What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins take on the QB situation

Does it bother anybody else that Dan refers to that season like some kind of high water mark? "Gee, Cody won 6 games AND went to a bowl game and we still made HIM compete for his job - :

i agree. Cody competed with Nick Nelson as i recall. who else was on the depth chart after White and Cox left? NN was a juco t-fer, yeah? in 07, Cody also had a defense with two NFL players on it in Dizon and Wheatley. T-Wheat basically beats OU by himself by taking Malcom Kelley off the map....and Bradford having to force throws on secondary reads.

Let's just start with running "a" offense. I see/hear nothing but jibberish from this clown.

It is very clear to me that it is not the kids - it is the coach.

Amen to that, lets do something and stick with it.

I'm not nearly as worried as everyone else is, apparently. I'm of the mind that Tyler needs to be pushed right now to reach his potential. I think he is a little too lackadaisical and frankly needs to become more of a field general than simply the best option. Tyler made alot of plays last year purely out of skill and instinct, but he can learn alot from Cody's mental game. Tyler has been jerked around his first two years, but I want to see some hunger and maturity from him. I think he has the potential; but I also think that he might slack off a little on taking ownership of the position if he were just handed the job. Hawk says alot of stupid things, but does anyone honestly think that he is going to start Cody next year???

I'm not nearly as worried as everyone else is, apparently. I'm of the mind that Tyler needs to be pushed right now to reach his potential. I think he is a little too lackadaisical and frankly needs to become more of a field general than simply the best option. Tyler made alot of plays last year purely out of skill and instinct, but he can learn alot from Cody's mental game. Tyler has been jerked around his first two years, but I want to see some hunger and maturity from him. I think he has the potential; but I also think that he might slack off a little on taking ownership of the position if he were just handed the job. Hawk says alot of stupid things, but does anyone honestly think that he is going to start Cody next year???

I want to see Tyler pushed by Hirschman, not Cody. At least that would be a legitimate competition.

I fully expect Cody to play meaningful minutes next year. Yes, he might even start some games.

Maybe Mike Bohn should tell Hawkins that nobody is coming in as the "starter" at HC. There is a sliver of difference between Dan and Kiesau and Cabral and that maybe after Spring Ball things will get worked out. Let's see who does the things to be successful.

Would that motivate him too?

Maybe Mike Bohn should tell Hawkins that nobody is coming in as the "starter" at HC. There is a sliver of difference between Dan and Kiesau and Cabral and that maybe after Spring Ball things will get worked out. Let's see who does the things to be successful.

Would that motivate him too?

Outstanding idea. Rep given. I totally agree.

i've not gone back thru the whole thread, but doesn't hansen still have a rs year? if they screw him after spring ball, couldn't he just transfer out and have 2 to play 1 (or go lower division)?

i am not going to get too worked up about this until we see how it plays out... if hawkins installs cody as the starter, there will be a nuclear meltdown among the fanbase. the blowback will hit bohn too--- the money boosters have been asked to eat a lot of **** by this administration since they made the ill-fated decision to keep hawkins another year. i don't think there is going to be much tolerance for any more shenanigans by the staff... the impact will be felt by the whole CUAD.

let's just see how it goes...

Does it bother anybody else that Dan refers to that season like some kind of high water mark? "Gee, Cody won 6 games AND went to a bowl game and we still made HIM compete for his job - how can anybody think everybody doesn't have to compete every season after seeing that?" I guess to me it isn't that hard to imagine that a team that finished below .500 and lost the WeedEater bowl might still consider open competition for the QB spot, but to Dan apparently that season was so great that sticking with the status quo would have been the natural move... :huh:

And yes, that does mean I think a 3-9 team should be looking at open competition for the position too. But the competition he's talking about has already happened for two years. For two years one player emerged the winner. The CLEAR winner imo. At some point rehashing the same competition over and over does nothing but disrupt the continuity of the team and leave everybody thinking the thoughts that are coming out in this thread. I would have far less problem with that story if it had been about a truly open competition than simply Tyler/Cody, round 57.... :rolling_eyes:

Yes, it bothers me terribly. 6-7 is a bad season, not a great one.

