What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

HCMM

I miss Fat Mike. He needs to start stuffing his face and add 60 lbs. Pronto!

Might this be the same staff who did this?:

On December 17, 2009, Mike MacIntyre was formally introduced as Tomey's replacement. MacIntyre was previously the defensive coordinator at Duke University.[SUP][6][/SUP]

San Jose State went 1-12 in 2010 and 5-7 in 2011 under MacIntyre. However in 2012, MacIntyre's third season as head coach, the 2012 San Jose State Spartans football team finished the season with a win over Bowling Green in the 2012 Military Bowl en route to an 11-2 season record and ranked 24th in the BCS rankings
-From Wikipedia

Not just that, but they nearly upset nationally ranked Stanford AT Stanford...with a team that was outclassed talent-wise at every position against a very good Pac-12 coaching staff.Heck, I would have been mad if he HADN'T brought his whole staff. I didn't want to take a chance that maybe the staff was where the magic was and not the head coach.Based on his track record, this guy is what we need. Will he be able to do something significant at CU? Remains to be seen. But let's remember what he's already done before we suggest that we could have someone better here right now. SJSU was more "burned to the ground" than we are. We needed (and need) a guy who knows what rebuilding that means. Another Chuck Fairbanks is what we don't need (A guy who could win with a dominant team, but not a less talented one).It IS funny how quick triggered we have become around here. The original Mac NEVER would have survived the axe that many of you here wield. You would have fired him after 3 seasons.

I look forward to the day when the program has been rebuilt to the point we are "almost" beating Pac 12 teams too.

Setting expectations based on the SJSU rebuild falls apart for me, unless MacIntyre turns Sefo into David Fales.

Setting expectations based on the SJSU rebuild falls apart for me, unless MacIntyre turns Sefo into David Fales.

...or until he brings in someone like that. Which is what we expect him to do as he brings in more talented people (especially at the LOS).

If you aren't setting expectations based on the coach's track record, what are you setting them based on? The point of using that example is that a guy who can take a team with MWC talent and almost beat a CHAMPIONSHIP Pac-12 team, on the road, is exactly the challenge we are facing. How is this not relevant?

...or until he brings in someone like that. Which is what we expect him to do as he brings in more talented people (especially at the LOS).

If you aren't setting expectations based on the coach's track record, what are you setting them based on? The point of using that example is that a guy who can take a team with MWC talent and almost beat a CHAMPIONSHIP Pac-12 team, on the road, is exactly the challenge we are facing. How is this not relevant?

Because you cannot use the same exact blueprint at CU that was used at SJSU.

I should add, that if he and his staff can recruit players to SJSU that are good enough to almost pull off an upset of a pac-12 powerhouse, shouldn't recruiting players at least that good to Boulder be at least as possible?

Because you cannot use the same exact blueprint at CU that was used at SJSU.

Well, I certainly agree that this is not a template/blueprint sort of thing. You always have to adapt to conditions. But are we suggesting that there's some other coach out there experienced with the various specific challenges that CU faces (and which we all know so well)? It's a unique situation...you pick people who seem to be able to do more with less and hope they can do so again. Because doing more with less is the challenge we face until we can equalize the talent differences with the rest of the conference.

Well, I certainly agree that this is not a template/blueprint sort of thing. You always have to adapt to conditions. But are we suggesting that there's some other coach out there experienced with the various specific challenges that CU faces (and which we all know so well)? It's a unique situation...you pick people who seem to be able to do more with less and hope they can do so again. Because doing more with less is the challenge we face until we can equalize the talent differences with the rest of the conference.

And I think therein lies the rub. I am not sure I buy that he is adapting to different conditions, not the least of which is that recruiting at the P5 level is a completely different ballgame. Hopefully it changes going forward.

