What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins pulls Sumler's scholarship.

The program had better be glad the Darrell Scott soap opera has given them another episode this week, because if it hadn't, this had (actually, STILL HAS) the potential to blow up in their face big time.

i used to have problems with dan hawkins as a coach only, but this might want me make rethink my opinion of hawkins as a person.

What about players who have used up their eligibility, but still have a semester remaining before graduation? Do we cut them loose, too?

This is appalling. Hawkins has sunk to a new low and has begun to dig.

to play devils advocate we do all recall Sumler quit the team right? so that he could go play ball elsewhere? why not get what ever graduate degree he wants at CU?

Hawkins needs to be more transparent with his decisions. My old boss taught me something about running a business that Ill never forget. Always involve your employees in the finances of the business, and they will help you achieve your goals. If you make them guess how much money you are making, they will always assume its a factor well above what you actually make, and it will poison the relationship.
Hawk is at the point now where every decision he makes, that has any possibility of being wrong, is being questioned. Bunkering in Dal Ward is just going to make it worse. Sumler earned his scholarship for this year, and barring any unseen circumstance Hawk's decision reeks of pettyness. Dont make people guess why you made the decision, Hawk. Or, they will always assume the worst.

Hawkins needs to be more transparent with his decisions. My old boss taught me something about running a business that Ill never forget. Always involve your employees in the finances of the business, and they will help you achieve your goals. If you make them guess how much money you are making, they will always assume its a factor well above what you actually make, and it will poison the relationship.
Hawk is at the point now where every decision he makes, that has any possibility of being wrong, is being questioned. Bunkering in Dal Ward is just going to make it worse. Sumler earned his scholarship for this year, and barring any unseen circumstance Hawk's decision reeks of pettyness. Dont make people guess why you made the decision, Hawk. Or, they will always assume the worst.

:congrats:

@fatty...

i believe you nailed it. hawk gets no benefit of the doubt at all now (not that he deserves any) so all decisions are criticized. the problem is, however, that every time he DOES open his mouth, he says something that pisses someone off. so, now, he's bunkered down and not talking at all, which allows everyone to speculate. and, in this environment, the speculation isn't going to be favorable.

Why would anyone come here and play for this man when he pulls stunts like this.. Sumler was a Senior in class (redshirt junior in football wise).. Does Dan Hawkins pull every fourth year Senior's scholarship for the spring after they are done with football? Sumler wanted to move on with his life after giving four years here.. I don't think its much to ask for him to get his four years of scholarship to complete his degree.

Mike Bohn should do the right thing and FIRE DAN HAWKINS for this.. This man is a disgrace to our program.. I sure hope Bohn overturns this decision just to give a big f u to Talkins..

This goes against the grain of everything that is CU. For the last twenty (22) years, or as long as I have been following the Buffs - the "hunker down" mentality has been their MO. It has gone from one head coach to the next, and Dave Plati is the perfect front man for the entire operation. CU can do no wrong with the folks on the hill. It has always been their way or the highway - the past four months simply further illustrate that point.

I think there is probably some benefit from keeping SOME issues hidden. And there is probably some benefit to transparency, too. I do not like it when these types of issues occur (as they seem to regularly occur at CU) and we never hear a peep from CU. As Fatty stated - keeping silent just lets people make their own decision as to why CU acted a certain way.

You keep accusing me of that. It just is flat out not true that I support anything he does. I'm trying to remain neutral.

LMAO! Are you high? You try to remain neutral in regards to your love for cHawk? Please!

You love Coach Hawk. You've always loved the Hawk, and you always will love the Hawk.

He yanked a scholly from a guy trying to get his degree. Get your head outta of Hawk's arse. It's a petty move. Just as it was a petty move when he refused to release J-Fly for a period of time.

As BB has pointed out a couple of times, regardless of the reasoning, this is not the kind of press that the coaching staff needs right now. I hope that Bohn overturns the decision and does the right thing by Sumler.

I have no problem with yanking the scholarship. The kid is getting a free education and if he decides to play elsewhere, then why would we pay for his education?

I originally posted this in the threadjack that has become the "Scott denies report" thread but I figured it would be better off here.

Do graduating seniors still participate in football activities in the spring? If they do, then by quitting the team Sumler has decided not to do these activities and is not holding up his end of the deal. This is the only situation in which I could see this whole situation being ok. If graduating seniors don't participate in spring activities (conditioning, practice, mentoring, etc.) in any way then I agree with the majority that this is ridiculous and vindictive BUT if there is some obligation that Sumler set aside when he left the team, then he should not continue to receive an award for service NOT rendered.

The school is always going to lose the PR battle in a case like this because more than likely one of two things is true in this case: either

A) Our reading of the situation is correct that this was a bitter, petty move by Hawk to "punish" a kid who quit the team. In which case Hawk deserves the PR flack he will get from this.

or

B) There is more to the story and there is a legitimate reason for yanking the scholly (disciplinary, major bridge burning on his way out, etc). If this is the case, we'll never know the reason because the school isn't going to come out and discuss the real reason if, in fact, there is one. The school is pretty consistent in its attempt to keep personal issues with players private.

In either case, CU and Hawk specifically will come out looking like the bad guy here. The problem is that Hawk has used up any good will he had left from fans. Remember when Bzdelik yanked schollys from a handful of CU players when he arrived? He caught some flak, but ultimately given the benefit of the doubt and the story died - Hawk doesn't have that luxury and this will follow him unless he can bury it with some good news.

