What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Here's what I believe to be happening

Here is what I think is happening. RG has not made a decision, yet. He is probably thinking about it but is letting the season play out. IMO, honorable people do not go on a search while the position is still filled - there is no back door search going on. MacIntyre wins the next two games and he very well could still have the job next year.

I am sure that RG is considering the options and the pluses and minuses of each. Once a decision has been made they will not wait around to announce it.
I'm glad you're not the AD.

Here is what I think is happening. RG has not made a decision, yet. He is probably thinking about it but is letting the season play out. IMO, honorable people do not go on a search while the position is still filled - there is no back door search going on. MacIntyre wins the next two games and he very well could still have the job next year.

I am sure that RG is considering the options and the pluses and minuses of each. Once a decision has been made they will not wait around to announce it.
You are delusional

flaming hot take, this one

I’d be very surprised and disappointed if RG didn’t have a plan in place for hiring a new head football coach.

Im sure he has a list with a few names on it or an idea of who he'd like to talk to. After that it comes down to that persons interest in leaving their current gig (or using us for a raise) and coming here. Plus having a clean background, passing professor HR and admin questioning sessions, and finally the BOR & Boosters buy in and funding. None of any of that will see print in a newspaper or online and all would be hidden behind walls of silence until contract is in hand. So, expect to be disappointed as it appears were clueless.

Im sure he has a list with a few names on it or an idea of who he'd like to talk to. After that it comes down to that persons interest in leaving their current gig (or using us for a raise) and coming here. Plus having a clean background, passing professor HR and admin questioning sessions, and finally the BOR & Boosters buy in and funding. None of any of that will see print in a newspaper or online and all would be hidden behind walls of silence until contract is in hand. So, expect to be disappointed as it appears were clueless.
There's no doubt that RG has been contacted by the agents of a lot of coaches by this point.

Sorry to the above posters but this guy is right. But let's say he has made up his mind. The team is 5-5 with a chance to be 8-5 which would require wins against two good teams, Utah and bowl game. That is huge for recruiting. Announcing a coaching change now might cause the team to give up. He knows this. If there was an opportunity to fire him, it was after Oregon State.

MM is gone regardless of what happens the rest of the year. Finish 8-5? Still gone, IMO. I honestly think the decision was made with about five minutes remaining in the OSU game.

I really ****ing hope they get MM out of here soon, because I still have some goodwill for him and he job that he's done. But the more this drags out and I have to dwell on his shortcomings, the more I start to really dislike the guy.
I'm with you...especially with that damn picture in the post above yours. I want him gone yesterday and why I went out on the ledge earlier this a.m. in a different thread.

Sorry to the above posters but this guy is right. But let's say he has made up his mind. The team is 5-5 with a chance to be 8-5 which would require wins against two good teams, Utah and bowl game. That is huge for recruiting. Announcing a coaching change now might cause the team to give up. He knows this. If there was an opportunity to fire him, it was after Oregon State.

Of course it’s you with this god awful +1 take...

Of course it’s you with this god awful +1 take...
I want MM gone I've said it in other threads.
Unless you know les miles has the job idk another dude I'd be stoked about. I don't want another d1 coach period. The only thing that would give me hope is someone with a lot of experience. Some retired NFL guy who wants to take over for a few years then hand over the reins. Herm turned asu into a 4 loss team all by 7 points. That should've been our worst case scenario this year. RG knows people so hopefully he can hire a knockout.

He doesn't have that guy yet so business as usual. It does harm to announce anything now anyways imo. I hope he can find that guy

MM is gone regardless of what happens the rest of the year. Finish 8-5? Still gone, IMO. I honestly think the decision was made with about five minutes remaining in the OSU game.

I hope you're right but that's assuming adminstration will and rg can hire a boom

I want MM gone I've said it in other threads.
Unless you know les miles has the job idk another dude I'd be stoked about. I don't want another d1 coach period. The only thing that would give me hope is someone with a lot of experience. Some retired NFL guy who wants to take over for a few years then hand over the reins. Herm turned asu into a 4 loss team all by 7 points. That should've been our worst case scenario this year. RG knows people so hopefully he can hire a knockout.

He doesn't have that guy yet so business as usual. It does harm to announce anything now anyways imo. I hope he can find that guy

Out of respect for macintyre’s contributions to the program, RG hasn’t commented on the head coach. He likely won’t say or formally do anything until the regular season is over. The “he’s the coach for now” statement is telling enough. Macintyre is dead man walking. The oregon state loss was nuclear.

I hope that RG does an exhaustive national search to find the coach who can tick all of the boxes while we thank macintyre for his efforts.

There’s a fine line between “national search” and “taking too long”. If they can conduct a national search and get their guy hired by December 15, then go for it. If it’s going to take substantially longer than that, the value of the national search diminishes with each passing day.

There’s a fine line between “national search” and “taking too long”. If they can conduct a national search and get their guy hired by December 15, then go for it. If it’s going to take substantially longer than that, the value of the national search diminishes with each passing day.
Signing Day is December 19th, man. Quiet Period starts the 17th with the Dead Period starting the 18th. So all visits have to be finishing up on the 16th.

