What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hope you chuckleheads are happy...

easy to say sitting in the stands or on your couch. You just dont know man. you just dont.

Of course it's easier said than done, but what we DO know is that CSU is a ****** team in a ****** conference and Sac State is DII. No excuses to losing to that level of caliber. Ever. Am I wrong?

BTW, I am with Nik on this one, be totally shocked they don't honour his grey shirt. And that is not just because it is customary to do so w/ a coaching change, but we need him. He is one of the guys we are counting on for 2013 and I would be shocked that an incoming coach wouldn't feel the same way. He is a keeper and we wish he would have been playing this year.

While I hear you guys being in the recruiting business I've seen some awful things. I've seen coaches derail offers, I've watched kids be committed to a program for a year and had their offers pulled in April because a coach decided to go a different way. Again this is a business that has very little loyalty. Kids are products. Someone yelling to GT catch the tucking ball is a fresh reminder of that...

While I hear you guys being in the recruiting business I've seen some awful things. I've seen coaches derail offers, I've watched kids be committed to a program for a year and had their offers pulled in April because a coach decided to go a different way. Again this is a business that has very little loyalty. Kids are products. Someone yelling to GT catch the tucking ball is a fresh reminder of that...

It is the ugly side of major college athletics that us fans rarely see. On the inside I am sure you and your family are dealing with a lot of that. I hope things work out for JT and you all. We need him here. Praying for you guys.

I'll give credit to whoever made this decision. It probably wasn't Bohn. Learn a lesson from the Hawk extension, lick your wounds and hope you can recover in a few years. Great recruits like Jeff need to know the direction of the program and do what is best for themselves. Embree sold a bill of goods to recruits on which he couldn't deliver, it was obvious. His announcement to retool the offense from Pro to spread meant a different set of players were needed and sent an obtuse message. As far as players being furious, they didn't play to a level to help Embree. He didn't inspire them or put them in a position to succeed. They didn't play. Erase the board and start over.

Sad old shmucks trying to relive the glory days of the program. So out of touch...

Wait... seriously? trying to relive the glory days of the program is what WE'RE doing? I was pretty certain that by hiring a bunch of ex CU players that it was CU that was trying to relive it's glory days. Now I'm so confused.

Seriously, Embree was a complete failure. Unless failure is to be encouraged, CU had little choice in the matter. They did what they had to do. I'm sorry if that puts your panties in a wad. I'm guessing that you're OK with historically pathetic football. I'm not.

I can understand why you would not be happy with this. And honestly all of us wanted Embree to succeed. There is no other coach in the country, besides maybe Bienemy, that loves and cares about this university more. We wanted a buff to succeed. it just did not happen. Hawk got a lot more time then he deserved and it was mostly due to the bowl game and beating of #2 OU in his second year. Embree unfortunately had none of that going for him at the moment. It may have happened next year we may never know. But all of us here really did want Embree to do well here. IT would have been great if it happened, but sadly it did not. If you are currently on the team I hope you all keep your heads up and stay together, this program needs you. We need you to teach the new coach what it means to be a Buff because I know embree taught you that. We also need you to make sure the new coach earns your respect. Keep up the hard work. Buff nation is always behind you.

thanks.

One of the things I love best about this board is always being able to chop it up honestly with everyone. Tough skin, good or bad always got info and different perspective on things. So i want to share...when Jeff was sent home we had about 5 other D1 options. Problem was a decision had to be made within 2 days because school was starting and he needed to be on campus. We chose to STAY with CU out of the believe that things are going to change...CU fans are awesome and believe in each other no matter what. That the education from your school means something. And that the playing time the young ones are getting is invaluable. We put everything on the line believing in its coach and institution.

worst decision ever. players are livid... not enough time to fix something that is so broken... give hawk 5 years and embo 2... explain that? cant believe this.... shows how stupid our admins and fans are. one thing everyone said when he was hired was PATIENCE. and no one showed any. that was all embo asked... and no one provided him with it.
trash decision... hard for me to live with

I'm sorry, but I have to respond to this.

Patience is fine so long as progress is being shown. There isn't a single objective measure that we can look at from this season that indicates any kind of progress being made. None. Our recruiting rankings over the last 5 years average somewhere in the 50's or 60's, yet we were DEAD LAST in nearly every statistical category this year. That's not a talent issue. It's an issue of the coaching staff not properly preparing the players and doing the things they need to do in order to win football games. It's gross incompetence. I'm sorry if that hurts. I'm sorry if you're pissed off, but the fact of the matter is that Embree is incompetent. I'm sure he's a great guy and a positive role model. That and $.25 will get you a phone call to somebody who gives a sh!t. This isn't high school. Standards have not been met. There are consequences in life for failing to live up to the standards that have been laid out.