You guys are so blinded by emotion toward Hawkins that you will rip Hawkins for just about anything. Until you know, if you ever do, the exact facts of this case, maybe you should be a little more careful in venting.
The point is, there are likeley many things that could have weighed in on the decision of which we are just not privy to.

You know what? You're right. I bet you there is a reasonable (at least in Hawk's mind) explanation for this decision. And you know what else? I'm so glad that the Bo Pellinis, Bob Stoopses, and the Lane Kiffins of the college football world will explain this to recruits in exactly this fashion.

It doesn't matter what the reasoning was; facts are facts, and they will be exploited to the fullest extent by rival recruiters if nothing else. Even if the AD sides with Sumler in his appeal, this bell can't be unrung. A terribly short-sighted move by a terribly short-sighted individual.

I originally posted this in the threadjack that has become the "Scott denies report" thread but I figured it would be better off here.

Do graduating seniors still participate in football activities in the spring? If they do, then by quitting the team Sumler has decided not to do these activities and is not holding up his end of the deal. This is the only situation in which I could see this whole situation being ok. If graduating seniors don't participate in spring activities (conditioning, practice, mentoring, etc.) in any way then I agree with the majority that this is ridiculous and vindictive BUT if there is some obligation that Sumler set aside when he left the team, then he should not continue to receive an award for service NOT rendered.

I've kind of been wondering about the "rules" associated with the scholly in much the same way Golden has stated above.

My question is this: (Applies to those entering in fall semester, not early entries like Hirschman) If the scholarship is granted at the beginnign of the semester, is it kind of a "payment up front" on the athlete's participation (in good standing) for the upcoming semester/year?

Not that it justifies what Hawk did, I think "something is rotten in Denmark" so to say, but from a purely contractural POV, it seems that if Sumler "signed on the dotted line" for a full year at the beginning of the fall, then that would obligate him to participate in spring conditioning/practice/drills. Since he left the team prior to fulfilling that commitment, then the university has every right to revoke his scholarship. Of course GoldenBuff's scenario of the graduating senior's participation requirements could shoot a hole in this argument too.

Not saying it was right, but that may be Hawk's argument in this, and may also explain why J-Fly waited until after the spring was over to say he was leaving...

Why is it that everytime a player leaves this program the AD feels compelled to pull some kind of public stunt?

Why is it that everytime a player leaves this program the AD feels compelled to pull some kind of public stunt?

Incompetence, pettiness, players making a noisy exit, some bizarre notion that "doing things right" means doing exactly what Danny tells you to do or else, unfinished juice boxes, leaving orange peels on floor of locker room, who knows?

LMAO! Are you high? You try to remain neutral in regards to your love for cHawk? Please!

You love Coach Hawk. You've always loved the Hawk, and you always will love the Hawk.

He yanked a scholly from a guy trying to get his degree. Get your head outta of Hawk's arse. It's a petty move. Just as it was a petty move when he refused to release J-Fly for a period of time.
Thats about what I'd expect coming from you. Fact is, you and all the Hawkins haters are fuled by over the top emotion. Hey, I love your passion. But emotional outbursts aren't productive. I don't have any particular feeling about Hawkins one way or the other except to hope that he turns things around. How many posts have we seen where people actually want him to fail. There are those who are so over wraught with emotion that they want him gone even if he goes 12-0.

As BB has pointed out a couple of times, regardless of the reasoning, this is not the kind of press that the coaching staff needs right now. I hope that Bohn overturns the decision and does the right thing by Sumler.
There has been no press regarding this. At least that I've seen.

Thats about what I'd expect coming from you. Fact is, you and all the Hawkins haters are fuled by over the top emotion. Hey, I love your passion. But emotional outbursts aren't productive. I don't have any particular feeling about Hawkins one way or the other except to hope that he turns things around. How many posts have we seen where people actually want him to fail. There are those who are so over wraught with emotion that they want him gone even if he goes 12-0.

Hyperbole much?

Here's where the vast majority of Buff fans stand.
-Would love for the Buffs to turn this around, we are all starved for a decent on the field product. We want to the buffs to win in the worst way.
-4 years of getting smoked on the field, Hawkisms and overall incompetence have put us in a shut up and show me mode. Stuff like this Sumler issue is all to common, ie an issue that appears to be a complete mishandling. We keep hearing how Hawk" knows how to do this thing but time and time again over four consecutive losing seasons (never happened under a single coach EVER at CU) we see evidence to the contrary piling up.

HF- there really are people who want him gone if he wins 11 or 12 games next year there is a whole thread on it that i am sure you posted in. If that isnt the over the top emotion DBT is talking about what is?

HF- there really are people who want him gone if he wins 11 or 12 games next year there is a whole thread on it that i am sure you posted in. If that isnt the over the top emotion DBT is talking about what is?

I must have deleted that thread from my memory bank. I don't have any recollection of that. I agree that people that think that being ridiculous. He wins double digits and we are doing back flips.

I must have deleted that thread from my memory bank. I don't have any recollection of that. I agree that people that think that being ridiculous. He wins double digits and we are doing back flips.

I'm one of those rediculous people but I don't think I'm ridiculous. Here's my piont, if Hawk goes 12-0 I will be doing back flips for sure but I will still want him gone. The reason why I will still want him gone is be because the 12-0 record won't be because Hawk's a heck of a coach, it will be because he got some new assistants who are sh!t hot and they lead the team to victory. These assistants will immediately get hired away when the season's over and we will be stuck with Hawk, who would have signed a multi-year deal after a good season, for another half decade. It's lose/lose as long as we keep Hawk.

YOU may be doing back flips. I'm taking a double dose of Metamusil.

Back