What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Here Goes Vic Again - Coach Iminent?

So you think NFL teams just give promotions to below to average coaches just so they don't leave for other jobs?
By his logic yes. And also by his logic, you have to have expierence...well then how the hell does any coach get a job, at any position?

Oh and why do you have a random kid in your sig BCS?

RANDOM KID....RANDOM KID?!?!?!?!?!?
are you insane?!?!?!
That "random kid" IS CLARK MOTHER ****ING EVANS!!! HOW DARE YOU SULLY HIS NAME!!!!!!

if clark evans bleeds in the amazon the piranhas eat each other
Clark Evans' highlight tape was blank; just his name on the sleeve was enough.
Clark Evans CAN divide by zero.

So you think NFL teams just give promotions to below to average coaches just so they don't leave for other jobs?

i didnt say he was below to average coaches... i dont think he is ready to be a head coach at a BCS university

RANDOM KID....RANDOM KID?!?!?!?!?!?
are you insane?!?!?!
That "random kid" IS CLARK MOTHER ****ING EVANS!!! HOW DARE YOU SULLY HIS NAME!!!!!!

if clark evans bleeds in the amazon the piranhas eat each other
Clark Evans' highlight tape was blank; just his name on the sleeve was enough.
Clark Evans CAN divide by zero.
Never heard of him...so I still say he's a random kid in your signature.

Dorell had his shot as a HC and it didn't work out despite having talent and support. Will he be different a second time around? possibly but I don't want to take that chance.

Calhoun has proven he can coach at the academy and if he is the decision I will support him but he doesn't get me excited. The AFA is a completely different situation than CU. Different level of competition, different kind of support and challenges from the school and the community, different kind of players, etc. I don't see the communty and more importantly potential recuits getting excited about Calhoun.

EB has never been a HC but we know a couple of things about him. One is that he can recruit, when he was in his prior stints as a college assistant he was an excellent recruiter, being a veteran NFL player and position coach will give him credibility with HS kids that others might not even get to talk to. We also know that he knows fundamental football. NFL assistants don't recruit, don't evaluate players, don't do any of the other stuff, they coach full time. If EB doesn't get the CU job he is highly respected enough that he will have his choice of NFL assistant jobs next year.

Will EB be a great HC, nobody knows. Some would like to pretend that they weren't part of this but when Hawk was hired nary a bad word was heard about him. He was an established HC with a great record and a reputation for having fun teams on the field. How did all that HC experience work out for him? I'm willing to take my chances and support EB especially since his credibility will also lead to some pretty good assistant coaches joining him.

Dorell had his shot as a HC and it didn't work out despite having talent and support. Will he be different a second time around? possibly but I don't want to take that chance.

Calhoun has proven he can coach at the academy and if he is the decision I will support him but he doesn't get me excited. The AFA is a completely different situation than CU. Different level of competition, different kind of support and challenges from the school and the community, different kind of players, etc. I don't see the communty and more importantly potential recuits getting excited about Calhoun.

EB has never been a HC but we know a couple of things about him. One is that he can recruit, when he was in his prior stints as a college assistant he was an excellent recruiter, being a veteran NFL player and position coach will give him credibility with HS kids that others might not even get to talk to. We also know that he knows fundamental football. NFL assistants don't recruit, don't evaluate players, don't do any of the other stuff, they coach full time. If EB doesn't get the CU job he is highly respected enough that he will have his choice of NFL assistant jobs next year.

Will EB be a great HC, nobody knows. Some would like to pretend that they weren't part of this but when Hawk was hired nary a bad word was heard about him. He was an established HC with a great record and a reputation for having fun teams on the field. How did all that HC experience work out for him? I'm willing to take my chances and support EB especially since his credibility will also lead to some pretty good assistant coaches joining him.

:congrats::cheers:

Last edited:
Personally, I don't want EB to be our next coach, but i have no problem with the fact that he's been a position coach his whole career. Tony Sparano, Raheem Morris, and John Harbaugh were in the same boat and they landed NFL head coaching jobs and have had success. Those are just the guys i can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are plenty more who have gone from position coach to head coach. If those guys can get NFL head jobs I don't see why EB is not qualified for a college job. At the end of the day you want the best coach, not the coach with the best résumé.

Before coaching at Bowling Green, Urban Meyer never had any HC/OC/DC experience. Experience never hurts, but I don't get why people are freaking out over it. There's plenty of successful coaches who were never coordinators.

usually I disagree with BCS or find him just annoying...

...but he is completely right in this thread in my opinion.

lastly - Hawk did recruit well when he had "potential" working for him.

There are a lot of assholes in this thread. :lol:

Jimmy, predictably, goes for the emotional choice. Your either going to be 90% right or 90% wrong with EB.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, worst case scenario with EB is several top 20 recruiting classes and a couple of low tier bowl games, leaving the cupboard full for the next guy. Not all that bad a "worst case scenario" IMO.

Yes and no. Mack Brown, for instance, wins despite himself. The school sells itself, Brown pretends to coach, and UT usually wins because of all of the 5-star talent.

can eb put together a staff... all rumored staffs suck and recruiting is nothing if you cant coach up the talent im sorry... but it isnt

I'm a big EB guy. But even I think your disaster scenario is a bit rosy. It's very possible to only win 4-5 games with Top 20 classes. See Illinois and North Carolina.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, worst case scenario with EB is several top 20 recruiting classes and a couple of low tier bowl games, leaving the cupboard full for the next guy. Not all that bad a "worst case scenario" IMO.

Huh? Didn't he only have one really good class? I don't think Hawk was a good recruiter at all. If everyone's prognostications are correct, EB will be a Top 5-10 recruiter, which is a significant upgrade from Hawkins' Top 50 range. At some point, the scale tips in your favor, and you have so much talent that you can't help but win more often than lose (see Georgia, Texas, FSU).

well hawk recruited gangbusters...

I agree with this. His skills are more intangible (passion, leadership, recruiting) versus tangible (schemes, playcalling). It is more important for a HC to have the former and a coordinator to have the latter. The great ones have both.

EB's skills are more suited to be HC. Not up in a booth as an OC. The key here is experience with the coordinators. What has Dorrell been up to since he left UCLA?

Ahh yes, the old circular logic test. Schools districts prefer not to hire rookie teachers, so how do teachers ever get started?

By his logic yes. And also by his logic, you have to have expierence...well then how the hell does any coach get a job, at any position?

jesus ****, urbana. learn to use the ****ing multi-quote function. Goddamn ****ing post whore.

Yes and no. Mack Brown, for instance, wins despite himself. The school sells itself, Brown pretends to coach, and UT usually wins because of all of the 5-star talent.

They didn't this year. The coaches pissed all that 5-star talenet away.

Back