What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins or Embree? Who damaged our program more?

That's the dumbest side of the argument I have heard. I can't believe that you took the time to answer it. If only Bohn had disregarded his boss' direction and gone rogue all would have worked out. I'm sure Phil would have had a nice chuckle and stayed out of it from then on. All of the big donors wanted DH gone, and it didn't happen, Bohn would have only succeeded in getting his own ass fired sooner. Like him or hate him, you can't deny Mike loved the school, and cherished his job.

Umm.. Did you read what the sackman posted?

Different time, different environment. RG has done things that Bohn could never do. I wouldn't dispute that for a second. I just don't think that it would have mattered what Bohn tried to do. Dr. Phil was an institutional ****-block. By most accounts, Bohn wanted Hawkins fired after year four. That didn't happen. By most accounts, Embree was forced upon Bohn. Could he have done something about it? I honestly doubt it, given the environment at the time. Bohn had his shortcomings, that's true. Blaming him for where we are now ignores who he was working for, though.

I remember when the DH firing got circumvented after year four. I said if I were MB, I would have resigned. You cannot be the whipping boy and gain respeoct in your profession. I still think that would have been best for MB, he certainly would have landed a job elsewhere, and he wouldn't have the stain of the last three years here. Also he would have outed the source of the problem for all to see. Anybody with half a brain would have known what was going on and MB's resignation would not have been viewed negatively by most decision makers in the business.

I remember when the DH firing got circumvented after year four. I said if I were MB, I would have resigned. You cannot be the whipping boy and gain respeoct in your profession. I still think that would have been best for MB, he certainly would have landed a job elsewhere, and he wouldn't have the stain of the last three years here. Also he would have outed the source of the problem for all to see. Anybody with half a brain would have known what was going on and MB's resignation would not have been viewed negatively by most decision makers in the business.

Expecting someone to resign when their boss rolls down a stupid order is probably too high of an expectation. A more skillful AD would have worked the alumni and donor base into an uproar that would have forced fat Phil's hand into firing Zen Boy and hiring a decent coach. This is where Bohn failed, and a more forceful AD would have succeeded.

Expecting someone to resign when their boss rolls down a stupid order is probably too high of an expectation. A more skillful AD would have worked the alumni and donor base into an uproar that would have forced fat Phil's hand into firing Zen Boy and hiring a decent coach. This is where Bohn failed, and a more forceful AD would have succeeded.

I didn't expect MB to do it, I am just saying that is what I would have done, and if he had done it, he would be better off. There is a huge difference between having your boss tell you to do something you disagree with and having your boss dictate essential policy, guaranteed to fail, and leaving you holding the bag. In the latter, you walk, the former, you swallow your pride and say yes sir. In the end, MB still got ****canned. Might as well go on your own terms and not look like a windsock.

Mike Bohn. Quite possibly the worst CFB AD in recent history. And it's not even close

You have to remember who hired Bohn, Dr. Phil. He was hired in part because he knew the limitations that Dr. Phil wanted to operate under and agreed to do so. When he tried to go around those limitations Dr. Phil shut him down.

Had Bohn been the type to make Dr. Phil uncomfortable he would never have been hired in the first place.

What happened to the program over the past decade was not an accident. The people at the top set the priorities. I don't think they expected things to get as bad as they did but excellence was never on their list of priorities.

Bohn, Hawkins extra years, Embree, are all results of the priorities set from above.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

th

vs

Phil and George.jpg

RG is a lion. King.

MB is a dog. Loyal and lovable but obedient. Incapable of making decisions.

The hawk hire was a consensus A+. You're just using 20/20 hindsight and being idiots. Hawk and his mojo was supposed to be the cure to our so called toxic football program. He was brought in to "clean up" the mess.

I like ADs who actually talk to a potential head coach instead of rubber stamping a consultant recommendation.

Mike Bohn. Quite possibly the worst CFB AD in recent history. And it's not even close

I don't agree with slider much, but when I do, I drink a XX Equis.

