What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

HCMM

All we have to go on with MacIntyre at CU is him bringing most of his staff at SJSU and you think people might be crazy for wondering about loyalty with assistants? How dense are you?
It's a fair question, but I don't think it's been answered yet. He brought the guys that got him there. Fine. If they don't perform, let's see how he reacts. I don't think we have enough information after one year and one game, with mostly other coaches' guys.

On News 4 sports, Reggie said CU had 41 kids who saw their first college action last night. That cannot be true. Maybe suited up, but not "see action." How come it seems like we are one of the youngest teams in college football every ****ing year? I'm surprised we don't have a couple of players named Dorian Gray and Ponce De Leon.

At any rate, do you buy the "youth" excuse?

That we always seem to be so young was also brought up in one of the other 89 post-game threads. Yea it does always seem that way and I think a big part of the reason is being on our 3rd coach in the past 5 seasons they want to play their guys, which are obviously the underlassmen.

And Meyer also had very good success for more than just 1 season before coming to Florida

Sure.

Only point I'm making is that there are a lot of qualifications that people say is the key to being successful at a P5 program.

But...

There are former NFL coaches that succeed and former NFL head coaches that fail.

There are top coordinators from P5 programs that succeed and top coordinators from P5 programs that fail.

There are legacy hires that succeed and legacy hires that fail.

There are head coaches from lower levels (non-P5, FCS, HS) that succeed and head coaches from lower levels that fail.

There are even head coaches who had success as head coaches at another P5 school who end up failing at a new P5 school.

As with any organization hiring a person for a job: the better the job, the better the candidates, the better the odds of making a good hire.

I'm not buying that someone who hasn't coached P5 can't recruit P5 or any of the other stuff. A coach is either cut out for the particular job or he's not. Jury's still out on MacIntyre and it's way early to be making assumptions on certain things. There's a natural inclination to want a pat answer as to the "why", but I think it's a lot more like it is with quarterbacks. Some guys have "it" (whatever "it" is) and some guys don't. Tad has "it", so a resume that wouldn't get a coach hired at CU basketball today becomes irrelevant. McCartney had "it" and it didn't matter that his resume had zero college head coaching experience (which would have disqualified him from the last search). My biggest complaint with how Bohn approached the coaching hires is that he set criteria even though this isn't a science. It had to be a Buff. Then it had to be a guy who had success in a BCS conference. Just have an open hiring process, use good advisors, and go with your gut based on interviews. In the case of MacIntyre, I have zero confidence in Bohn's "gut", but MacIntyre didn't fit his proscribed criteria either. Either we got lucky like we did with Tad or we're ****ed again.

But what I like about the MacIntyre hire is what I liked about the Boyle hire. It's a guy who has built a program from nothing.

P.S. What does "milk toast" even mean?

Not sure but 233 should go back to sucking AZ's pole. It is obvious that is where he comes from and you know how well you were like there. That group is the only one that continued to try and claim Embree was not given a fair chance. Take this with the grain of salt it is worth. Blind loyalty like Embo had with that crew was amazing.

Hey Nik. Can you bring back the ****ty previews? Those were great and something that kept me coming to the site.

I can't take anyone who defends embree seriously. They are either trolling or have a football IQ of zero.

Hey Nik. Can you bring back the ****ty previews? Those were great and something that kept me coming to the site.

I thought about it. They only work when I'm having fun with football, though. It's not fun for me and hasn't been for a few years. In fact, the last time I can remember really having fun with CU football was the 5-7 Hawkins/Cabral year which I thought was going to set up for a fun year to follow with a high powered offense returning.

Understood. Maybe you could get with goose and do a b-ball version. Thanks for all your posts.

HCMM had that Hawkins-esque thousand mile stare last night in the presser, was not his finest moment

HCMM had that Hawkins-esque thousand mile stare last night in the presser, was not his finest moment

Yes compare that to Mclewain's presser last year where he took responsibility for the lost and said that the lost was on him. MM this year was obviously upset and when faced with the tough questions it just didn't come out right.

