What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk's biggest problem.

I don't believe anything he says, either. But I honestly think he doesn't realize the difference between building a winner and maintaining a winner. At Boise, his players already had the attitude that was borne out of several years of kicking their opponents asses. In Boulder, he inherited a team that was embarassed by Iowa State, Nebraska, Texas, and Clemson in consecutive games. Their psyches were as fragile as could be. Instead of saying 'Boys, we're going to kick ass and here's how we're going to do it', he said "don't worry about winning, worry about being a winner". WTF is that supposed to mean to a 19-year old kid? It's pure crap, and he's been trying to sell it for four years now. He needs to address his team's shortcomings, acknowledge them, and put together a plan that is easy for these kids to grasp, and implement it. He has no plan, though. He's all about "working on the little things", and "getting your horns out". There's a complete disconnect between what he needs to do and what he is doing. He'll be a failure at CU until he figures that out, and he's never going to figure it out.

Forget about what it means to a 19 year old kid for a moment -- what does it mean to anybody? As far as I am concerned, this, along with the rest of his "Hawkisms", is simply a bunch of garbage. Hollow rhetoric designed to disguise the fact that he has no idea what he is doing. Whatever kind of pseudo-philosophy bull**** he wants to read on his own time is his own business, but trying to build an athletic team around it is fatally flawed from the get-go. Success, in my opinion, is a product of setting tangible goals that are extremely ambitious but mostly reachable and going after them in a realistic, practical manner. Spouting off fortune-cookie-reject one liners is never going to win football games, and that is what is wrong with Dan Hawkins. He thinks he can replace x's and o's with faux-inspirational gibberish.

When Hawk was at Boise, he didn't have to worry about winning. He had to worry about keeping his players in the right frame of mind. When he came to CU, he thought that if he could get his players in the right frame of mind, they would automatically start to win. That's flawed. The winning comes first. Hawk will continue to fail here until he realizes that his first job is to win, not to get the attitude right. The attitude will come once they start winning.

Nah, Hawk's biggest problem is that he has no clue in how to build a program at the BCS level..

That's pretty much what I'm saying.

yeah, but I like my direct way better.. :smile2:

Plus, I think he also had a steep advantage in terms of program dollars at Boise compared to the rest of the conference with the exception of maybe Fresno State..

Hi Guys,

First time poster. I'm a 2003 Alum living in Austin and have to listen to Rod Babers and Ahmad Brooks clown on the buffs during their am sports show. -- I think they are just bitter because they were on the 2001 Longhorn team that we whooped up on in the Big XII championship game. I was on the 5yr plan at CU and during my stint I saw 1 season with Slick Rick and the rest with Barnett. I miss the fire and passion that those teams had. I remember seeing linemen pucking their guts out in Bach Fieldhouse during the offseason when we would work out in the mornings for ROTC and how everybody was rowdy and really into it. I wish we had 5 or 6 Tyler Braytons on the team right now! I'm not a Hawkins fan and hope we can get a new coach at the end of this season. With that said, who do you guys think we could get for the 900k-1.2mil price range that CU will probably offer that can turn around CU? I don't think our cheap admin is going to shell out much more dough than this unfortunately. Who is currently available/will be for that price range that could turn the program around? I agree with posters on this thread who think that some coaches are better at turning around a program than others. - Sorry if this post comes up twice, I tried it the first time and it didn't work.

Well if we had 5-6 Taylor Bartons, the little fink, we would have sank quicker than the Titanic. Taylor was an elite 11 fraud like Cody, he read his own reps and believed he was the next coming of Sal. He could not and did not compete. He jumped ship believing the crap Neuheisal gave him, so he went to SFCC, then disappeared at Washington. He made phone calls from the CU locker room from cell to recruits telling them to go to UW. That was part of the NCAA investigation. He was a pariah on the sidelines until Bledsoe put him straight. Give me a break--Taylor Barton--sheesh. Zac, tell me that it isn't you!!!!

My error. However, I wouldn't like to think how Hawk would react to a player like Brayton. Likely, he would be in Hawks dog house or something and Tyler would tell him what he thinks which Hawk couldn't handle. But, yes we would be better off with 5-6 players of his caliber and temperment (when controlled).

I wish there was someone like Tyler Brayton on the team. Remember the Chris Naeole - Rick Neuheisel incident? I would like to see a Brayton - Hawkins incident just like Naeole - Neuheisel. That would make my day. Yes, I know I'm the :devil:

I just think that Hawk doesn't understand how these things work. He honestly believes that if he gets the players attitudes in the right place, that they'll automatically start winning as the result. Unfortunately, he's putting the cart before the horse. His primary focus should be on winning games. It's obvious that winning games is not his primary focus.

Almost sounds like his approach to the fans as well. If we all would just get on board and help out and stop "expecting to win" somehow the winning will come. Just pay the tickets, donate the dollars, sponsor the juiceboxes, and everything will be OK.

Hawk's biggest problem is a lack of upside down M's.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

I wish there was someone like Tyler Brayton on the team. Remember the Chris Naeole - Rick Neuheisel incident? I would like to see a Brayton - Hawkins incident just like Naeole - Neuheisel. That would make my day. Yes, I know I'm the :devil:
:lol: I know of one player on the team with that temperament. You are the devil, but, I too, would like to see something like that go down...:smile2:

Nah, Hawk's biggest problem is that he has no clue

To make it even more direct.

Hilarious. I was just thinking about Naeole when people were talking about needing a guy like Brayton. I'm not sure Hawk would like it if Chris got his horns out.... :lol:

Back