I'm just at a loss as to what we (CU) should even do if MM doesn't work out. We have gone through too many coaches and the turn over is just as harmful as retention it seems. My main concern is recruiting, talent covers up a lot. It's a rare rare thing for a team to win on coaching alone and I am no longer certain how much I can blame MM for this or not, or what he could do to get recruits here. To get a kid to come to CU is a tough sell now for anyone unless you are a big name coach. One thing I wonder with MM is what his pitch looks like, he's straight forward and honest, so I'm wondering if he's sitting in front of the kids and their families saying, "This is a great place, but rebuilding. We are not going to playing for championships." It seems almost a fact that both Embree and the Hawk were throwing around the word Championship. That got us some 4 stars with high hope and a bit of naivety

And I think therein lies the rub. I am not sure I buy that he is adapting to different conditions, not the least of which is that recruiting at the P5 level is a completely different ballgame. Hopefully it changes going forward.

Were we assuming he would drop a top 20 recruiting class on us right away? I guess I am wondering if our expectation level is consistent with conditions. If we got Butch Davis, do people think he was going to already have a bunch of better players to show for it? We all know how this goes, don't we? Get a few diamonds in the rough, add a win or two, get a better player or two based on the better record, then translate THAT into a better record, then translate THAT into some better recruits, etc.

The challenge right now is to see how this coach responds to THIS year. What adjustments does he make? I love Jon Embree as a person, but I didn't see him as a particularly flexible person in terms of adapting to conditions. Hawk was just clueless (the fact that no one is considering either of those guys as a head coach again shows what was exposed during their tenures) but no one doubts that HCMM is a good coach. What we don't yet know is if he can be a good coach at CU. Heck, at this point, we don't yet know if ANYONE can be a good coach at CU right now.

Maybe we can interest Saban. A good retirement home in the Rockies could be the bait...:lol:

Here's where I'm at:

I think MacIntyre is a competent coach who will build a foundation of running things like a program should run things. He'll get the roster balanced. He'll bring S&C into the modern era. He'll put the academic support systems into place. He'll run well-organized practices at a pace in line with modern football. He'll provide good coaching and game plans representative of real football.

Can he get the dynamic players and innovative coordinators to win in the Pac-12? I have no idea.

But I do believe that after a couple years we'll have a solid organization with great internal support mechanisms and 1st class facilities. With that, CU can attract a large pool of damn good HC, Coordinator and Assistant candidates who will believe that CU has the things in place to make winning a very real possibility. That wasn't the case when MacIntyre was hired. A job at CU was seen as a "career killer" in the coaching profession so what we attracted is a guy who had just turned around things at a place that was an even bigger "career killer" job.

I'm going to support MacIntyre and hope for the best. He took a big risk on CU when he could have very easily returned to SJSU for one more year with his senior NFL-ready QB, had another bowl season, and landed what people would have seen as a much better job than CU. Let's not forget, we were in a position where even guys coaching at places like Utah State didn't want the CU job.

I'm just at a loss as to what we (CU) should even do if MM doesn't work out. We have gone through too many coaches and the turn over is just as harmful as retention it seems. My main concern is recruiting, talent covers up a lot. It's a rare rare thing for a team to win on coaching alone and I am no longer certain how much I can blame MM for this or not, or what he could do to get recruits here. To get a kid to come to CU is a tough sell now for anyone unless you are a big name coach. One thing I wonder with MM is what his pitch looks like, he's straight forward and honest, so I'm wondering if he's sitting in front of the kids and their families saying, "This is a great place, but rebuilding. We are not going to playing for championships." It seems almost a fact that both Embree and the Hawk were throwing around the word Championship. That got us some 4 stars with high hope and a bit of naivety

...and a lot of attrition (which helps explain some of the holes we see now at some positions...).

lol at the OP, the team talent level is not good, depth non-existent. that doesn't explain losing to CSU, ever, but this is one game. also, can't blame coach for going with the staff that got him there - last year they kind of got a pass, I think, but he obviously has to evaluate as time goes on. not thrilled with the recruiting so far - incremental improvement, but it's pretty tough getting the more talented kids to jump into the hole with you. point is, the jury's still out on Mike MacIntyre.

Enough with the strawman of Top 20 classes. Absolutely no one (and I actually mean no one) expects that level of recruiting right now. We are recruiting at the very bottom of our conference, the very bottom. It is okay to expect something closer to Top 45 than Top 75.

