He had a great attitude about it. He's determined and vilified enough to get after people but humble enough to know it's not always going to go his way.”

Pam: "Big gamble for Marshall, it doesn't pay off, now they're in real trouble."

Hawk: "Well as a coach, you kind of look at the scoreboard and go, 'Hey, we need to make something happen here, let's have the punter roll out and try to get it downfield.' If it doesn't work, you kind of go, 'Well, OK" and try to work it out in practice."

Pam: "The Mountaineers are just roadgrading the Thundering Herd at this point Dan."

Hawk: "I don't get into semantics. The wind will always blow. It's always going to be hot or cold. You just have to go out there and play.”

(postgame wrap)

Hawk: “Well, it just came down to one play against a very good football team. They made the play and Marshall didn't. As a coach, you love to have a win for seniors and the effort they put forth but you just them they can hold there heads up and fix the little things next time.”

Your understanding of HaLkin's pauses is eery.

:wtf:If I find out for sure he broadcasts any CU game, I'm going to bring a large sign to those games that says " Dan!! The volume is off. No one will listen to you!!":bang:

I encourage others to do something similar.

Actually, Hawkins will sound even odder than usual, due to his experimenting with "word groupings" in order to make sure that he keeps all the words fresh and confuses the audience. The first series, he'll only use "horns" "things" and "pop." The second series, he'll only use "lunchpail" "bow" "brother" and, as a special surprise, "enema." The third series he won't use any words, he'll try to mime his analysis.

(postgame wrap)

YMSSR. Top shelf, good man. Top shelf. Somebody get this guy some rep.

you know you get goosebumps thinking about a cool autumn morning....turning on the tv to espn.....and hearing for the first time....

THIS IS DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!!!!!!!

Back