What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Head Coach Operations Manual

lvbuff

One of my Masters students is an offensive GA working on his MBA. The final project for his degree is a professional paper. His goal is to become a college head coach. He is working on creating an operations manual to flesh out his philosophy on things such as recruiting ethics, APR management, disciplinary policies for athletes, disciplinary policies for coaches and staff, program standards, fall practice routines, spring practice routines, game day routines, coordinator expectations, position coach expectations, GA expectations, Alumnae relations, Org. chart etc.

I rely on his expertise as to what is expected in a document of this type. My question to the allbuffs community is what other sections ought to be included in a document such as this.

Maybe equipment manager,student manager expectations on gameday/practices.Who is authorized to deal with game officials,throw challenge flag,arguing calls etc.How injuries are dealt with,medical staff/athletes.Road game travel,dress code/conduct policy for athletes,coaches support staff etc.AD communications,scheduling,appearances etc.

top level mission/vision statement - should address football and how that department fits in with the univerisity athletic department's mission and the university's mission
negotiation of contracts for assistants and staff
athlete nutrition
strength and conditioning

Here's your manual: Win.

All joking aside, I think any coach probably understands that you can do all the stuff you're talking about - recruiting ethics, public relations, alumni relations, graduating players, etc. but if you don't win, you won't be employed long.

I think it should also include helpful picture illustrations similar to what you find in an emergency brochure on an airplane.

Crisis management. I had 2 major ones when I was a head coach, one was a post game shooting where my players were shot at in their vehicle (no injuries) and the other involved a girl making allegations that proved less than truthful because she was trying to cover her activities.

Seems like a good list - if it was my project there would be a section in there somewhere on the player leadership program - Captains roles and what upperclassmen are expected to teach/pass on to underclassmen. As those of us who have watched this program for 10+ years know - it is critical for players to develop and pass along a culture of winning, giving the student leaders the tools to do so may be an area that is overlooked.

Crisis management. I had 2 major ones when I was a head coach, one was a post game shooting where my players were shot at in their vehicle (no injuries) and the other involved a girl making allegations that proved less than truthful because she was trying to cover her activities.

This is a critical but often unstated part of coaching at any level. How do you deal with the things that aren't planned for.

May be a good idea to have an appendix of go to resources for a wide variety of different types of potential events. Who do you go to in the event of a tragic event hitting your team. Who do you talk to in the case of an abnormal medical event (player gets cancer,) who do you go to if a player or someone associated with the team gets in trouble with the law, who is your go to person in case of ????

This is a critical but often unstated part of coaching at any level. How do you deal with the things that aren't planned for.

May be a good idea to have an appendix of go to resources for a wide variety of different types of potential events. Who do you go to in the event of a tragic event hitting your team. Who do you talk to in the case of an abnormal medical event (player gets cancer,) who do you go to if a player or someone associated with the team gets in trouble with the law, who is your go to person in case of ????

Better call Saul!

Back