I'll say it again then. If they are content with 1-11 and losing by 50 most weeks, then I hope they do move along. I didn't play sports at CU but I did graduate from there with good grades since I was not content with failing my classes. What is the difference? Study, win, aim for greatness in whatever you do. 1-11 isn't it. If you can't win you get removed, if you can't get good grades they also remove you.

You're taking a timeout. This is not acceptable.

worst decision ever. players are livid... not enough time to fix something that is so broken... give hawk 5 years and embo 2... explain that? cant believe this.... shows how stupid our admins and fans are. one thing everyone said when he was hired was PATIENCE. and no one showed any. that was all embo asked... and no one provided him with it.
trash decision... hard for me to live with

Should be hard to live with dropping a 1-11 season.

Can't go around asking for patience, collect a big paycheck, and show absolutely nothing for it.

Buffs needed to make a change, and made it.

One of the things I love best about this board is always being able to chop it up honestly with everyone. Tough skin, good or bad always got info and different perspective on things. So i want to share...when Jeff was sent home we had about 5 other D1 options. Problem was a decision had to be made within 2 days because school was starting and he needed to be on campus. We chose to STAY with CU out of the believe that things are going to change...CU fans are awesome and believe in each other no matter what. That the education from your school means something. And that the playing time the young ones are getting is invaluable. We put everything on the line believing in its coach and institution.

I'm glad to hear that. I want Jeff to have all the success in the world. You all have shown faith and commitment to Colorado, and I hope that it is returned as well as rewarded.

The kids that are here or in the case of JT those that may be here sound angry and shocked. Totally understandable. However, when they signed on the dotted they know the risk anywhere. Tedford, Kiffin on the hot seat, Dooley etc. etc. that is part of the deal. But sometimes things work out for the better even though we can't see it at the time. I'm sure many of the AZ players loved Stoops, but some of their own personal fortunes may have changed for the better when Rich Rod came in, whether it be more PT for some or just the fact that they started winning and began to receive positive accolades. When one door shuts another one opens whether it be here in Boulder or elsewhere. Yes you can transfer, but how solid and safe is the staff you are transferring to? There really is no such thing, coaches that succeee take off suddenly too. Watch, even Chip Kelley could be on the move to the NFL.

A tough days for a lot of Buffs. Also, a tough decision that I'm glad was made. The way things were trending wasn't acceptable.

I hope to see JT on the field next year.

Moett88 - your posts here have been one of the things that I and many others enjoy about this community. We get all types and all perspectives around here - but many of us will remember firing off browser ballots to make sure our newly committed Buffs were recognised. Obviously we can't all be tied as closely to the program as we would like to be, but we do support with our time, our money and our passion. I know I will continue to look forward to seeing your young man take the field proudly wearing the black and gold, not just because of stat lines, but because you have taken the time to let us in on your experience. If the best choice for your family is not Colorado, some of us will understand, (probably some will cry sour grapes too), but in the meantime I hope you all find the peace and patience to allow the absolute best situation to reveal itself. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

The kids that are here or in the case of JT those that may be here sound angry and shocked. Totally understandable. However, when they signed on the dotted they know the risk anywhere. Tedford, Kiffin on the hot seat, Dooley etc. etc. that is part of the deal. But sometimes things work out for the better even though we can't see it at the time. I'm sure many of the AZ players loved Stoops, but some of their own personal fortunes may have changed for the better when Rich Rod came in, whether it be more PT for some or just the fact that they started winning and began to receive positive accolades. When one door shuts another one opens whether it be here in Boulder or elsewhere. Yes you can transfer, but how solid and safe is the staff you are transferring to? There really is no such thing, coaches that succeee take off suddenly too. Watch, even Chip Kelley could be on the move to the NFL.

Pretty much because sanctions are going to slap Kelley in the face...

Moett- I can't imagine how hard this is right now. To have this kind of uncertainty for your son has got to be the hardest thing for any parent. As much as I personally am anxious to see Jeff in black and gold, I am relieved to hear that he had those 5 D-1 offers. We want the best for Jeff, in Boulder or elsewhere. I have to believe that if a new CU staff does not honor the offer to Jeff (and I will be greatly bothered, not only because it would be the wrong way to treat the young man, but because I would have to question their evaluation of talent), another staff somewhere else will.