Against my better judgement, I'll defend Hawk here just a little bit. I'm ok with positions (even QB) being open going INTO spring. Everyone knows the talent gap between TH and CH is more than a "sliver", but Tyler hasn't exactly lit the world on fire and I actually agree with Hawk that no one should feel comfortable coming off a 3-9 season. If this carries over into fall or we go back to the 2 QB garbage, this all goes out the window and Hawk's name is Mud.

Cody's limitations seem pretty obvious, but you'll never hear Hawk talk about them and I don't think it's his nature to do that with kids. I realize the fact that being his son complicates the issue, but you could draw a (rough) comparison to the handling of the Mahnke/Polk situation. You'll never hear Hawk say the Polk is the guy because Mahnke got smoked repeatedly in the Toledo game, but we'd all be very surprised (and probably pissed) if this was a true battle going into fall.

Of course Hawk has a bad track record on this issue and I could be proven wrong, but I would be very surprised if TH wasn't designated the starter leaving Spring ball.

Cue the "you're a fool if you believe that" posts...

Against my better judgement, I'll defend Hawk here just a little bit. I'm ok with positions (even QB) being open going INTO spring. Everyone knows the talent gap between TH and CH is more than a "sliver", but Tyler hasn't exactly lit the world on fire and I actually agree with Hawk that no one should feel comfortable coming off a 3-9 season. If this carries over into fall or we go back to the 2 QB garbage, this all goes out the window and Hawk's name is Mud.

Cody's limitations seem pretty obvious, but you'll never hear Hawk talk about them and I don't think it's his nature to do that with kids. I realize the fact that being his son complicates the issue, but you could draw a (rough) comparison to the handling of the Mahnke/Polk situation. You'll never hear Hawk say the Polk is the guy because Mahnke got smoked repeatedly in the Toledo game, but we'd all be very surprised (and probably pissed) if this was a true battle going into fall.

Of course Hawk has a bad track record on this issue and I could be proven wrong, but I would be very surprised if TH wasn't designated the starter leaving Spring ball.

Cue the "you're a fool if you believe that" posts...

Had we not already experienced this cluster**** last year I would agree with you. But the way the QB position was handled last year does not give me any comfort going forward. Cody should not be in the mix to be the starter. Period. End of story. He is a great backup, but that's where it should end. Let Hansen and Hirschman battle it out for the #1 spot and redshirt the loser (for real, none of this pretend redshirt bull****).

Barring injury to TH, or a 1 - 4 start, Cody isn't starting any games this year. If the Buffs are at all competitive, Cody will barely see the field. Not for the 2-minute drill, and not to try to jump-start the team in losing efforts.

Hawk has made lots of mistakes, but he's not a complete moron. Both he and Cody will be vilified if Cody gets any meaningful playing time, and DH knows it. He's not going there, IMHO.

TH's record and performance are not so strong that he should get the nod now for the starting job. But, my guess is that Hawk will name him the starter after the spring game. Just like with open practices, Hawk knows there's a PR angle to all of this and his stock is so low that he won't be able to leave the QB position as an open competition for long.

if the coaches don't blow the whistle 3 seconds before the defense gets to the qb, TH will be our starter.

The more I think about this it is obvious to me DH should not be involved in this call. IMO, and in a way I don't blame him, he sees any problems on O as a combimnation of thisngs that aren't necesarily the fault of CH. I have to admit, there is a little bit of truth to that. But DH is somewhat blinded on this issue.

However, ever since KU in '08, it has been obvious to me CH just simply doesn't have the arm or the mobility to be a B12 QB. The DC's figured CH out by mid-07 IMO, but by KU in '08 EVERYBODY knew how to defend CU. Play the run, bring heat early and often on pass downs. When CH retreated 25+ yds. in to the endzone for a safety, I thought to myself, there has to be somebody else on the roster to put in there. It was obvious then, and it is obvious now. Somehow, 250 completed three yard curls later and the career lead in interceptions, we are still hearing about how there is only a sliver of difference between CH and TH. Maybe that is true. If it is, it means this staff has utterly failed to recruit and/or develop a legit B12 QB to the program.

