What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hey Mike Bohn, its time to end the CSU series

rosstr

Your Resident “POS Poster”
Club Member
With the major bump in revenue (was 8mil or so, now 25mil/yr) from the Pac12 conference, Bohn needs to kill this game with fire. The only reason we played initially was to secure a decent payday when the AD was bleeding red. But now with a pathetic atmosphere in that hollow NFL stadium and CSU selling only 16,000 tix out of 31,000, its time to move on. I mean, they're playing tv ads over the bands and they couldn't even paint either University's logos in the endzones. College football is so much better than that.

From a macroscopic standpoint, the new world order in college football is upon us: the Big 12 is dead, the ACC and BigEast are on a collision course, the Pac will most likely expand to consolidate the Western US, and SEC to 14. Non-BCS schools will be so outstripped financially, it won't even be funny. CU will soon make 15x what CSU makes revenue-wise. And Bohn and CU need to recognize this opportunity to monopolize our TV market and cripple CSU financially by taking away the RMS 'big' payday that saves their athletic program. Sorry to say it.

Run Ralphie Run!

I'd love to kill it with fire but would be OK to have CU play as the home team in Folsom and let csu decide where they play when they host.

CU will be making more money than the entire MWC and perhaps the WAC combined. That is before the Pac-12 gets a bump on the new TV deal due to new members.

CU could be making close to $50 million while CSU could be lucky to be getting $5 million from their conference's media deal.

Was under the impression that the Pac12 guaranteed 20mil/year for CU and still an undetermined amount for the Pac12 network (est at 10mil). So perhaps 30 mil. Am I missing something?

I think I saw somewhere that the MWC pays out around 1.5 - 2 million per team from their media deal.

Was under the impression that the Pac12 guaranteed 20mil/year for CU and still an undetermined amount for the Pac12 network (est at 10mil). So perhaps 30 mil. Am I missing something?

It will start out at $17 million and top out at $27 million in the final year of the deal. The Pac-12 Network is 100% conference owned and that means CU owns 1/12% of that network so any money the network makes, 1/12 goes to CU and projections are $15 million per year within a few years and that is PER TEAM. That is only with 12 members. If we go to 16 with the OK and TX schools, $50 million isn't too far fetched.

to be fair, the names would have been painted in the endzone if this was the 1st game of the year . Playing at Hawaii screwed it up a bit this year.

to be fair, the names would have been painted in the endzone if this was the 1st game of the year . Playing at Hawaii screwed it up a bit this year.

The NFL logos and Broncos branding on the field of the Cinch Jeans Sports Authority Rocky Mountain Showdown produced by the Denver Athletic Commission pissed me off. Given the amount of sponsorship, clearly brand management has real commercial value, despite any logistical considerations.

This bush league half-assed field management cheapens the CU brand that the university just spent 750,000 to enhance. It also devalues the RMS itself.

I think Bohn should send a note to Bowlen requesting the Broncos must play a game in Folsom to help recover damage to the CU, Pac 12 and NCAA brand.

Larry Scott would not be impressed.

We've had this argument many times. I enjoy the series. Gets me pumped up for an easy win against in state rivals. I just hate it being played at Mile High.

We've had this argument many times. I enjoy the series. Gets me pumped up for an easy win against in state rivals. I just hate it being played at Mile High.

I'm for keeping the series, too. The Buffs should get an easy win most years and draw a bigger crowd than if they played North Dakota State or some other push over.

I was one for having the game in Denver when the stadium was selling out or close to selling out. Today's crowd was embarrassing. I think it's time to return it to the campus.

tell you what... ill take the home game at folsom and the road game at mile high... so i can go to like 6-8 games a year... im ok with that

As I've said before, no CSU game is 'on campus' anyway, so let them play their home games wherever. Our home games, however, need to be at home. In Folsom.I agree that there was a time that this series in Denver was fun. But it really has become an embarassment, not only to the schools that have to play in that sterilized, NFL-centric environment, but the whole state, who looks like they can't be bothered to go to this game.

If they want to keep it, fine, but when it is a CU home game it needs to be in Folsom. Personally, I would rather see us play AFA every other year instead of CSU every year.

I don't know what you're talking about. Attendance was amazing this year:

315019_10100396172329373_10211605_55006104_140876753_n.jpg

312076_10100396172419193_10211605_55006106_1347245399_n.jpg

299793_10100396172499033_10211605_55006109_2041331306_n.jpg

Couldn't agree more especially with the downright weak showing from the CSU side.....but fact of the matter will all depend upon what's in that 10 year contract they signed and whether there are any out clauses of some sort.

I'd hope there was a clause to the fact that if one team doesn't sell enough tickets ensuring the game does not make as much money as quotient XXX then said team would be in breach of contract and could walk. All comes down to what Bohn negotiated in that contract, otherwise could be locked into it and looking at a lawsuit if he just up and decided to kill the game.

