What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hindsight - Things almost worked with Hawkins

To add to this because I've gotten to the point where I don't care who I piss off:

Dan Hawkins was not given a chance to succeed at CU.

Boosters loyal to the McCartney era and the former players & coaches hated the fact that Gary Barnett was fired. They hated that someone came in and said that things had to be done differently. They hated that they didn't "feel welcome" in the program, which was code for "we weren't privileged and entitled any more."

During this time, we had Embree giving fire and brimstone speeches at Buffs For Life events where Hawkins wasn't welcome and Bohn, another non-Buff, was attempting to bridge the political landscape by being present. Bohn would get ridiculed and abused to his face by Embree.

So, on another topic, don't ever try to sell me that Bohn made the Embree hire. That was forced by the same people who fvcked the program in 2003 with their shenanigans, did all they could to make it hard for Hawkins to succeed or even ensure his failure, and then made sure that real Buffs took over again. All while a lot of the old time boosters closed their wallets for the Folsom plans until Bohn was gone. Which led us to Rick George being hired as AD, MacIntyre being treated like crap and looking for the door, and eventually the hiring of Karl Dorrell with the elevation of Darrin Chiaverini.

If there's one thing to fix, it's getting these Forever Buffs (including folks who have just been there forever) out of the athletic department. A new era is not going to happen until we see guys like Plati, George and Lance exit.
From the president on down to the water girls, I’d be more than happy if we never hired a former Buff again.

Dress burrito up in something sexy and have him proposition RG or KD at a gas station. Someone has to take one for the team
Dance Speedo GIF

Just imagine, if our AD at the time had the foresight to hire Peterson instead of Hawkins. Sure. Maybe no one saw that at the time, but I remember hearing the rumors about Boise's offense and their OC. I didn't know his name then, and seems that no one considered him for a HC job, yet. I think its interesting to think about what paths might have been taken, even if unlikely. Would a time traveling CU Buff fan be able to go back and keep us out of this descent into madness, and how could it have been done?
If I could travel back in time I’d pull the fire alarm on Lisa Simpson’s apartment before the party started.

Hawkins will always be as good as his coordinators make him look. On Defense, he chose poorly.

i could make a better case that MM was better. Did RG screw that pooch with the JMFL situation and bringing in Lance Carl? Was MM forced to promote Chev to co OC? This is perhaps why MM was looking? I know there was a lot of distrust with RG at the time.

To add to this because I've gotten to the point where I don't care who I piss off:

Dan Hawkins was not given a chance to succeed at CU.

Boosters loyal to the McCartney era and the former players & coaches hated the fact that Gary Barnett was fired. They hated that someone came in and said that things had to be done differently. They hated that they didn't "feel welcome" in the program, which was code for "we weren't privileged and entitled any more."

During this time, we had Embree giving fire and brimstone speeches at Buffs For Life events where Hawkins wasn't welcome and Bohn, another non-Buff, was attempting to bridge the political landscape by being present. Bohn would get ridiculed and abused to his face by Embree.

So, on another topic, don't ever try to sell me that Bohn made the Embree hire. That was forced by the same people who fvcked the program in 2003 with their shenanigans, did all they could to make it hard for Hawkins to succeed or even ensure his failure, and then made sure that real Buffs took over again. All while a lot of the old time boosters closed their wallets for the Folsom plans until Bohn was gone. Which led us to Rick George being hired as AD, MacIntyre being treated like crap and looking for the door, and eventually the hiring of Karl Dorrell with the elevation of Darrin Chiaverini.

If there's one thing to fix, it's getting these Forever Buffs (including folks who have just been there forever) out of the athletic department. A new era is not going to happen until we see guys like Plati, George and Lance exit.

I agree with your overall conclusion, but not sure that Hawkins could have succeeded under the best conditions. He was always a fraud - a motivational speaker posing as a football coach... Which, if surrounded with enough support, maybe could succeed. That's basically what RGIII was suggesting UF do with Tebow. But I think you also have to factor that into why he probably didn't receive overwhelming support - because he didn't deserve it.

Back