What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins Supporters?...Part 2

Hawk Love?

• Hawk is the savior of this program

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I'm no D1 Football coach & trust in Hawk

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • We will see what happens

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I love CU too much to bad mouth the coach

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Hell no, the coach has to go!

Votes: 63 55.3%

• Total voters
This seems like a good strategy. The face of a university athletic department at a Big 12 school (or at least most recognizable face) should not worry about PR at all.:wow:

Fair enough. And the Screw PR maybe over the top, but really, I don't read his quotes as being arrogant or slams on the fans.

I consider myself a typical fan and many of his comments have been spot on, and yet for some reason I don't feel offended. I read his comments completely different I guess.

Last edited:
What was the exact quote about "risk"? Chilly's making it sound like it was about mortgaging everything to chase a dream, but I thought it was a very general quote about making risk decisions in a pressure situation. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone have the quote or quotes?

No, because you see nothing wrong with a million dollar man slamming fans yet feel it's horrific for any cu fans to slam him.

You say fans aren't behind the scenes of every detail, well guess what? Hawk doesn't know the "behind the scenes" details of the fans, their sacrifices or risks they have taken.

Arrogant, self loving , better than everyone else. That's the impression he gives off, seems like it's rubbing off on a few posters here.

I don't get that impression. I get the impression of man who is tired of hear nothing but negative. I get the impression he is a man who is doing his best to build a program, and acknowledges that things are not on track, but he understands that not everything goes as planned in life, and you sometimes have to re-evalaute. I also get the impression that he is a man who is tired of hearing the obvious.

When you make comments like the "million dollar man" I really question if this is about Dan Hawkins performance or his pay scale.

What was the exact quote about "risk"? Chilly's making it sound like it was about mortgaging everything to chase a dream, but I thought it was a very general quote about making risk decisions in a pressure situation. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone have the quote or quotes?

I tried to find it as well. But I remember when I read it the first time, that is what I took away from it..

Fair enough. And the Screw PR maybe over the top, but really, I don't read his quotes as being arrogant or slams on the fans.

I consider myself a typical fan and many of his comments have been spot on, and yet for some reason I don't feel offended. I read his comments completely different I guess.

I don't expect Hawkins to be cheery or complimenting fans at every turn. I just see him going down the wrong/losing road with his approach. Maybe what he has said thus far really is not that bad, but what happens if the losses continue to pile up? You think he is not eventually going to say something that he really regrets? I guess what I'm saying is that he is really straddling the line right now with the comments toward the fans. Once he crosses that line, he is a goner because no one will like him, let alone support him. Some things are better left unsaid.

First off we can't afford to RS any blue chip QB we might get. And they will continue to use Cody against us long after he's gone(assuming Hawk is still here). They will question his coaching decisions and ask the kid if he want's to place a possible NFL career in Hawkins' hands.

This Cody Hawkins fiasco will haunt Dan for a long time imo.

Agreed. Even after he is gone people will continue to say that he cannot develop a QB, even one that was under his roof. Fair? No, but this is recruiting and football. Until a solid QB is developed it's going to be hard for Hawk to get a blue chipper in here. We need a proven QB coach on staff for us to get one. Either that happens or someone that is willing to take a risk on this staff...then again what would an 18 year old know about taking risks?!?! If I was a blue chipper there's no way I'd come to CU right now. I'd rather sit on the bench at USC for 2 or 3 years to get my shot.

Dan has killed himself with the media and it'll only come back to haunt him. The intramurals quote was EMBRACED by the fans. We loved his enthusiasm. We loved him being brash. No one here expected a Big 12 championship this year, but we wanted improvement. Improvement over last year which was riddled with excuses. We are starting to see that improvement, but it's mid-season. By turning against the fans and alums he is only hurting himself.

We came out flat against CSU and Toledo because they were trying "new" things. They should have realized our safeties were green and they should have put Burney on the field in fall ball. They should have realized that our DL was going to need help and put more young guys on the line last year (our senior DTs last year got something like 85% of the snaps). Our WR situation was mostly out of their control, but we knew that. We were going to run it. We couldn't run it against CSU though? We panicked and abandoned it though even when they weren't running away with it. TCU is favored by 19 over CSU today. Toledo is probably a big underdog to whoever they are playing. No excuses, but yet that's what we hear. I can take a CSU defeat if it's close. It wasn't. We got blown out after tearing them apart last year, they just couldn't put up points. Toledo was inexcusable though and I'm blaming Collins for that. Since Collins is on staff and has defended his gameplan against Mizzou for 2 years now I put the blame largely on Hawk for keeping him around. No way the Toledo QB is better than Colt and his arsenal of WRs and TEs. None.

