What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins experience level

MCskid

just got done reading hawk's bio and was shocked that he has never been a coordinator at the ncca level. i just assumed that he had been the oc at boise before he got the head coaching job, instead of just being the assistant hc/tight ends/community p.r. guy. before that he was hc at a niai level as well as being a oc/dc at this level and the jc level. texas high school football is more competitive, some of those teams have 10-20 bcs kids playing for them. kinda seems amazing that none of this raised any red flags during the hiring process. hawk has been incredibly lucky in his career, inherited a winning team in a weak league, kept it sailing smooth and then parlayed that into a bcs job. now what seems really amazing to me is that he brought such an inexperienced staff to cu with him. that takes balls and a huge ego or a complete lack of the ability to be able to analyze one's situation rationally. if hawk had hired an oc and dc with a lot of experience under their belts(someone like hankwitz comes to mind) he might not be getting ready to file for unemployment. being a homer i hope hawk can "pop it", turn the season around and prove us all wrong. but after taking a look at next year's schedule if he does not have a winning season this year bohn had better make a change, regardless of how financially painful it will be. and he better get this one right.

p.s.- i like a lot of what hawk has done for cu, turned our image around, got the team gpa way up, has the kid's best interest's at heart, is an overall good guy in a profession full scum bags, but ya gotta win some games.

just got done reading hawk's bio and was shocked that he has never been a coordinator at the ncca level. i just assumed that he had been the oc at boise before he got the head coaching job, instead of just being the assistant hc/tight ends/community p.r. guy. before that he was hc at a niai level as well as being a oc/dc at this level and the jc level. texas high school football is more competitive, some of those teams have 10-20 bcs kids playing for them. kinda seems amazing that none of this raised any red flags during the hiring process. hawk has been incredibly lucky in his career, inherited a winning team in a weak league, kept it sailing smooth and then parlayed that into a bcs job. now what seems really amazing to me is that he brought such an inexperienced staff to cu with him. that takes balls and a huge ego or a complete lack of the ability to be able to analyze one's situation rationally. if hawk had hired an oc and dc with a lot of experience under their belts(someone like hankwitz comes to mind) he might not be getting ready to file for unemployment. being a homer i hope hawk can "pop it", turn the season around and prove us all wrong. but after taking a look at next year's schedule if he does not have a winning season this year bohn had better make a change, regardless of how financially painful it will be. and he better get this one right.

p.s.- i like a lot of what hawk has done for cu, turned our image around, got the team gpa way up, has the kid's best interest's at heart, is an overall good guy in a profession full scum bags, but ya gotta win some games.

Hawk's staff is beyond weak ( i said it so myself when he brought the DC from Boise here). And I'm not buying what Ringo is trying to say that we have limited money to give to coaches.. Who's to say that Hawk just wouldn't give more money to the cronies he has on the staff now?

Given the fact CU paid Barnett several million dollars to leave, and is about to do the same thing again to get Hawkins to leave, the idea that CU can't afford to pay their assistant coaches a decent salary is questionable.

Hawkins may not have ever been a coordinator but he had
years of experience as a head football coach and had a coaching record of 55-10 or something like that when he was hired.

CU can afford assistants similiar to the ones at Cincy, Toledo, Boise State, CSU, Buffalo, etc. Most HC's are a guru on one side or the other and thus they are the general and they then hire a guru for the other side. Stoops runs the defense period. That's why I'd never consider his D-coordinator for a head job. Same at USC. Hawk brought a questionable DC with him and hired a horrible OC - now gone.

If you hire a HC who isn't a guru on one side, and one of his coordinators replaces him (ala Peterson), then there is a big risk here as he's for sure only bringing one coordinator, and likely not the better of the two.

CU would be about as good as expected this year if they had a shut-down defense. I never expected a big improvement in our offense with the same QB and no talent infusion at WR (i held out hope on Simmons, but knew it would be 5-6 games before he would start to come on).

Our Defense has been way worst than I expected.

If memory serves, Hawkins agreed to a lower salary in order to pay more to his assistants. I know they make a lot more than Barnett's staff did.

Back