What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins take on the QB situation

Darth Snow

Hawaiian Buffalo
Club Member
Junta Member
Get ready for some heads to pop. :bang:. Also check out his take on the offensive coordinator position. Looks like he's still gonna micromanage...
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&atclid=204900480

CUBuffs.com: Quarterbacks . . . does anybody go in (to spring drills) as the leader?

Hawkins: "No. We'll just see how it shakes out. And to some degree we do that everywhere. I mean there's a few spots where you've got guys who obviously - guys like Jalil (Brown) and Jimmy (Smith, both cornerbacks) - certainly have an edge.

"But I've never liked it in the spring when you go, 'Oh, yeah, he's the starting (whatever).' And obviously in the O-line you've got some guys who are more experienced. I expect (Mike) Iltis to get back in there and battle and see where he shakes out - whether that's a center/guard. There's going to be tremendous competition in that whole front line.

"I just don't like coming into the spring and saying, 'He's the starting whatever,' because to me, you've just got to start over and say let's see who's going to play and do the things it takes to be successful.

"Both of those guys (Hansen and Cody Hawkins) will play with the 'ones' and the 'twos' and we'll evaluate them every day and see what happens in the scrimmages. And then see where we're at."

CUBuffs.com: Would you think that by the spring game (April 10) you would have one of those guys named your starter?

Hawkins: "I think after the spring game you'd like to, but you just have to wait and see where you're at. If there's a clear emergence or a strong feeling one way or another amongst the guys on the staff, you do it. If there's not, there's not."

CUBuffs.com: What did Hansen show you and the staff during his time last fall as the starter that . . . (question unfinished).

Hawkins: "Well, his athleticism always helps - being able to run always helps you. But they're both very similar kids; they're very smart and good leaders and they're what you want in terms of toughness, work ethic and leadership.

"I've always said Tyler is more athletic and has a stronger arm. Cody probably has a little edge in understanding what's going on, and his accuracy. Where Tyler's arm is probably a little stronger, I think Cody is probably a little more accurate, and where Tyler can run around a little bit more, I think Cody . . . but again, I think there's just a sliver (of difference) when it comes down to it."

CUBuffs.com: Does their going into spring ball even . . . what kind of message does that send to Tyler?

Hawkins: "Well, they've all got to compete. It's the same thing when Cody was the starter when he was a freshman. You gotta compete. You've gotta want to compete, you gotta like to compete. I think that's for the rest of the team as well. We haven't treated that situation any differently any year, or any position for that matter."

CUBuffs.com: But with that position being under the microscope that it always is, with that position getting the attention it did last fall, does this figure to be an unpopular decision out there, in your mind?

Hawkins: "Don't know . . . don't know. But I think the other thing you have to consider is, if you have a guy who was your starter and really, you look at Cody's situation when he was a freshman, he did win six games and go to a bowl game, and then we said, 'You gotta compete' (in spring ball).

"So it's one thing if you go out and win seven, eight, nine games and we say, 'You're going to compete.' But when you go 3-9 and we're not going to open it up to competition? You're going to say somebody's an incumbent? I have a hard time with that when you win 10, let alone when you win three."

This is one decision that Coach Hawk needs to completely leave in Kiesau's hands. EK's the quarterback coach and the offensive coordinator, so it's in his wheelhouse anyway. And there is no way a dad can be completely objective about his son.

I will say this, though. Tyler is acting like he's the man and sounding like it in his interviews. My impression is that it's his job and he finally seems to have turned the corner and is ready to lead. Honestly, though, if Cody wasn't the coach's son I don't think that Dan's comments would be that big of a deal. We've got one QB who went 1-4 and another QB who went 2-5. While there are a ton of reasons that the job should be Tyler's, the bottom line is 1-4/ 2-5 / 3-9. Nobody should be exempt from competition with those numbers.

Here's a brief interview Tom Kensler did with Tyler Hansen for the Post:

“I want to go through all of spring practice without throwing an interception,” said Hansen, a junior-to-be. “I really want to do that. We have to learn that we absolutely can’t make turnovers.”

And?

“We need to get some swagger back,” Hansen said.

Kensler was definitely complimentary. Sounded like he was impressed by him.

I have a hard time with a coach who continues to employ the same tactics and strategies in the face of a 15-33 overall record. Note to Hawkins: Whatever you've been doing the last four years HAS NOT WORKED!!!

exactly how I feel about the coaching staff..

"when you go 3-9 and we're not going to open it up to competition? You're going to say somebody's an incumbent? I have a hard time with that when you win 10, let alone when you win three."

At least in Danny's mind, the stage is being set for the return of Cody...I hope I'm wrong about that. "A sliver of difference?", really? Only to a Dad I suppose. I would imagine Cody has a sharper grasp on what the O is trying to do...even if it does change every year. Accuracy? I don't know about that....floaters thrown off the back foot aren't exactly what I would call an accurate throw, even if they do land in the vicinity of a WR. Hansen has a great deal of work to do, but it is painfully obvious who is the better athlete/QB. Give Hansen the reps and let him learn with experience. The numbers last year say a lot, TH had better numbers with less experience, and stiffer competition. If CH couldn't match offensive production in garbage time against the weak OOC CU had last year why in the world do you think he 's going to do it now? I have very little confidence at this point...