Somehow, 250 completed three yard curls later and the career lead in interceptions, we are still hearing about how there is only a sliver of difference between CH and TH. Maybe that is true. If it is, it means this staff has utterly failed to recruit and/or develop a legit B12 QB to the program.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

In the end, I do not trust the staff at all with the QBs. Why should I with what has transpired over the last few years? I think any and all scenarios are in play when it comes to 2010.

Wanted to change the sig for a basketball theme for March Madness. ESPN had a story about him over the weekend.

Last time I checked, Dan Hawkins was still our coach. And he is still and idiot. We shouldn't be expecting anything else from him, but to repeat his PAST stupidities. This year, unfortunately is our lame duck year. Sometimes, it sucks to be a BUFF. Hopefully, the kids playing can overcome the Birdman's mistakes.

Hilarious! Dan hawkins and his ego will NOT allow him to do things different. CU football be damned, he is going to do it his way and prove everyone wrong. This despite the fact his way has produced 16-33. He thinks it's okay to leave the team in the dark until a week before the csu game to name the starter. Unless cody grew 3inches and found a bionic arm, hansen should be the starter. He runs this program like a little league team. You know who the better players are, if a guy really shines then go ahead,make a change but this same nancy way he does the spring is yet another reason why most people have no confidence in him.

Keisau should be left alone to run the offense, Less of dan, more wins. He just repeats the same mornic, dumb ass, lines every year.

Your 16-33 dan, your way is counter-productive.

Yea I saw the ESPN story too and figured that BB's sig was no coincidence. Pretty amazing that even without him, they made a run to the final 8 that year.

I get the idea that no player should feel "safe" especially after a 3-9 season, but Cody was just as responsible for that 3-9 season as Tyler. It was painfully clear to pretty much anyone that Tyler gave us a much better chance to win, a few meaningless spring practices should not really change that. To me, Cody is kind of like Chad Pennington. Good to have on the team, team player, plays it safe, dumps it off for 80% completions of 3 yards or less. The problem with them is, they MUST be surrounded by immense talent to have a formidable offense. If we had the 2001 running game and OL, Cody would be a nice QB. We don't, our QB must make plays.

I get the idea that no player should feel "safe" especially after a 3-9 season, but Cody was just as responsible for that 3-9 season as Tyler. It was painfully clear to pretty much anyone that Tyler gave us a much better chance to win, a few meaningless spring practices should not really change that. To me, Cody is kind of like Chad Pennington. Good to have on the team, team player, plays it safe, dumps it off for 80% completions of 3 yards or less. The problem with them is, they MUST be surrounded by immense talent to have a formidable offense. If we had the 2001 running game and OL, Cody would be a nice QB. We don't, our QB must make plays.

I agree with the point you're trying to make. Except I wish that Cody was more like Chad Pennington. If you're going to be immobile and have a water pistol for an arm, you better be big enough to stand in the pocket and deliver on time. Chad's 6'3" and 230 lbs. If Cody had Chad's measurables, I'd be more open to him being a Big 12 quarterback.

Cody also just doesn't play that smart imo, he might make the right reads and stuff like that on a play, but once a 300 pounder is after him his decision making goes out the window. Pennington is the master of the 3 yard curl on 3rd and 6, which is annoying, but he simply doesn't lose his team the game.

i am not going to get too worked up about this until we see how it plays out... let's just see how it goes...

:nod: This is where I'm at.

Hawk would score some points by naming Hansen the starter after the spring game, but whatever. As long as he's the starter for CSU then fine. As for Hawk himself, win 8 games next season and bring in a good recruiting class. Anything lower and my interest in CU football gets lower than it already is now.

Is that Intramurals brutha?

heh, but he rocks that stuff when 1. he doesn't have to make a long throw and 2. the middle of the field is open to him. too bad neither are parts of Big XII football....when you are 5'8".

i bet he's great in practice. he's a good kid, great rep for our program....but Hanson should be the guy moving forward. last year, i gave Hawk and Co. the "pass" to start Cody if they thought they might win 6 and get to a bowl to save their jobs. turns out, i was on meth.

Back