What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Here's what I believe to be happening

Here is what I think is happening......

I think that offensive play calling has been the number one problem this year and there are two possible reasons for that:

1. Chev is young and inexperienced and is still figuring it out
2. HCMM has been stubbornly insisting on "establishing the running game" and has instructed Chev to call more running plays and go slower than a typical AirRaid type coach would typically call.

I have always felt like Chev was an RG guy and I strongly believe that Chev was promoted to OC play-calling duties at the behest of RG. If the former (#1) is true then HCMM will be back next year because RG is smart enough to know that it is his guy is responsible for about 60% of the bull**** we are seeing, which began at the USC game. Given the confidence that HCMM displayed during the last press conference and given the fact that Chev came out in support of HCMM I am starting to lean in this direction.

This would be a good thing because it keeps our recruiting class on board and leads to some continuity with a VERY good team coming back next year.

On the other hand if the reason our play calling sucks so bad is #2 than HCMM needs to be Adios Muchachos.

That recruiting class is not going to end up being anything other than average.

And a VERY good team coming back next year? Seems myopic.

I think that offensive play calling has been the number one problem this year and there are two possible reasons for that:

2. HCMM has been stubbornly insisting on "establishing the running game" and has instructed Chev to call more running plays and go slower than a typical AirRaid type coach would typically call.

I have always felt like Chev was an RG guy and I strongly believe that Chev was promoted to OC play-calling duties at the behest of RG. If the former (#1) is true then HCMM will be back next year because RG is smart enough to know that it is his guy is responsible for about 60% of the bull**** we are seeing, which began at the USC game. Given the confidence that HCMM displayed during the last press conference and given the fact that Chev came out in support of HCMM I am starting to lean in this direction.

This would be a good thing because it keeps our recruiting class on board and leads to some continuity with a VERY good team coming back next year.

On the other hand if the reason our play calling sucks so bad is #2 than HCMM needs to be Adios Muchachos.
I have a simpler answer for the problems with the offense: we can't consistently block anyone and, therefore, there is no trust in our ability to execute any single play or sustain a drive.

MM got drunk on the run game vs ASU. Worst thing that could have happened.

I have a simpler answer for the problems with the offense: we can't consistently block anyone and, therefore, there is no trust in our ability to execute any single play or sustain a drive.

This a thousand times. Chiv afraid to call certain plays knowing a 12 yd sack or negative play will be the result.

Shouldn't the OL be improving throughout the season? The musical chairs Adam's has played all season has bit them in the arse. Years of garbage recruiting at those positions is the nail in the coffin.

There are ways to call a game that don’t require your offensive line to do too much. I’m not seeing any of those plays

We will see what happens but if he is still here at the end of the season, it will be because Chev is RG’s boy and he knows that it is a problem that HCMM didn’t create

That recruiting class is not going to end up being anything other than average.

And a VERY good team coming back next year? Seems myopic.

We return virtually every position except nose tackle running back and safety. O line will be a year older. Arguably the best QB in the PAC-12. We are going to be really good next year.

And the recruiting class is the best one we have had for years.....it was #4 in the Pac-12 last time I checked.

Listen, I’m as pissed as anyone but I can tell you that there is a high likelihood that HCMM is back next year

There are ways to call a game that don’t require your offensive line to do too much. I’m not seeing any of those plays

We will see what happens but if he is still here at the end of the season, it will be because Chev is RG’s boy and he knows that it is a problem that HCMM didn’t create
You mean calling a bunch of quick hitters while running just enough to keep the LBs honest? Basically, exactly what Chev did successfully up until the USC game when Pendergast schemed against it and had the horses to embarrass Chev so badly he made a public apology?

You mean calling a bunch of quick hitters while running just enough to keep the LBs honest? Basically, exactly what Chev did successfully up until the USC game when Pendergast schemed against it and had the horses to embarrass Chev so badly he made a public apology?

Exactly. However there is no doubt in my mind that we got conservative at USC. Chev (or HCMM) overcoached the kids and we played slow the entire game. The game plan was bad and poorly coached.

We return virtually every position except nose tackle running back and safety. O line will be a year older. Arguably the best QB in the PAC-12. We are going to be really good next year.

