What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Holy Balls is this legit... or did woody finally have a stroke...

I'm kind of wondering why Woody wrote this. Was this kind of fed to him or did he catch wind of it and go with it on his own? I'm really sick of getting my hopes up over this program only to have them ripped away. I hope this is true and happens fast. But I fear it is just a few guys talking of which not much will come of it. A year from now, I fear, a thread will pop up something like "What ever happened to that $50 Million".

That is why I almost wish he hadn't written that article. It was way too early. It could even have, though I doubt it, the effect of cooling off some donations. "Hey, I don't need to make one this year, they are about to get $50 million!" I doubt that would happen though.

I suspect it would have the opposite effect on donations. Instead of getting lost in the AD, it would be consolidated with a larger sum, and come with increased representation.

So, if this does come to fruition, how do we use the money? Do we use it as a fund, invest it and live off the investment or do we spend a big chunk of it in one shot on some need. What would $50 million earn you? Lets say 8%. I suck at this financial stuff. That would be something like 3/4% per month on $50 million. That would be something like $375,000 for the first month and then up and away from there. You could use that to get a loan for, say, a $300,000,000 field house or something, couldn't you?

So, if this does come to fruition, how do we use the money? Do we use it as a fund, invest it and live off the investment or do we spend a big chunk of it in one shot on some need. What would $50 million earn you? Lets say 8%. I suck at this financial stuff. That would be something like 3/4% per month on $50 million. That would be something like $375,000 for the first month and then up and away from there. You could use that to get a loan for, say, a $300,000,000 field house or something, couldn't you?

WE? WE? Are you planning on investing a million dollars? You just sit back mister, and some guy who knows a **** ton about drilling for natural gas will tell you how these football dollars will be spent.

WE? WE? Are you planning on investing a million dollars? You just sit back mister, and some guy who knows a **** ton about drilling for natural gas will tell you how these football dollars will be spent.
OK, if you were one of the "Flashy Fifty," how would you advise CU to use your money. :lol:

OK, if you were one of the "Flashy Fifty," how would you advise CU to use your money. :lol:

Cocaine and hookers, but there's a reason I'm not a contributor. It seems I've wasted my money on other priorities.

You pick the low-hanging fruit first. Paying off the basketball/volleyball practice facility in full and building a permanent indoor practice facility for the football team. Then you expand the pool of money for all coaching hires, including assistants. That would be the starting point.

You pick the low-hanging fruit first. Paying off the basketball/volleyball practice facility in full and building a permanent indoor practice facility for the football team. Then you expand the pool of money for all coaching hires, including assistants. That would be the starting point.

Was it just me, or did Woody's article make it appear that the money was football specific? Don't make me go back and read it.

Was it just me, or did Woody's article make it appear that the money was football specific? Don't make me go back and read it.

It was not really clear one way or the other. It says at different points that the money would be going to the AD to improve facilities. Obviously, the football team is the face of the AD, so I am sure a lot of money would be used to help out that program, but I imagine these boosters would like to see the AD as a whole compete with the rest of the conference.

I am pretty sure almost all of the money needed for the basketball facility has been raised (scheduled for a Spring groundbreaking last I heard), so when I say pay that facility off in full, we probably are not talking about a very significant chunk of $50 million.

This may be, but I'm not sure, the first thread to begin with "Holy Balls....."

oh no.

my opinion on this matter (not holy balls, btw) is to paraphrase former Smiths frontman Morrissey: "money rarely makes anything worse".

George is the perfect guy to head this up...played golf with him in Houston and he bleeds Black and Gold

An Evans scholar? That was the sweetest gig if you could get it....caddy for a few years growing up, then qualify for a full ride scholly in a pseudo frat house. I did not know Solich was one of those guys.

I hope this works.

The opinions of Benson and CU-Boulder chancellor Phil DiStefano will be critical as the plan moves forward. DiStefano formerly was CU's faculty athletics representative (2000-05), and Benson is a pragmatic CU football fan. But they may be reluctant to sign off on a deal that could allow outside influences on the direction of the athletic department.

So why would DiStefano and Benson have to sign off on it? They have the right to donate their money to any part of the university they see fit, and the university shouldn't turn up their noses at it. I know, the question is answered in the very sentence I bolded, but that should be solely up to the athletic department. Just as the decision on whether or not to fire Hawkins should have been solely up to the athletic department. :huh:

The thing is that the $50MM can't buy unfettered access and influence in perpetuity. If they want to buy influence, I'm all for it, but the dollars have to keep coming in down the road. Like I said before, $50MM is a lot, but it's not everything we need to be where we want to be.

The thing is that the $50MM can't buy unfettered access and influence in perpetuity. If they want to buy influence, I'm all for it, but the dollars have to keep coming in down the road. Like I said before, $50MM is a lot, but it's not everything we need to be where we want to be.
Plus, if you have fifty guys/gals trying to wield influence, well, that would just be out of control. This group would almost have to have a spokesman and, maybe, a board of directors. Otherwise, they are just fifty individual donors with no more influence than some other big donor that comes along and is not part of Fabulous Fifty. Hey, I like that, the Fab 5-0.

The Big 12 is a sh!t sandwitch. The more bread you have, the less sh!t you gotta taste.

Set it up in the foundation and invest the vast majority to help with annual funding in the future. Also, that kind of jack will buy and awfully tight, high quality hookers ass from which the lines will be snorted!

Sounds like an excellent idea. We have one set up at Arkansas with the Razorback Foundation that is solely for athletics, and it makes it very easy to spend to get the coach you want. The only issue arises with politics. At Arkansas we have a few from the good ole boy network that were upset Nutt got fired and that they don't have full access to the program under Petrino like they did under Nutt, and they have the power to keep that money from the athletic department, which they have done recently. That's a worst case scenario though. I hope it works out for CU, if the system had already been in place I'm pretty sure Hawk doesn't come back this next season.

I really don't see the downside.

It's not the AD's money until they give it to them. When it comes with strings attached, they'll negotiate and our AD will decide whether to accept the money and the strings (or not). It's not like our AD is entitled to that money or the boosters are required to give away their money. It would give our AD a lot more resources and is probably a hell of a lot more efficient than having to listen to 50 major donors as disorganized individuals.

Back