What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

here is list of rivals top assistants in college football

tante

Club Member
Club Member
1. Gus Malzahn
CURRENT JOB: Auburn offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: In 2005, Malzahn was coaching Springdale (Ark.) High. Five years later, he's the hottest assistant coach in America. Every offense he touches, Malzahn revs up. And he has helped develop a scheme that has made Cameron Newton the best player in the nation.

2. Kirby Smart
CURRENT JOB: Alabama defensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: The son of a coach, the former Georgia safety is one of the nation's hottest stars. And working for defensive mastermind Nick Saban has only accentuated Smart's status.

3. Dana Holgorsen
CURRENT JOB: Oklahoma State offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: Holgorsen was hired away from Houston and has amped up the Cowboys attack. The Cowboys are ultra-productive despite having a rebuilt offense this season.

4. Will Muschamp
CURRENT JOB: Texas defensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: The Longhorns thought so much of him that they made him the coach-in-waiting and pay him $900,000 per season. That makes Muschamp the nation's highest-paid assistant not named Monte Kiffin. Nick Saban has groomed Muschamp, and it shows. Muschamp's defenses play smart, and his players feed off his chest-bumping energy.

5. Jim McElwain
CURRENT JOB: Alabama offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: The personable McElwain has done a good job updating the Tide offense with some sophisticated formations and passing schemes since he was hired from Fresno State. He's a bright mind and hard worker who is ready for the next step.

6. Kevin Wilson
CURRENT JOB: Oklahoma offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: He has pushed the buttons on some of the nation's best attacks. Remember the 2008 Sooners offense? The 2000 Northwestern attack? Few scheme as well as Wilson, who has come close to landing a few head-coaching jobs.

7. Mark Stoops
CURRENT JOB: Florida State defensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: In one season in Tallahassee, the youngest Stoops has further enhanced his reputation as a rising star by turning a soft unit into an aggressive and smart defense that thrives on making big plays.

8. Bud Foster
CURRENT JOB: Virginia Tech defensive coordinator.
THE BUZZ: He already should be a head coach, as Foster arguably is the nation's top defensive coordinator. He has had sniffs in the past, most notably at Kentucky and Clemson But for now, Foster remains by the side of Frank Beamer, where he has been dating to their days at Murray State.

9. Don Treadwell
CURRENT JOB: Michigan State offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: He has an innate ability to get the most out of his players. And Treadwell excelled while leading the Spartans when Mark Dantonio was recovering from a heart attack.

10. Shawn Watson
CURRENT JOB: Nebraska offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: He had a failed run as coach of Southern Illinois in the mid-1990s, but Watson has rehabbed his image and emerged as an innovative play-caller. Bo Pelini thought so much of Watson that he kept him when he replaced Bill Callahan.

11. Brent Venables
CURRENT JOB: Oklahoma defensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: A product of the Bill Snyder coaching tree, Venables has shown an knack of developing schemes around the strengths of his personnel. He's smart and intense.

12. Paul Chryst
CURRENT JOB: Wisconsin offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: The Badgers aren't just a plodding offense. And they have the calm and cool Chryst to thank. Bret Bielema almost lost Chryst to the Dallas Cowboys a few years ago. He also has interviewed for several head-coaching jobs in recent years.

13. Frank Cignetti
CURRENT JOB: Pitt offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: The son of a coach, Cignetti has built a diverse resume that has seen him work in the NFL, in the WAC, Pac-10, ACC and now Big East. He has breathed life into the Panthers' offense and made a solid quarterback out of Bill Stull last season. Now, he's on the verge of doing the same with Tino Sunseri.

14. James Franklin
CURRENT JOB: Maryland offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: The smart and dynamic Franklin already is the coach-in-waiting in College Park. He has accentuated his resume by helping revive an ailing Terrapins program this season.

15. Tom Bradley
CURRENT JOB: Penn State defensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: An assistant to Joe Paterno since 1979, Bradley is a sage defensive mind who often is mentioned as JoePa's successor.

16. Dave Doeren
CURRENT JOB: Wisconsin defensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: The guy oozes intensity. And he also can coach, annually making the Badgers one of the Big Ten's best defenses despite not having the same talent as schools such as Ohio State and Penn State.

17. Paul Petrino
CURRENT JOB: Illinois offensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: Now that he's out of brother Bobby's formidable shadow, Paul Petrino has blossomed in making the Fighting Illini offense as productive as it has been under Ron Zook. Petrino is ultra-intense and a whirling dervish on the practice field.

18. Carl Pelini
CURRENT JOB: Nebraska defensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: As with brother Bo, Carl Pelini knows defense. He's excellent at finding mismatches and exploiting them. And Pelini also is a top-notch motivator who knows how to connect with players.

19. Jay Norvell
CURRENT JOB: Oklahoma assistant offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach
THE BUZZ: He has interviewed for several jobs and figures to eventually get one. Norvell has run offenses at UCLA and Nebraska and coached with the Raiders and Colts. He's a hard worker who is ready for the next step.

20. Todd Grantham
CURRENT JOB: Georgia defensive coordinator
THE BUZZ: In one season, Grantham - who came from the NFL - has started Georgia back on the road to having one of the SEC's top defenses. He installed a new 3-4 scheme, and the players feed off Grantham's energy and passion.

here is the rest of the list: I know we only have 22 guys in our search so add Mac and EB and there you have our search list.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1153796

so I am looking for a good defensive mind, good recruiter and fairly young. Looking over the list my top 2 choices above are:

Kirby Smart and Dave Doeren

Muschamp will probably go to an SEC school, possibly Georgia, Foster is a great coach, but he is getting up there in years. Stoops is intriguing, but is a bit green.

We shouldn't go anywhere near anyone associated with Auburn right now.

I completely got Bud Foster and Jim Heacock (DC from Ohio State) confused. He would be a pretty good choice, I wonder why he hasn't been linked with any openings yet?

F*ck it. Holgorsen is making $365k. Muschamp makes $900k. Let's give Holgorsen $900k with a large budget for assistants. Save the rest for a rainy day. If he's good, give him a raise. If he's not, fire him with your rainy day money. Done and done. :lol:

His hair is awesome. A bit thin, but he rocks it. Never mind what I said yesterday about Malzahn. I want this guy. I'm dead serious. If he had a mustache...

825670.jpeg

497543982.jpg

44373_oklahoma_st_gundys_growth_football.jpg

Awesome video here:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5787109

Why isn't there more love for Kevin Wilson? Seems like all anyone ever mentions is Venables when talking about possible Oklahoma coordinators ready for the move up.

Why isn't there more love for Kevin Wilson? Seems like all anyone ever mentions is Venables when talking about possible Oklahoma coordinators ready for the move up.

And Wilson was born in this state.

I am puzzled by the lack of love towards Wilson as well...people are nuts if they believe he can't coach. He coached at Northwestern and they put up a lot of yardage despite having a losing season and that was why he was hired away from there to Norman.

I completely got Bud Foster and Jim Heacock (DC from Ohio State) confused. He would be a pretty good choice, I wonder why he hasn't been linked with any openings yet?

If you're talking about Foster, I've always wondered why his name doesn't come up more often. Although in addition to Kentucky and Clemson as mentioned above, his name also came up for the WV opening a few years ago. I've also heard people mention that he might be in line to take over for Beamer when he retires.

Back