I think MikeMac just needs a couple different staff members to really see what he can do. Still ridiculous to me why Neinas was hired and endures. Makes no damn sense.

Enough with the strawman of Top 20 classes. Absolutely no one (and I actually mean no one) expects that level of recruiting right now. We are recruiting at the very bottom of our conference, the very bottom. It is okay to expect something closer to Top 45 than Top 75.

My Buff heart wants to agree with you. My CU-educated head wonders though. If you were a football playing kid looking at schools in the Pac-12, is there any school in our conference that a kid wouldn't choose over us right now? Cal is a toss up...But even WSU and Utah are probably easier sells than CU right now (and even thinking that crushes me...but it's honest).

If MacIntyre doesn't work out - they will have to go to the coordinator ranks for their next coach.

Resume's don't win games. Players do.

MacIntyre has Foles to thank, in part, for his success at SJSU.

While he brought a bunch of coaches (and Gilliam) with him from the Spartans, he sure didn't bring along an obvious NFL QB talent to lead the offense.

My expectations for last night was based on the 2013 game against CSU. It was amazing how in last year's game, the Buffs played crisp and dominated the Rams everywhere except special teams. CSU's team, going into the game, looked better last year. Grayson + Bibbs + experienced O-Line versus a bunch of noobs on the O-Line and some gimpy transfer.

Last night was disappointing because the 2013 team started out better than the 2014 edition. Crowley was flagged too much. This year's team did not have 4 quarters of football in them.

I miss Fat Mac from last year.
The SJSU story got MM the job. Now that he's on CU's payroll, it's just water under the bridge. My expectations for MM are based on what he does for the BnG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are the upgrades in talent people are seeing. We might be young, but they don't seem to have talent.

Where are the upgrades in talent people are seeing. We might be young, but they don't seem to have talent.

Too early to say with young linemen.

So we're going by the other guys. Our starting QB is a true sophomore, Fields is a true frosh, Gillam and Chido are sophs. Now, maybe you don't think they're talented. That's fine. It's a matter of opinion. But they and other young players are starting. It's a sophomore and freshman dominated team - not just in terms of raw numbers but also in terms of who is playing. Even if you don't personally see them as talented, you have to at least acknowledge that they're better than the players that they're replacing.

Biggest issue right now is the recruiting from Hawkins' last year and the Embree recruiting. Too many holes to start and then too much attrition.

The linemen I agree. Gillam is either hurt, but is probably not going to meet expectations based off of last year.

Prich masked a lot of our flaws.

My problem is these guys are going to be seniors one day and they'll have a losers mentality from all of the losing. We will need to have better and younger players in place. Some may have their head in the game, but apathy will be abound.

That apathy translates itself to working out and studying the play book to giving up plays early.

It's pretty simple: we can't even entertain the notion of firing another coach right now, so Mac will just have to reshape the staff, possibly significantly.

The linemen I agree. Gillam is either hurt, but is probably not going to meet expectations based off of last year.

Prich masked a lot of our flaws.

My problem is these guys are going to be seniors one day and they'll have a losers mentality from all of the losing. We will need to have better and younger players in place. Some may have their head in the game, but apathy will be abound.

That apathy translates itself to working out and studying the play book to giving up plays early.

Valid fear. And that's one of the big things that MacIntyre will be evaluated on. If he loses the locker room and this team doesn't claw its way to solid seasons in 2015 and 2016 when the current youth are vets then he will have failed his most important task. I mean, it's not like these guys were recruited with the message of "come to CU and win a January bowl your freshman year". They were recruited on: pieces are in place with a QB who will be starting the next 3 years, a captain of the defense who was a freshman all-american last year, and a facilities project that will be in place in 2015. They were recruited on the vision of what's being built, so if HCMM can't keep them here and engaged for that journey then he will have failed. Simple as that.

It's pretty simple: we can't even entertain the notion of firing another coach right now, so Mac will just have to reshape the staff, possibly significantly.

I don't think he will though. He seems to have loyalty to a fault.

Back