I think you're right, lefty. Dan-o is preparing us for the return of lil Hawk. I would be more upset about it, but this is exactly what I expect from him. If he hasn't learned from his mistakes in the past, why would he start now?

You know this coaching staff really makes me want to bang my head through a brick wall. Why do we hear the same freaking thing YEAR after YEAR? Einstein said Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

How is this different from what this coaching staff is doing and administration? At least we realize there needs to be changes.

This is one decision that Coach Hawk needs to completely leave in Kiesau's hands. EK's the quarterback coach and the offensive coordinator, so it's in his wheelhouse anyway. And there is no way a dad can be completely objective about his son.

Exactly. A dad is always going to favor his own son to some extent when it comes to playing time, it's simply human nature.

This is ****ing stupid. Nothing has changed since November. Cody still holds the interception record, he does not make better decisions than TH. If Cody starts Dan needs to be fired on the spot. He obviously is incapable of learning anything. Probably going to try out the groupings again, too.

I don't think Dan is crazy enough to bring out Cody - how could you put your son in that situation?

"I've always said Tyler is more athletic and has a stronger arm."

there's some insight. oh boy. i think that aspect may be out of the realm of opinion venturing into the land of facts....along with gravity and the sky being blue.

I am pretty much convinced we are going to see both QBs. Again.

I guess I question how accurate Cody really is, along with his ability to read defenses. The kid has started many games over the last three seasons and still makes freshman mistakes. The whole situation is just hilariously bad.

I am absolutely convinced we will see Cody play meaningful minutes next season while Hansen is healthy.

I love Cody's heart and I know he has given everything he has to the team, but he shouldn't be out there. He just doesn't have the tools.

I guess I question how accurate Cody really is, along with his ability to read defenses. The kid has started many games over the last three seasons and still makes freshman mistakes. The whole situation is just hilariously bad.

As much as I'd like to pile on either QB the hilariously bad unit last year was our Oline, and it wasnt even an athleticism or size issue like it is with the QB's. Iit was a coaching issue, how many dumb penalties and missed assignments did we have?

:yeahthat: I'm sorry, but the kid who really can't throw anything beyond the 3 yard curl with any kind of success is not more accurate, he's just throwing routes that should be impossible to miss. The idea that there is only a sliver of difference is fantasy. TH is MUCH more athletic, has a clearly stronger arm and honestly gives up nothing in terms of decision making or reading defenses - supposed strengths of Cody's that have never shown up on the field.

And if we're just playing the "everybody gets to compete" card, why no mention of Hirschman or any of the other QBs on the roster? We're all about open competition, but the only player other than the returning starter who seems to be in the discussion just happens to be Cody.

This is still a ****ing joke, and it will be until a change is made...

Sigh.. just when it sounds like there isn't much to the Cody has a chance thing, there's Dan.

I liked the subtle reference to having 6 OL for spring too. It has been many years since you only had 6 OL for spring man, stop ******* throwing in little excuses.

Cody returning to the field is a good thing, in that it will help to facilitate Daddy Hawkins departure sooner rather than later.

Cody might grasp the offense somewhat better, but that would be about it. TH is far superior physically. CH might make an "accurate" throw, but because of lack of arm strength it gets picked. Also, his height greatly limits him. Though TH isn't super tall, he can still see over the line and throw over D-Linemen without having to put a ton of air under the ball. For CH to get a strong throw he has to step and drive with his back foot through the throw... he can't put alot of air under the ball. This creates issues with throwing lanes... CH can't throw over a 6 foot plus o-lineman unless he puts a ton of air under the ball... this gives DBs time to react. Essentially, because of his height, a large number of throws or options he has on a given pass play are taken away because there won't be a throwing lane for him to deliver the ball through, he will have to float a pass or he might not even be able to see a receiver because of his height. Combine the height issue with a lack of foot speed and a lack of a strong arm= difficulty. DH probably points to CHs freshman year... but I'm still not impressed. He was alright, but for throwing over 450 passes and having barely 3,000 passing yards makes one wonder. In addition, only one 300 yard game... if you are throwing 40 passes a game, you would hope for more than one 300 yarder... it's a tough situation for CH because dad wants his son to play, and I think CH takes alot of the heat for his dad's decisions

Agree with all above. We have seen Cody's ceiling...give the majority of the reps to Tyler this spring and let him learn. If Cody was trotted out onto the field as a starter next fall in the absense of injury to Tyler, then he should be fired on the spot. If he loses to CSU, he should be fired on the spot...

I have absolutely no confidence in DH's ability as a head coach, or in his ability to let his assistants do their job. He appears to have learned nothing over the past four years which is unbelievable!

Why is it that no other coach in the country - including Kiesau last year, who was then forced to publicly backpedal - has a problem with saying "he's our guy and we're going to stick with him"?

