What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Holy Balls is this legit... or did woody finally have a stroke...

Does CU have 50 donors who can pony up $1 mil each?

I'd be shocked if we don't. At 5,000 alums per year for the last 50 years, that's a pool of 250,000 college-educated people over a full adult age range. You just need the .9998 percentile to have enough money to donate $1 million. And that doesn't even include sidewalk fans who never went to CU, grad school alums, or people who attended but never graduated.

That said, knowing how investment funds usually work, it's more likely that if this happens it will be a $50 million fund with varying levels of donation above a certain minimum.

I'd be shocked if we don't. At 5,000 alums per year for the last 50 years, that's a pool of 250,000 college-educated people over a full adult age range. You just need the .9998 percentile to have enough money to donate $1 million. And that doesn't even include sidewalk fans who never went to CU, grad school alums, or people who attended but never graduated.

That said, knowing how investment funds usually work, it's more likely that if this happens it will be a $50 million fund with varying levels of donation above a certain minimum.
Sorry man, but a bunch of those mother ****ers are dead.

Come on man. We are talking about CU, not 'braska.

It's more about people taking any job rather than leave Boulder. I've read somewhere that Boulder's waiters are more educated than their peers in other cities.

I'm sorry - I should have been a bit more clear. I don't doubt that there are donors out there who have the financial means to donate $1mil to CU. But CU's athletic department is so cash poor, there is NO WAY that CU will find 50 donors who are each willing to donate $1 million to CU.

CU couldn't find donors to pony up $5 million to pay off Hawkins - and now somehow we're expecting these people to come up with $50 million?

Can't see it happening.

I'm sorry - I should have been a bit more clear. I don't doubt that there are donors out there who have the financial means to donate $1mil to CU. But CU's athletic department is so cash poor, there is NO WAY that CU will find 50 donors who are each willing to donate $1 million to CU.

CU couldn't find donors to pony up $5 million to pay off Hawkins - and now somehow we're expecting these people to come up with $50 million?

Can't see it happening.

Agreed. I suppose it's remotely possible that there are 50 boosters who have written $1M estates to be turned over to the CUAD as part of their wills. But those donors need to kick the bucket for the transaction to happen, and therefore won't exactly be of much use on a governing board.

I am excited about the prospects of this. However, I believe all the money in the world would fix not everything. There also needs to be buy in from the administration to be committed to winning and the academic window needs to be wider to get kids. There are kids out there that CU cannot even consider because they have no prayer of getting into school. CU needs to do a combination of three things:

1) Admit a handful of less academically qualified football prospects under the idea they do deserve special consideration because they have a special talent - playing football. This happens all over the country from the Ivy League on down. Coach Mac had this under the "CU Opportunity Program".
2) Once these kids are in school. There needs to be either classes or majors that allows them to stay in school and stay eligible.
and/or
3) The academic support staff, facilities and commitment needs to be bolstered to the point that kids can handle the academics at CU. This happens at many schools (Nebraska)

Can't see it happening.

That's apparently not the case. From what I've heard, they had plenty of money to buy out Hawkins, but didn't do so because Benson didn't want the headache of asking the legislature for additional funding after paying Hawkins $3MM to leave. The money was there, if you believe certain folks.

And yes, there are plenty of well heeled CU boosters. The difference between CU and a place like OU isn't the number of boosters or the wealth of the boosters, but the willingness of them to come forward with big money. At CU, nobody has ever asked for that kind of money before, so they've never felt obligated to give it. This big money game is new to a lot of the boosters here. I really believe that. We're not behind in the amount of money we have, but in the mindset that says it should be given.

Can't see it happening.

You know what's funny? Instead of doing all that math and typing all that crap, I almost posted - "can or will"? Damnit. :lol:

It seems I've wasted my money on other priorities.

Yeah, I only donate a small amount to the Colorado football program every year because I "wasted" my money on other priorities. We helped our 2 daughters through undergraduate school and they didn't owe any money when finished. Then we helped our 2nd daughter through law school so she didn't owe any money after that either. Then to keep things somewhat even we helped the older daughter a little financially to make up for helping the other one through law school. After all of that I don't have a lot of money left to work with, but the investment in the well being of my daughters is obviously far more important than anything else.

I'll also add that after sending hard copy letters and emails to Benson, DiStefano and Bohn expressing my extreme aggravation (that's the nice word for it) for retaining a 4 time loser, Benson and Bohn actually had the courtesy to reply with personal messages. I expected Mike Bohn would, but I was surprised to hear from Benson. Even though I am extremely aggravated at what is going on, I respect Benson for responding. I guess DiStefano thought replying was beneath him, even though like him, I am a life long academician. I will also add that Dave Plati is someone who always has the courtesy to reply to messages. My CU degree set me up to go onto graduate school and have an academic career, but the small football experience is what is behind my continued passion for the University of Colorado in general and football in particular. Eddie Crowder did everything he could for me and I'll never forget it. The University didn't put much money into me(walk-on), but the experience was priceless. Nevertheless, I will probably be withholding my small donation to the program until the University administration demonstrates they are serious about putting a quality program on the field. I suppose most of you know what the first step in that process would be. Until then I'll send some more money to my daughters.

Hopefully the article contains information that is reliable and the University administration doesn't mess up a gift like this if it can really become true.

Agreed. I suppose it's remotely possible that there are 50 boosters who have written $1M estates to be turned over to the CUAD as part of their wills. But those donors need to kick the bucket for the transaction to happen, and therefore won't exactly be of much use on a governing board.