2016 with MacIntyre at CU - are you kidding me? Like many other CU fans, you still don't get it. Of course, you predicted this team would go 8-5 this season, correct?

WAC MAC and his staff cannot recruit. Period. He and his milk toast staff cannot motivate at this level either. This team is soft and unemotional. He needs to be gone very soon, and with a high quality AD in Rick George who did not hire him and a 2-10 record this year, I don't expect MacIntyre to last beyond the end the season. Funny how you make excuses for MacIntyre that you would never make for Embree and his staff. Wonder why?

I want to **** in your mouth so ****ing badly.

He was definitely shaken up.

Hopefully he got some sleep last night. There's a lot of work to do this week.

Here's where I'm at:

I think MacIntyre is a competent coach who will build a foundation of running things like a program should run things. He'll get the roster balanced. He'll bring S&C into the modern era. He'll put the academic support systems into place. He'll run well-organized practices at a pace in line with modern football. He'll provide good coaching and game plans representative of real football.

Can he get the dynamic players and innovative coordinators to win in the Pac-12? I have no idea.

But I do believe that after a couple years we'll have a solid organization with great internal support mechanisms and 1st class facilities. With that, CU can attract a large pool of damn good HC, Coordinator and Assistant candidates who will believe that CU has the things in place to make winning a very real possibility. That wasn't the case when MacIntyre was hired. A job at CU was seen as a "career killer" in the coaching profession so what we attracted is a guy who had just turned around things at a place that was an even bigger "career killer" job.

I'm going to support MacIntyre and hope for the best. He took a big risk on CU when he could have very easily returned to SJSU for one more year with his senior NFL-ready QB, had another bowl season, and landed what people would have seen as a much better job than CU. Let's not forget, we were in a position where even guys coaching at places like Utah State didn't want the CU job.

agree! mm seems like a hard worker who is organized and will/can build a program...after taking 36 hours to cool down...im staying the course with our coach!..another coaching change in the next year or so would be a disaster...

2016 with MacIntyre at CU - are you kidding me? Like many other CU fans, you still don't get it. Of course, you predicted this team would go 8-5 this season, correct?

WAC MAC and his staff cannot recruit. Period. He and his milk toast staff cannot motivate at this level either. This team is soft and unemotional. He needs to be gone very soon, and with a high quality AD in Rick George who did not hire him and a 2-10 record this year, I don't expect MacIntyre to last beyond the end the season. Funny how you make excuses for MacIntyre that you would never make for Embree and his staff. Wonder why?
Buffs233 - so nice of you to come by after the loss. Why is not surprising that, except for 3 posts on 4/21, your last visit to the board before the CSU loss was the night that Arizona beat the Buffs in Basketball?

Too early to say with young linemen.

So we're going by the other guys. Our starting QB is a true sophomore, Fields is a true frosh, Gillam and Chido are sophs. Now, maybe you don't think they're talented. That's fine. It's a matter of opinion. But they and other young players are starting. It's a sophomore and freshman dominated team - not just in terms of raw numbers but also in terms of who is playing. Even if you don't personally see them as talented, you have to at least acknowledge that they're better than the players that they're replacing.

Biggest issue right now is the recruiting from Hawkins' last year and the Embree recruiting. Too many holes to start and then too much attrition.

And young guys are apt to make mistakes on the field. When you practice only against yourselves its harder to find the holes and see the problems. Hence the saying you learn more from losing rather than winning. Now we have some live fire game film to coach from.

Also, a lack of upperclassman leaders may in part explain the sense of quit in the 2nd half.

I'm just at a loss as to what we (CU) should even do if MM doesn't work out. We have gone through too many coaches and the turn over is just as harmful as retention it seems. My main concern is recruiting, talent covers up a lot. It's a rare rare thing for a team to win on coaching alone and I am no longer certain how much I can blame MM for this or not, or what he could do to get recruits here. To get a kid to come to CU is a tough sell now for anyone unless you are a big name coach. One thing I wonder with MM is what his pitch looks like, he's straight forward and honest, so I'm wondering if he's sitting in front of the kids and their families saying, "This is a great place, but rebuilding. We are not going to playing for championships." It seems almost a fact that both Embree and the Hawk were throwing around the word Championship. That got us some 4 stars with high hope and a bit of naivety

I think Mike needs to fix the foundation. We need to be deeper than 2 guys only at a given position because of injuries. I think he's doing that.