And while the coaches you put your faith in may not be around anymore, the institution you put your faith in is, and that education will mean just as much for Jeff's future. We will certainly all be keeping a good thought out for you and for Jeff, and hope you'll keep us updated. You're all in our thoughts...

In a perfect situation, perhaps Embree could have gotten a more standard term (4 years or something) but look how the program is cratering. You can't do 5 years of Hawkins and 4 or 5 of Embree with these results and expect to crawl away from that. The state of the program is desperate, and it dictated unusual (desperate?) measures. Will they save things? We don't know. It depends on who gets hired and some other factors. But decision-making like this is always an odds game. The odds were no longer in Embree's favor (based on the lack of progress we saw on the field in 2 years). The cushion that a guy like Hawk had isn't available anymore (in large part because of the outcomes under Hawkins' tenure). This move restores some hope. It may be false hope (only time will tell) but if you are looking at this from the perpective of people trying to keep a program alive (and season tickets selling, etc.) it will equal dollars and donations. Embree would need 2 decent years to get us back to that point.

Sorry. But it's a smart business move. Even if the short leash makes coaches hesitant to take the job...leaving them an even deeper crater next year (or the year after that) would achieve very similar negative results in terms of attracting coaching talent.

It's the best choice among a lot of bad options and in a bad situation. I feel for Jon and his staff though...

It was Embree himself that said he expected 6 wins and a bowl game this year.

This is what screwed him the most. If he said we were going to be a 2-3 win team this year with 2013 being a breakout year, he probably is still the coach. But to miss the mark so badly doesn't give anyone confidence in his prediction that the team was improving.

This is what screwed him the most. If he said we were going to be a 2-3 win team this year with 2013 being a breakout year, he probably is still the coach. But to miss the mark so badly doesn't give anyone confidence in his prediction that the team was improving.

No. His team's lack of performance on the field screwed him the most. If he had said we'd only win 2-3 games this year and still came out with the season we had, everyone would still be calling for his head.

No. His team's lack of performance on the field screwed him the most. If he had said we'd only win 2-3 games this year and still came out with the season we had, everyone would still be calling for his head.
This

To the players that are committed and are currently on scholarship: Sit down and take a long look at the difference between winning and losing. It really is a matter of 3 yards here, a play there, the right preparation the day before on a specials teams play. Your current staff wasn't able to recognize or instill the recognition to you on how to do this. Some of this falls on the players and there athletic ability. Most falls on the coaches.

Colorado will continue to hire and fire coaches until they find someone who will put you in the right place to succeed on the field. I can assure you that you will not forget Embree or the toughness he instilled in you but you also will appreciate the coach who helps you win.

Emotions are rightfully high. I'm ok with people getting a chance to vent.

For those here who wanted the coaching change, I really wish you'd respect this and not feel a need to spike the ball.

The push I supported was never an anti-Jon Embree thing, it was about CU showing it was willing to make strong decisions, invest in facilities and other improvements, and demand a higher standard for athletics. The results called for change (under a 20% win percentage) unless there were clear trends that demonstrated that things were on the road to significant improvement. The 2013 class not to the level of the 2012 recruiting, the stated need by Embree to change DCs and implement a new offense, and the lack of progress on the scoreboard clearly showed that a re-start was needed. Since there was going to be a re-start, a decision had to be made on whether Embree was the best candidate for that re-start or whether a new coach would be better able to make it happen. We'll never definitively know the answer to that, but the performance to date and the likelihood of a new coach giving a necessary recruiting bump to build on the 2012 class put the odds squarely in favor of new leadership being more likely to succeed.

Jeff Hall is not happy, hinting on transferring. Won't surprise me if we lose some players. CU was the youngest team in the nation. Looks like we are going to get even younger. Folks should not expect a miracle next year. I have no faith in Mike Bohn in hiring a suitable coach. The guy will go the cheap route. Don't understand how he gets to keep his job. My expectation for next year is not high. Can only hope we don't get blown out week after week.

Last edited:
I am sofa king happpy about the decision to let JE explore other options. I hope the players that truly want to be CU Buffs stick around.

Members of Buffs for Life had some influence getting JE hired and everyone here wanted JE to succeed. There's no denying JE tried to put his best foot forward to make everything work. However it's been pointed out here time and again since the season started that JE was in over his head. Like it or not, whats done is done. Let's support the team and move forward.

Back