This game also gets tons of attention from the Denver media. Check out the day after new-stories!! I guess I should be happy we got at least one on there!

297134_10100396179674653_10211605_55006162_1218967224_n.jpg

With the PAC 12 $$$, CU can significantly change its OOC scheduling. I've always liked CU's "play anyone, anywhere" OOC philosophy, but we all know that it had a lot to do with $$$-we needed to be on TV and we needed to sell tickets. Those pressures are lessened in the PAC 12. How will CU respond? Bohn was quoted as saying that he wouldn't have signed the CSU deal if he knew we were going to the PAC 12. I hope, after one or two more years, that the paltry attendance and regular ass-whippings lead to a contract change. I don't think CSU agrees to end the series early, but maybe they'll agree to campus games. Heck, it would be their one chance to sell out Hughes.

Once the contract is up, I really hope Bohn can mix it up in the OOC schedule and play more front range + teams like Wyoming, AFA and even New Mexico or UTEP. Except for AFA, those teams are likely easy wins for the Buffs and increase interest in the area and sell more tickets than bringing in patsies from further away.

This game also gets tons of attention from the Denver media. Check out the day after new-stories!! I guess I should be happy we got at least one on there!

297134_10100396179674653_10211605_55006162_1218967224_n.jpg

Woody wrote a good column about Embree, but didn't write anything about the game, other than the crowd was small and lifeless (duh) and Bohn commented after the game that he would not have signed a long term deal had he known CU was joining the PAC

I had a couple women behind me who talked about what a thrill it must be for the players do get to have a game where the Broncos play. I immediately started a rather loud conversation with my wife about how this isn't a college environment and the game sucks for the teams and fans. I also said that I get playing the Colorado high school championships here since it's a big deal for a high school kid to play here. But for CU players it doesn't mean anything since they already play their home games in Folsom which is generally considered one of the top on-campus stadium environments in the country and they'd rather be there. My wife, in her subtle way, made a face of disgust and really loudly said something like, "This sucks! Why do they play the game here? Are they ****ing stupid?". My small heart grew three sizes that day.

I had a couple women behind me who talked about what a thrill it must be for the players do get to have a game where the Broncos play. I immediately started a rather loud conversation with my wife about how this isn't a college environment and the game sucks for the teams and fans. I also said that I get playing the Colorado high school championships here since it's a big deal for a high school kid to play here. But for CU players it doesn't mean anything since they already play their home games in Folsom which is generally considered one of the top on-campus stadium environments in the country and they'd rather be there. My wife, in her subtle way, made a face of disgust and really loudly said something like, "This sucks! Why do they play the game here? Are they ****ing stupid?". My small heart grew three sizes that day.

Rep on the way for Mrs. Buffnik.

You definitely married up :thumbsup:

Our discussion at the Dallas watch party covered how it's not unusual for players from Duncanville or DeSoto to experience Jerryworld, the Cotton Bowl, the Alamo Bowl, and perhaps an out of state road trip to far away places like Florida during their prep careers.

Those Texas kids that CU goes after aren't going to be in awe of playing at Mile High as many might think.

Our discussion at the Dallas watch party covered how it's not unusual for players from Duncanville or DeSoto to experience Jerryworld, the Cotton Bowl, the Alamo Bowl, and perhaps an out of state road trip to far away places like Florida during their prep careers.

Those Texas kids that CU goes after aren't going to be in awe of playing at Mile High as many might think.

If that's the pitch, somebody better re-think the presentation. "AND you get to play in a half empty, sterile, pro stadium in Denver against a team we beat 75% of the time!!!"

I think I'm done going to the game in Denver. I may change my mind by the time the game rolls around next year, but being threatened with arrest for "tresspassing" by the DPD could be the final nail in the coffin for me.

I would keep this game just for the post game "Sucks to be a CSU ram" chant it the concourse echoing throughout the stadium. One of my favorite moments of every season. It was especially loud yesterday.

tell you what... ill take the home game at folsom and the road game at mile high... so i can go to like 6-8 games a year... im ok with that

I could see that.

I am all for 6 games at a minimum in Folsom every year and 1 at invesco giving me the chance to go to and tail gate at 7 games a year.

I would like to see us keep the CSU game but rotate where it is played every year. There was alot of rivalry renewed over the past 5 years or so when they played us close and beat us as well. I would also like to see us add Nebraska back onto our schedule every year. I think our 3rd game should be against a team in Texas like SMU, Houston, etc... That would give us a good schedule but also give us an opportunity for a couple OOC wins each year. I think we should keep the Texas game away from UT, A&M, Tech, and TCU for now. No need to go up there and compete yet.

Back