To address the bolded part above I think he needs to find a big signature win. I think that cracks the door open for home to allow some athletes to start to look at MacIntyre and CU. The kids with multiple stars want to play on Sundays. Somewhere in the past a survey was done on those kids and a majority answered that they chose their coach/school based solely on who they thought gave them the best chance to play in the NFL. Right now coming to CU makes that risky.

I think MikeMac just needs a couple different staff members to really see what he can do. Still ridiculous to me why Neinas was hired and endures. Makes no damn sense.

Gary Barnett recognized this. He had guys like Bieniemy and that WR coach Oklahoma stole from us. MacIntyre may have to make that move with some of his guys to get people more dynamic on board.

OK, I'm in the fifth stage of grief, The Upward Turn. Shock and Denial occurred in the fourth quarter. I think I may have skipped Pain and Guilt because I jumped right into Anger and Bargaining. I kind of went back and forth yesterday between Anger and Bargaining and Depression, Reflection/loneliness. So, here I am, in The Upward Turn. By next Saturday, I will have done Reconstruction and Working Through and reached the final stage, Acceptance and Hope. And after our next loss, I will start all over again. :lol:

Buffs233 - so nice of you to come by after the loss. Why is not surprising that, except for 3 posts on 4/21, your last visit to the board before the CSU loss was the night that Arizona beat the Buffs in Basketball?

There are a couple of guys here that fall into this category. They think they are astute and enlightened. What they really are is completely transparent and not focused on being true fans. They always have the same obvious agenda, target a board leader and try to destroy his credibility to inflate their own tortured egos.

OK, I'm in the fifth stage of grief, The Upward Turn. Shock and Denial occurred in the fourth quarter. I think I may have skipped Pain and Guilt because I jumped right into Anger and Bargaining. I kind of went back and forth yesterday between Anger and Bargaining and Depression, Reflection/loneliness. So, here I am, in The Upward Turn. By next Saturday, I will have done Reconstruction and Working Through and reached the final stage, Acceptance and Hope. And after our next loss, I will start all over again. :lol:

It's always fun to watch how quickly you cycle through the process. The intensity of how you hit each of these stages seems to allow you to compress each one into about 4 hours. Don't ever change, man. :smile2:

It's always fun to watch how quickly you cycle through the process. The intensity of how you hit each of these stages seems to allow you to compress each one into about 4 hours. Don't ever change, man. :smile2:
No ****. It isn't like real tragedy. It's ****ing football. (I think I just bargained).

I must be at anger, because I simply will not accept this as CU's long term reality. I guess I am going to be in a dark place for a while.

No ****. It isn't like real tragedy. It's ****ing football. (I think I just bargained).

Nice. You know you're a CU fan when you can get through all 7 stages by the end of the 3rd quarter.

I must be at anger, because I simply will not accept this as CU's long term reality. I guess I am going to be in a dark place for a while.

You being angry isn't going to change the circumstances around the program for the better. Negativity breeds negativity, and we all have to make a choice to look at the brighter side to stay sane. Not koolaid, but reasonable analysis versus vitriol. You can find a dark place if you look for it. Every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You being angry isn't going to change the circumstances around the program for the better. Negativity breeds negativity, and we all have to make a choice to look at the brighter side to stay sane. Not koolaid, but reasonable analysis versus vitriol. You can find a dark place if you look for it. Every time.

Sometimes our administration needs a kick in the ass. I don't think this is that time. They're spending and building right now. And it's not like any coach or player is going to be ok with losing, so I have no doubt that they're all pissed off and eager to get back to work. So I think you're right. It's not like 2009 when Hawkins needed to be fired, institutional things needed to get fixed, and all we saw was avoidance.

I used the same logic under Hawkins. It did not go well on this board. :lol:

Back