And the recruiting class is the best one we have had for years.....it was #4 in the Pac-12 last time I checked.

Listen, I’m as pissed as anyone but I can tell you that there is a high likelihood that HCMM is back next year

OL is a major question mark. Lots of depth issues against a harder schedule.

The recruiting class is a soft 5th in the Pac-12 and 35th nationally. Nothing special at all and confirms what each and every CU fan should already know: MM is a mediocre recruiter at best.

And what is this based on? Go listen to Adam's podcast and tell me you think there is a high likelihood he returns.

I'm still convinced that Pendergast picked up on something on film and it's been passed on to every D since. CU's trap/counter blocking scheme always leaves guys unblocked as they shouldn't be able to react quick enough to be part of the play. USC was able to react so quick, they knew what was happening. It's been the same since, to the point we don't use that deception much.

OL is a major question mark. Lots of depth issues against a harder schedule.

The recruiting class is a soft 5th in the Pac-12 and 35th nationally. Nothing special at all and confirms what each and every CU fan should already know: MM is a mediocre recruiter at best.

I’m not defending HCMM. All I’m saying, and most of AB would agree, that play calling has been a major reason we are in this situation.

I also think that whoever the coach is next year is going to have a great team to work with

I'm still convinced that Pendergast picked up on something on film and it's been passed on to every D since. CU's trap/counter blocking scheme always leaves guys unblocked as they shouldn't be able to react quick enough to be part of the play. USC was able to react so quick, they knew what was happening. It's been the same since, to the point we don't use that deception much.
That's on Adams. No counter to that? Really?

I’m not defending HCMM. All I’m saying, and most of AB would agree, that play calling has been a major reason we are in this situation.

I also think that whoever the coach is next year is going to have a great team to work with

Coaching is not good, but we have major talent deficiencies and depth issues. They are still going to be there next season.

Yep OL, in particular, is a glaring weaknesses that doesn't look to be any better next year. The new staff will definitely need to find a way to get better there quickly.

I think the OLine with another year under its belt and a healthy Moretti will be pretty dang good next year. At least much improved.....but hey, ya can’t fall out of the basement.

I think the OLine with another year under its belt and a healthy Moretti will be pretty dang good next year. At least much improved.....but hey, ya can’t fall out of the basement.
Not with the same position coach and the same team culture. I believe that the talent can develop, but only if changes are made. I say that because there's been nothing I've seen in 6 years to show me that there's any value placed in an OL that can go forward and punch guys in the mouth.

magic 8 ball says to ask again later.

schultzie says i know nothing!

alferd e. neumann says what, me worry?

bobby mcferrin says don't worry, be happy.

led zeppelin says good times, bad times, you know i've had my share.
Boy (Rick) George says Karma, karma, karma, karma, karma chameleon; You come and go, you come and go

Not with the same position coach and the same team culture. I believe that the talent can develop, but only if changes are made. I say that because there's been nothing I've seen in 6 years to show me that there's any value placed in an OL that can go forward and punch guys in the mouth.

No doubt 100% agree

I can assure you that Adam has nothing to do with the decision
We all know that smartass. He’s trying to say that if someone with connections to the program is saying he finds it unlikely that he’s back, he probably isn’t just talking out of his ass. Jeric was questioning your statement that you find it a high probability that MM is back next year. That’s just wrong, most sports journalists are saying he’s probably gone

What plays are those, which a DC wouldn’t also be fully committed to focusing on?

My view of offense is that without blocking you are pretty much going backwards, and we have - I venture to guess - more consistant negative yardage plays this year than in a long, long time (or at least since Hawkins and Embree who seemed to specialize in that particular skill).

I agree. I heard mention somewhere in AB that Adams was utilizing some new OL techniques.

If so, FAIL.

I have a hard time believing our OL talent is SO BAD as to be unable to block some form of a coherent offensive scheme at all. Confusion reigns. That is not a talent issue, per se.

I agree. I heard mention somewhere in AB that Adams was utilizing some new OL techniques.

If so, FAIL.

I have a hard time believing our OL talent is SO BAD as to be unable to block some form of a coherent offensive scheme at all. Confusion reigns. That is not a talent issue, per se.
I think I was the first to post that. His mentor is the Broncos OL Coach. New technique. Both suck.

Back