Hmm. Do you have a list of names? Addresses?

JUST KIDDING...LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR....IT WAS JUST A JOKE!!!! I DON'T REALLY WANT NAMES AND ADDRESSES!!!

It's more about people taking any job rather than leave Boulder. I've read somewhere that Boulder's waiters are more educated than their peers in other cities.

The last time I dined in Boulder, my waiter was a UT grad...no joke. He gave me grief about CU playing UT a few weeks later, I conceded the fact the Buffs would be huge dogs and then told him to hurry up and refresh my drink...chop, chop...

The last time I dined in Boulder, my waiter was a UT grad...no joke. He gave me grief about CU playing UT a few weeks later, I conceded the fact the Buffs would be huge dogs and then told him to hurry up and refresh my drink...chop, chop...

The most over educated waiter I have ever had was in Vail. The guy was a Cal Tech PhD who wanted to ride for a couple years before starting work. I have also had a UCLA MBA bring me burgers before, but I figured that was kinda par for the course.

The most over educated waiter I have ever had was in Vail. The guy was a Cal Tech PhD who wanted to ride for a couple years before starting work. I have also had a UCLA MBA bring me burgers before, but I figured that was kinda par for the course.
I had a waitress once who was a graduate from Sal's School of Massage Therapy and Tattoo Arts.

Last edited:
I met a stripper once who was working her way through law school.

Every stripper I have ever met has been in some type of professional school. Dental school, medical school, law school...

Me, too. Amazing, isn't it? They also tell me how handsome and "big" I am and how much cooler I am than the other assholes who come into the club. :cool:

:lol:

Reactions: SCB
What are the odds of this "$50 million" thing even coming colse to fruition? I'd say, maybe, 5%.

Woelk had a column in the BDC this morning. I thought it was pretty good:

The Millionaire Buff Club?
As crazy as it sounds, it might just happen.

If some heretofore uninterested -- or uninspired -- Colorado Buffalo fans follow through with their plans, the CU athletic department may yet someday be in position to hop off the porch and resume running with the big dogs.

Over the weekend, the Denver Post reported that Denver energy magnate (and CU grad) George Solich is spearheading a group that aims to raise $50 million from 50 people.

If such a plan indeed comes to fruition -- and given Solich`s background, I wouldn`t want to bet against him -- it could be the beginning of a new era of CU athletics.

As it stands now, the Buffs are in no position to compete with the elite of the Big 12. It`s a simple economic fact. CU fans want to blame myriad other issues for the athletic department`s decline this decade, but more than anything, money is at the heart of the problem.

Read on...

I agree, it has the same chance of Hawkins taking us to the promise land.

I'd say it has a decent chance of coming to fruition. The idea that there are no wealthy boosters at CU is false. It's just that the ones we have are not as blindly committed to the program as the ones in places like Texas, Alabama, USC, Florida, Michigan, etc.

I've said this before and I mean it, we're way behind the curve in terms of a fanbase. Our boosters don't know what it means to be boosters of a big-time college football program. Our fans don't know what it means to be fans of a big time college football program. Some do, but on balance, we're still learning. This isn't the kind of thing that happens overnight. It takes years and years for the mindset to kick in. We're not there yet, but we're closer than we were before, in spite of the current occupant in the corner office in the Dal Ward Center.

I'd say it has a decent chance of coming to fruition. The idea that there are no wealthy boosters at CU is false. It's just that the ones we have are not as blindly committed to the program as the ones in places like Texas, Alabama, USC, Florida, Michigan, etc.

I've said this before and I mean it, we're way behind the curve in terms of a fanbase. Our boosters don't know what it means to be boosters of a big-time college football program. Our fans don't know what it means to be fans of a big time college football program. Some do, but on balance, we're still learning. This isn't the kind of thing that happens overnight. It takes years and years for the mindset to kick in. We're not there yet, but we're closer than we were before, in spite of the current occupant in the corner office in the Dal Ward Center.

I do agree with you, but I just don't think we have those type of fans who are die hard and into the college game as much as a lot of the programs do. Even in the 90's when we were a power house we still lacked the fan support at away and bowl games.

I do agree with you, but I just don't think we have those type of fans who are die hard and into the college game as much as a lot of the programs do. Even in the 90's when we were a power house we still lacked the fan support at away and bowl games.

What was doesn't determine what will be.

I think to that run in the 1990s. We had a good coach, support from the administration, and some facilities improvements.

But we missed a golden opportunity because we didn't have Athletic Directors who understood the first thing about marketing. If someone like Bohn had been AD back then, CU would have more sports, better facilities, more booster support, and a better fan base today. And I sincerely believe that CU is still fixable and we will get there.

I actually believe that things are on the right track and CU athletics are about to get very good across the board.

What was doesn't determine what will be.

I think to that run in the 1990s. We had a good coach, support from the administration, and some facilities improvements.

But we missed a golden opportunity because we didn't have Athletic Directors who understood the first thing about marketing. If someone like Bohn had been AD back then, CU would have more sports, better facilities, more booster support, and a better fan base today. And I sincerely believe that CU is still fixable and we will get there.

I actually believe that things are on the right track and CU athletics are about to get very good across the board.
I see that happening IFFFF:

We get that 50 mil
Hawk wins 8+ games this year.
Bzzz starts winning road games and lifts CU to middle of the pack in the B12 next year.

Long odds. Hope you are right.

Back