Truth be told, Mike Bohn was a laughing stock to CU student athletes as well. He makes for a great politician in kissing babies, giving high fives and getting people excited but was worthless in doing what an AD has to do in this day and age, raise money and win. For all the college basketball love he gets, let's remember he hired Tad because UNC had a great year and unlike the home run hire he whiffed on, Tad was an easy slam dunk hire.

He toed the company line and had he done what an AD with a backbone would do, we wouldn't have had Year 5 with Hawkins. I honestly think we would have hired McElwain that off-season and even though I want to punch Sparkles in the face, he's one damn good coach. Instead we played the easy let's bring back the past. Oh well, we have MacIntyre. He's not the snake charmer that McElwain is but he can also coach, now he needs to add wins and P5 level high impact recruits.

It is partially redundant or its their new beer that is sexual Tres Equis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Phil DiStephano.

The man who insisted that Hawkins be kept in the job at least one year longer than any rational person would have. The same man who directed the hiring of Embree simply because He was cheap and was a "CU guy" to placate the fans without making a reasonable investment in a coach with a resume that justified getting a P5 job.

Hawkins and Embree both get their share of the blame but they were in the position to do that damage because the man at the top put them there.

I agree 100% with this post.

This was all a "perfect storm" - The sad part is, hawkins actually beat a ranked ou, wv and almost a ug, fsu

Ding, ding, ding.

It's the common thread.

Would have taken a superstar coach to exceed GB's success during that era. Let's remember that Bohn fired GB for losing ugly at the end of a season that reached the conference championship & bowl game after offering an extension earlier in the season when things were rolling.

The support, resources and administrative competence simply were not in place to allow a poor hire to be anything but a disaster. I'm not going to defend either Hawkins or Embree, but neither were as bad as they looked.

Certainly Bohn is hard to defend, but the situation with Gary wasn't as glorious as a "conference championship and bowl game" make it sound. That team collapsed and Gary had to be fired. Sometimes things change. And I'm pretty sure that Colorado was the toughest AD job in the country after the scandal and the lack of support from the University for the program.

DiStephano is the culprit.

Certainly Bohn is hard to defend, but the situation with Gary wasn't as glorious as a "conference championship and bowl game" make it sound. That team collapsed and Gary had to be fired. Sometimes things change. And I'm pretty sure that Colorado was the toughest AD job in the country after the scandal and the lack of support from the University for the program.

DiStephano is the culprit.

DiStephano wasn't even Chancellor until 2009. We had Bud Peterson in that role who was actually considered pretty athletics friendly

No athletics support+2 (probably 3) garbage football HC hires=Disaster

While McIntyre might not be able to make Colorado successful, I wouldn't clump him in with the "garbage" hires of Hawk and Embree. He atleast gets his players to actually play hard he just might not be able to recruit out of the position he was given. I wouldn't consider that garbage.

While McIntyre might not be able to make Colorado successful, I wouldn't clump him in with the "garbage" hires of Hawk and Embree. He atleast gets his players to actually play hard he just might not be able to recruit out of the position he was given. I wouldn't consider that garbage.

1 conference win in 2 seasons is garbage. True story

Mike Bohn.

WRONG AGAIN!

It was Gary Barnett. He told us to lower our expectations with respect to being competitive in the Big 12 and then followed though with his self-fulfilling declaration by quitting on recruiting, failing to supervise recruits' official visits( leading to the Lisa Simpson incident and lawsuit) then followed up with brilliant unforced errors during the fake scandal (Hnaida comments, recruits being taken to the Bus Stop strip joint) and then pulling his passive/aggressive BS, refusing DiStephano's offer to lighten up on recruiting restrictions.

Not to mention his debacles in coaching: Klatt- blowing his RS year for 4 hand-offs in a blow-out win against Baylor, leaving him in too long in blow-out losses to Miami and UT; then keeping his sh*tty coordinators Watson and Okruch, around far too long because BFF!; and finally refusing to accept an incentive-laden contract that was on the table for his taking, prior to his 138-33 mark in a string of losses, which did lead to his dismissal.

It's Barnett's fault Mike Bohn never figured out how to properly conduct a coaching search?:lol:

Back