Why is it ONLY Dan Hawkins that thinks he needs to have an open QB competition every year - if not every week? Might it have something to do with... I don't know... his relationship with one of his QBs?

Why is it that no other coach in the country - including Kiesau last year, who was then forced to publicly backpedal - has a problem with saying "he's our guy and we're going to stick with him"?

Why is it ONLY Dan Hawkins that thinks he needs to have an open QB competition every year - if not every week? Might it have something to do with... I don't know... his relationship with one of his QBs?

I see nothing wrong with saying nobody's job is safe and having open competition. But when he says things like there is only a "sliver" of difference between TH and CH... when it's blatantly obvious to all who watched the Buffs who the better QB is... that is what makes no sense.

and really, you look at Cody's situation when he was a freshman, he did win six games and go to a bowl game, and then we said, 'You gotta compete' (in spring ball).

Does it bother anybody else that Dan refers to that season like some kind of high water mark? "Gee, Cody won 6 games AND went to a bowl game and we still made HIM compete for his job - how can anybody think everybody doesn't have to compete every season after seeing that?" I guess to me it isn't that hard to imagine that a team that finished below .500 and lost the WeedEater bowl might still consider open competition for the QB spot, but to Dan apparently that season was so great that sticking with the status quo would have been the natural move... :huh:

And yes, that does mean I think a 3-9 team should be looking at open competition for the position too. But the competition he's talking about has already happened for two years. For two years one player emerged the winner. The CLEAR winner imo. At some point rehashing the same competition over and over does nothing but disrupt the continuity of the team and leave everybody thinking the thoughts that are coming out in this thread. I would have far less problem with that story if it had been about a truly open competition than simply Tyler/Cody, round 57.... :rolling_eyes:

The other gem in that interview was concerning the offense during his time at CU:

[FONT=Cambria, serif]"We always tweak stuff . . . it hasn't been our scheme. I think having more receivers knowing what they're doing, and having the ability to do it is going to help us a bunch on the edge.

[/FONT] [FONT=Cambria, serif]"Having more guys in the offensive line . . . you've got a couple of quarterbacks that have played, a couple of tailbacks that have played, a bunch more receivers. Ryan Deehan has had some experience at tight end . . . really, it's just a case of executing better and that comes down to running the football, being solid there and not turning the ball over and getting continuity there. [/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria, serif]"It's interesting . . . I hate using this term, but it's popular. People talk about the spread and I don't know what that is . . . we're a multiple offense. A lot of teams that were conventional or multiple - if that's the term you want to use - said we're going to scrap that and go to the spread. That didn't solve it for them. [/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria, serif]"Virginia did that. Auburn did that with (Tommy) Tuberville. I mean, that doesn't solve it. You have to get better at what you do. That's the crux of it - getting better at what you do . . . I hate using that term (spread) because you've got a lot of teams in our league that play three or four wides and they're all extremely different in how they do it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Cambria, serif]"But it's about getting good at what you do. It's not about, 'Let's run their offense.'"[/FONT]

:rofl2::rofl2:

Is that why the offense was overhauled before the 2008 season and then changed again before 2009? He must honestly believe Buffs fans are the dumbest fans in America.
[FONT=Cambria, serif][/FONT]

The other gem in that interview was concerning the offense during his time at CU:

:rofl2::rofl2:

Is that why the offense was overhauled before the 2008 season and then changed again before 2009? He must honestly believe Buffs fans are the dumbest fans in America.

i don't know what to say about that quote. Auburn didn't have the personnel (their QB's on campus when Tuberville made the switch and hired that dude from Troy to be OC made Jamal Lord look like Dan Fouts in Year 1 of Callahan's mighty WCO). and UVA, well...UVA a great year is 7 wins in the ACC.

Texas Tech and Leach rode the non-existing spread into a couple top 15 finishes. like the "style" or not, that's some significant success. the Hawkins "multiple offense" has finished last in the league in total yards the last two years. i think that's a more convincing stat than what happened in Charlottesville, VA.

I am not advocating the spread here, btw.

Let's just start with running "a" offense. I see/hear nothing but jibberish from this clown.

It is very clear to me that it is not the kids - it is the coach.

wasn't the "no huddle" popular, too? Sir Dan, hater of the masses? :thumbsup:

i think the high water-mark of the spread in the Big XII was two years ago. so, maybe Dan just saw the Dark Knight, too.

other then the whole Pete Carroll, Rich Rod and a number of other coaches who say every position is open every monday and you are fighting for minutes, no other coaches do this especially not good ones.

Just hurry up and name CH the starter. With him and our player grouping offense we will be just fine. All we need to do is tweek a few little things, stop the gashers, and bring the lunch pail.

We were only 10 plays away from a bowl game last year. Why is everyone so upset.

Hawkins has a proven formula for winning 3 games a year. If things really pop from him in 2010, we could be looking at 4 and even an outside chance of 5 wins.

Speaking for myself, I'm fully on-board with Hawkins, both CH and Daddy. Lead us to the promise land. 5 wins here we come!

Back