Our last game is November 24th.

Ideally, I want this settled by November 29th (5 days after the season ends) so that we could theoretically have visitors in the 31st and 1st and make use of 3 recruiting weekends.

But no later than December 5th -- time to set up 2 weekends of visitors (2 weeks before Signing Day).

Signing Day is December 19th, man. Quiet Period starts the 17th with the Dead Period starting the 18th. So all visits have to be finishing up on the 16th.

Ideally, I want this settled by November 29th (5 days after the season ends) so that we could theoretically have visitors in the 31st and 1st and make use of 3 recruiting weekends.

But no later than December 5th -- time to set up 2 weekends of visitors (2 weeks before Signing Day).
Me too, but that is a pretty optimistic timetable. It almost depends on RG making moves right now to secure his guy. If that is the case, it is almost certainly Miles.

It has to move quickly. Not hosting a single weekend of visitors before signing day would be a disaster.

I'm glad you're not the AD.
If I was AD MacIntyre would have been gone a long time ago - I have been pretty outspoken for a long time. Never have been a fan of his. Does not change the fact if RG has made the decision he should announce it and get on with it. I sincerely doubt he has made the decision - just because people don't like hearing my opinion does not mean I am wrong.

Don't destroy me on this - but I think RG should send out feelers to try to poach Whittingham from Utah. I think he's a good coach, and I think he's probably about realized he's hit his ceiling in SLC. He can try to bring Utah's Poly pipeline to Boulder, and he definitely builds tough teams.

Drawbacks being that he probably wouldn't come and seems like an insufferable douchebag.

It would make the "rivalry" real, though

Don't destroy me on this - but I think RG should send out feelers to try to poach Whittingham from Utah. I think he's a good coach, and I think he's probably about realized he's hit his ceiling in SLC. He can try to bring Utah's Poly pipeline to Boulder, and he definitely builds tough teams.

Drawbacks being that he probably wouldn't come and seems like an insufferable douchebag.

It would make the "rivalry" real, though
Excellent coach. Don't care if he's a douchebag (that only bothers me when a coach or player is with a team other than mine).

But he's making about $3.5M. I don't think he's leaving unless it's an elite job that can pretty much double that.

idk.. Whittingham definitely wins some big upsets here and there, but he also lost to an Embree CU..

Is his P12 record really any different or better than Tedford's? He also took over an Urban Meyer Utah and did nothing with it for 4 years.

I'd rather have a lot of other coaches

edit: he's 32-40 in P12 conference since they joined. big time no thank you from me

Ok. I didn’t know the specific dates. Point being, a true “National search” will very likely take much longer than we would like, and thus I hope we have somebody in mind and have already begun the due diligence.

Here's what I think is happening, and the only bit of "educated" speculation I'm using to write this is what we've heard from Brian and Adam since the OSU ****show-Any AD worth a **** has lists of replacements for basketball and football coaches should they need to find replacements. We all know that. As far as this situation, I think Brian is right-7 regular season wins probably keeps MM. Anything less than that and he goes. I would expect to hear about a move about a loss Saturday or a loss to Cal-whatever comes first. I do think MM will coach against Cal with a loss on Saturday-there's no Cabral type here who we all can trust to keep things moving forward for a week, and I don't have a problem with allowing him to finish the season.

I think MM hasn't been happy here for a while. He tried to move on to Ole Miss last year IMO (too much smoke for there not to be fire during the Utah game LY) and I think he probably would have left here for another P5 gig with an 8 win or better season. He's been better this year-I think we all remember how emotional he was after Nebraska-but I think the game Jay had that day helped to make that that much sweeter a memory for him. With this losing streak, I'm sure Sexton is working to try and get him in front of any potential Group of 5 opening that could be out there now.

As far as that list-I think Miles is obviously on it, but I think BuffUp's post from earlier in this thread is far-fetched. I'm sure Rick has gotten LM's opinion of this situation already, and I would think those two would discuss the gig should it come open. I also think Jeff Tedford has done too good a job at Fresno to not at least call, and I would think some of these younger offensive minded guys from the group of 5 are as well (Littrell, Matt Wells, Blake Anderson, etc.). I've heard both guys talk about younger, offensive minded coaches over the last month, and I would keep an eye on that.

Here is what I think is happening......

I think that offensive play calling has been the number one problem this year and there are two possible reasons for that:

1. Chev is young and inexperienced and is still figuring it out
2. HCMM has been stubbornly insisting on "establishing the running game" and has instructed Chev to call more running plays and go slower than a typical AirRaid type coach would typically call.

I have always felt like Chev was an RG guy and I strongly believe that Chev was promoted to OC play-calling duties at the behest of RG. If the former (#1) is true then HCMM will be back next year because RG is smart enough to know that it is his guy is responsible for about 60% of the bull**** we are seeing, which began at the USC game. Given the confidence that HCMM displayed during the last press conference and given the fact that Chev came out in support of HCMM I am starting to lean in this direction.

This would be a good thing because it keeps our recruiting class on board and leads to some continuity with a VERY good team coming back next year.

On the other hand if the reason our play calling sucks so bad is #2 than HCMM needs to be Adios Muchachos.

Back