Oh and to people that say that you don't know what it's like having kids or taking risks well blah, blah, **** you. You are right, I don't know what it's like having kids. HOWEVER, he chose to have kids. He chose to have his kid be his QB. He chose to be a HC at a big school. You aren't a victim when you get to make the choices. We all make choices in life. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they are good, sometimes there are bad and sometimes they are terrible. Learn from them in any case and you'll be a better person for it. Admit when they are wrong and bask in the glory when they are right. Hawk hasn't accepted responsibility for his team's performance and put the blame on his shoulders. Taking the heat for poor play is one thing, but taking responsibility for it is a different matter. That's why I'm not on his bandwagon anymore.

I don't expect Hawkins to be cheery or complimenting fans at every turn. I just see him going down the wrong/losing road with his approach. Maybe what he has said thus far really is not that bad, but what happens if the losses continue to pile up? You think he is not eventually going to say something that he really regrets? I guess what I'm saying is that he is really straddling the line right now with the comments toward the fans. Once he crosses that line, he is a goner because no one will like him, let alone support him. Some things are better left unsaid.

I guess my hope is that he will learn from some of this and try and do better. Maybe he won't. Maybe he does fall of the cliff and say something totally stupid. It's not like Gundy never fell of the deep end at a reporters question.

I can only speak for me, and I know if I was in Hawkins shoes alot worse would have already have been said in response to some of the questions, so it is really tough for me to fault the guy for being human.

Just caught up on this thread. These are the things I "learned" from Chillax.

1. Blowing off the fans with no information is "being honest."
2. You have to have played in the NFL to have an opinion about football.

Come on, this is not rocket science, it's football. Performances are out there for the world to see, including personnel decisions, game plans, and play calls. Making a ton of money doesn't make you smarter than anyone, just responsible for results.

When it comes to taking big risks, how many people do you know who have quit there jobs and double mortgaged their homes to start a business on nothing but faith along.

Can we please admit, once and for all, that Dan Hawkins is NOT one of those people??

This seems like a good strategy. The face of a university athletic department at a Big 12 school (or at least most recognizable face) should not worry about PR at all.:wow:

Gary Barnett approves of this message.... :thumbsup:

BTW, I'm pretty sure one of the things his supporters generally cite in defense of Hawkins is his ability to change the image of the CU football program. If that isn't "PR", I'm not sure what is....

One thing that bugs me about Hawkins is that he comes across as very arrogant, especially on his radio show. I can't stand the way he interacts with fans when they ask him a question that is obviously "stupid" in his mind. He seems to relish in letting the "fan" know how "stupid" he is. He could probably get away with that if he were winning. But in the program's current state, it makes him look like an ass.

One thing that bugs me about Hawkins is that he comes across as very arrogant, especially on his radio show. I can't stand the way he interacts with fans when they ask him a question that is obviously "stupid" in his mind. He seems to relish in letting the "fan" know how "stupid" he is. He could probably get away with that if he were winning. But in the program's current state, it makes him look like an ass.

And I think that attitude is exactly the point where the criticism of him goes from being strictly professional about his coaching and becomes personal. Obviously some people are just assholes, and nobody is defending them, but I really think a lot of the attitude shift with Hawk from "good guy, in over his head" to "arrogant prick, in over his head" goes back to the condescending comments he has directed at fans.

And I think that attitude is exactly the point where the criticism of him goes from being strictly professional about his coaching and becomes personal. Obviously some people are just assholes, and nobody is defending them, but I really think a lot of the attitude shift with Hawk from "good guy, in over his head" to "arrogant prick, in over his head" goes back to the condescending comments he has directed at fans.
There are definitely a bunch of moronic fans out there who go way over the top. Hawk's mistake is lumping the good fans, the majority, in with the morons. And maybe he doesn't do it intentionally. Maybe his anger is really directed at the morons. But he doesn't go out of his way to separate the good from the bad.

There are definitely a bunch of moronic fans out there who go way over the top. Hawk's mistake is lumping the good fans, the majority, in with the morons. And maybe he doesn't do it intentionally. Maybe his anger is really directed at the morons. But he doesn't go out of his way to separate the good from the bad.

Agree 100%. :thumbsup:

How come Hawk can't get this? He's not a dumb guy. It just amazes me on how he is choosing to go about this.

Back