What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins pulls Sumler's scholarship.

Like I said, reasonable folks can agree to disagree.

But of all the f-ups in Hawks' tenure, his handling of D. Sumler will not be what brings him down.

By the way, the one thing I haven't heard is Sumler complaining. Maybe I'm wrong and missed something but it seems like all the noise is coming from fans.

He made a commitment to CU in the summer / fall of 2009. CU owes him a financial commitment for spring 2010.

College athletes don't get paid for their services but one could say that their scholarships are basically salaries. Sumler put in the work to get his fall salary paid for but he quit after that and will not be working for his "salary" in the spring. It's like rodrigo said. If you get paid some amount of money per year to do your job and you quit 6 months in, they don't pay you for the rest of the year you won't be working. Even if you work in an industry that does most of its business in only a few months of the year, you don't get paid any more for that time than you do if you're in the doldrums time.

Simply, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. You have to stay committed to the company/football team for the whole year to earn your full salary/scholarship. If there were extenuating circumstances then I would say give him the scholly but he quit. He didn't get injured or have some sort of non-controllable personal issue. He decided that he didn't want to put in the work that was required (whatever that is for a graduating player) and so he shouldn't be "paid" for that work.

College athletes don't get paid for their services but one could say that their scholarships are basically salaries. Sumler put in the work to get his fall salary paid for but he quit after that and will not be working for his "salary" in the spring. It's like rodrigo said. If you get paid some amount of money per year to do your job and you quit 6 months in, they don't pay you for the rest of the year you won't be working. Even if you work in an industry that does most of its business in only a few months of the year, you don't get paid any more for that time than you do if you're in the doldrums time.

Simply, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. You have to stay committed to the company/football team for the whole year to earn your full salary/scholarship. If there were extenuating circumstances then I would say give him the scholly but he quit. He didn't get injured or have some sort of non-controllable personal issue. He decided that he didn't want to put in the work that was required (whatever that is for a graduating player) and so he shouldn't be "paid" for that work.

Sorry, I don't buy the "business" connection.

If that model was accurate, no football player's scholarship would extend beyond the semester they are last eligible to participate.

I think you're confusing being on the team for 4 seasons with living up to his end of the bargain for 4 years. Sumler was on the football team for 3.5 years (Summer of '06 to Winter of '09). I believe spring football/winter conditioning are every bit as important to the football team as the actual season.

Also, keep in mind that non-football players do not get football player benefits. Why should Demetrius get a free education for a semester?

Here's my analogy: I work in public accounting. We have our busy season which typically lasts between December and April/May. If I should leave my firm in May, should I expect to be paid through November after 1.5 years of work and 2 busy seasons? Nope.

CU football is still a business and won't get very far by giving out free semesters of schooling. Not to mention this sets a terrible precedent for Hawkins. What happens next year when 5 players who all did things the right way and fulfilled your definition of 4 years of obligations quit the team? Do we keep them all on scholarship for the spring semester so they can finish school?

This was the right move by CU.

This just happens to be a subject I am somewhat familiar with. I own a public accounting firm. :smile2: And your ass should be working right now, not posting on here... :lol:

The flaw I can see with your analogy is that it is not standard practice in public accounting for an employee to be paid for not working May-November after working tax season for four years. If a football player plays for four seasons, their final semester is still paid on scholarship, even though they are no longer eligible to participate in football activities. Unless, apparently, they are planning to transfer schools after the end of that second semester. Then, their fourth season of football is only good for a half season scholarship. It's the fact that Sumler's schollie is being cut in half for this season based solely on what he plans to do in the future that makes this whole thing look highly punitive to me...

Bob Loblaw said:
can't wait for junc's response to this. :lol:

I'm sure that's pretty much true on any subject... :smile2:

Here is the bottom line question. If Sumler had said he wasn't going to play next year because he had his degree and didn't want to waste time staying in school taking classes just so he could play football, would he have a schollie this semester?

If you think the answer to that is "yes", how can this possibly look like anything other than punishing him for deciding to go elsewhere for his graduate degree and play there?

This just happens to be a subject I am somewhat familiar with. I own a public accounting firm. :smile2: And your ass should be working right now, not posting on here... :lol:

The flaw I can see with your analogy is that it is not standard practice in public accounting for an employee to be paid for not working May-November after working tax season for four years. If a football player plays for four seasons, their final semester is still paid on scholarship, even though they are no longer eligible to participate in football activities. Unless, apparently, they are planning to transfer schools after the end of that second semester. Then, their fourth season of football is only good for a half season scholarship. It's the fact that Sumler's schollie is being cut in half for this season based solely on what he plans to do in the future that makes this whole thing look highly punitive to me...

I'm sure that's pretty much true on any subject... :smile2:

As for posting during work...Hypocrite :lol:

Quitting football means losing your football scholarship.

Last edited:
Here is the bottom line question. If Sumler had said he wasn't going to play next year because he had his degree and didn't want to waste time staying in school taking classes just so he could play football, would he have a schollie this semester?

If you think the answer to that is "yes", how can this possibly look like anything other than punishing him for deciding to go elsewhere for his graduate degree and play there?

No, he wouldn't. He quit football. The reason doesn't matter. You don't get a 4 year degree for 3.5 years of football.

What you're saying is you want to penalize the guy for doing the best thing for the team. If he simply kept this plan to himself and didn't bother to tell the coaches until after the semester, the coaches wouldn't have known they needed to recruit 4 RBs. Taking his scholarship away is just telling the guys that if they plan to do this, which is perfectly within the rules, they shouldn't say anything to the coaches because it will just cost you a semester of bills.

I still think there's more to this situation than any of us know about. Possibly much more, and it may be a while before we find out. So stay tuned for the next episode of As Boulder Turns.

I have to say amazingly that I agree with DBT here. Sumler bailed on the program, not the other way around. If he had stuck it out through spring semester and Spring ball and got his degree, and then left, that would have been fine by me. An academic full ride scholarship is extremely valuable and should not be wasted on somebody who has decided they no longer want to be part of the program. Hawk absolutely made the right call.

I have to say amazingly that I agree with DBT here. Sumler bailed on the program, not the other way around. If he had stuck it out through spring semester and Spring ball and got his degree, and then left, that would have been fine by me. An academic full ride scholarship is extremely valuable and should not be wasted on somebody who has decided they no longer want to be part of the program. Hawk absolutely made the right call.

Just to be clear, what I said is that there may be underlying facts of which we are not aware so we should be cafeful in going after Hawkins on this one. I layed out some possible scenarios, but I have no clue as to what the facts are in this case.

No, he wouldn't. He quit football. The reason doesn't matter. You don't get a 4 year degree for 3.5 years of football.

How would 4 years of football w/o a redshirt look any different this semester than what DS is doing?? You go to class, you can't participate in football. Is somebody who plays 4 seasons in 4 years only giving the program 3.5 years of football?

Back