What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hope you chuckleheads are happy...

completely agree that the lack of progress wasnt something that bothered me. it was. But looking at what the team had to deal with... being so young. not a lot of depth, no depth at qb based on hawk, losing p rich and jt. it is a lot to overcome in your second year when things are already so broken...

CU was like a broken car. But the issue was they hired a high scooler to fix the car instead of a ASE certified mechanic. JE is a great guy who had a great vision to bring back CU to prominence. Unfortunatly, he did not posess the skills or staff to make it happen.

What the kids need to remember is... CU almost assuredly will bring in better coaches that will help them grow and have a better experience, and better chance at the NFL.

Love Jon....but another year only meant another lost season and more losing.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully we can get a new staff in place soon. I hope many of them stick with CU, but completely understand if they decide to move on. I would urge the kids to wait to speak with the new coach before making any decisions.

Everyone wanted Embree to succeed but he didn't and he did not take preemptive measures to protect his job, why was Gregg Brown still coaching the defense this late into the season under the debacle of what had taken place up to this point? Was his sense of loyalty to Brown more important than his own job or that of putting a competitive team on the field on Saturdays? Embree made no moves down the stretch to secure his position. When we know we are not performing our jobs satisfactory do we not try and take the initiative to turn things around before the hammer falls?

I completely understand the idea that the players are upset. That's to be expected. But I hope that in the long term they figure out that this is best for them, too. As has been pointed out before, while yes, we were one of the youngest teams in the country, by the end of the season, most of these young guys had an entire year of college game experience under their belts, and they did not look the better for it.

I am really saddened that Embree failed. I was excited when he came here, and I wanted him to succeed. But he was in over his head, his assistants were failing him (and the kids), and there was little to no indication that Embree knew what was going wrong. At some point, the kids need to know that this collegiate experience was not going to be a good one for them. They aren't learning, they aren't improving, and they're getting destroyed week in and week out. Whether it is here or elsewhere, these kids will be better off with a different staff. I hope that most will stay and that they will be just as committed to the new staff as the old one.

I completely understand the idea that the players are upset. That's to be expected. But I hope that in the long term they figure out that this is best for them, too. As has been pointed out before, while yes, we were one of the youngest teams in the country, by the end of the season, most of these young guys had an entire year of college game experience under their belts, and they did not look the better for it.

I am really saddened that Embree failed. I was excited when he came here, and I wanted him to succeed. But he was in over his head, his assistants were failing him (and the kids), and there was little to no indication that Embree knew what was going wrong. At some point, the kids need to know that this collegiate experience was not going to be a good one for them. They aren't learning, they aren't improving, and they're getting destroyed week in and week out. Whether it is here or elsewhere, these kids will be better off with a different staff. I hope that most will stay and that they will be just as committed to the new staff as the old one.

+1

Some day these coaches are going to realize that part of the business is firing assistants.

Didn't Richt at Georgia get rid of most of his assistants a few years ago? Look at them know.

Hawkins brought his kid in here and Embree brought his best friend in. Doesn't usually turn out good.

Check out the Twitter feeds of all our players and best recruits including Sefo. Some already saying they will transfer and Sefo does not seem happy. You omniscient internet GMs wanted the program blown up, be careful what you wish for.

I'd rather it all blow up than have to wait until season 3 or 4 to reach the 6 win mark it takes to become bowl eligible....errr....oh wait....

Some day these coaches are going to realize that part of the business is firing assistants.

Didn't Richt at Georgia get rid of most of his assistants a few years ago? Look at them know.

Hawkins brought his kid in here and Embree brought his best friend in. Doesn't usually turn out good.
No, he didn't. It was definitely a "get the band back together" hire, but you are making a bull**** stretch that isn't fair or necessary.

No, he didn't. It was definitely a "get the band back together" hire, but you are making a bull**** stretch that isn't fair or necessary.

Yeah, as I remember it it was a deal of "we can't decide one over the other, but one as the head coach and one as the OC.....winning! Recruiting will be off the charts!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Others have already said it, but I just don't see a way that anyone who truly loves the Buffs would be 100% happy that Embo was fired. This is definitely a time of mixed emotions because Embree, Bienemy, and a lot of other former Buff greats spent a LOT of career capital coming to CU to help turn around the program and weren't successful.

Seeing former and present Buffs fail is not something that anyone here likes to see.

However, it was apparent that even though Embo and the staff had a great vision for what Buffs FB should be, they lacked the ability to execute it. It's a tough day all around, but I would hope that players, fans, parents, and admins would recognize that we will not stay down forever; we are going to be great again someday.

Of course, what the original post doesn't mention is the hundred top recruiting prospects that NEVER considered CU Football under Embree. A few of those will have some opened-eyes this week.

Anyone who wants to think one or two recruits "make all the difference in football greatness" can continue to drink that koolaid. Move to Guyana, too - it works great in those jungles.

Others have already said it, but I just don't see a way that anyone who truly loves the Buffs would be 100% happy that Embo was fired. This is definitely a time of mixed emotions because Embree, Bienemy, and a lot of other former Buff greats spent a LOT of career capital coming to CU to help turn around the program and weren't successful.

Seeing former and present Buffs fail is not something that anyone here likes to see.

However, it was apparent that even though Embo and the staff had a great vision for what Buffs FB should be, they lacked the ability to execute it. It's a tough day all around, but I would hope that players, fans, parents, and admins would recognize that we will not stay down forever; we are going to be great again someday.

the resounding message of dissent from parents, B4L, and other detractors of this move is that we are destroying continuity and that positive change cannot happen without it (continuity). this is quite interesting. they are acting like all was hunky-dory. like there was no division among players and coaches; as if there was measurable, positive progress. I just don't get it.

That leads me to ask this question - weren't there rumors of defections and transfers BEFORE this move? I'm assuming those were players who weren't happy with the current staff and might be convinced to stay now that there is a change.

Is it a net zero proposition then? I mean, I don't want anyone to leave out of a feeling that they don't fit into to what the program and the university is about, but why all this hand-wringing over what might happen now when there was a sense that it might happen anyway?

That leads me to ask this question - weren't there rumors of defections and transfers BEFORE this move? I'm assuming those were players who weren't happy with the current staff and might be convinced to stay now that there is a change.

Is it a net zero proposition then? I mean, I don't want anyone to leave out of a feeling that they don't fit into to what the program and the university is about, but why all this hand-wringing over what might happen now when there was a sense that it might happen anyway?

I don't know if I've ever seen where a player was so loyal to a coach that he decided to transfer based on a firing. All of these players will see who is hired, meet with that coach, and then decide whether the new vision is a good fit for them. Just about all of the players will decide to stay and quickly turn their attention to learning the new schemes, offseason training, and thoughts of winning football games in 2013.

I think more than a few players had lost confidence and were likely to leave (Yuri, Crawley, etc). A coaching change will result in few changes in the end, if any.

I am shocked but not altogether surprised Embree got fired. I’m not sure how you can expect a guy to turn around a program as messed up as CU in only two years. I think the problem is that we weren’t just bad this year we were epically bad. If we would’ve beat Sac St and CSU and also won a PAC12 home game and held the beatings to 28-7 instead of 50-7 then Embree would still be here. Does the next guy only get two years? At some point you have to pick a head coach and give him 4-5 years to build a program and grit your teeth through the rebuilding years. Next year we will still have one class of Hawk kids, two classes of Embree kids and whatever the new guy can salvage from the upcoming class. How well will that work?

I also hope that Bohn, DiStephano, & Benson belly up to the bar and make football and athletics a priority at CU. They need to realize that for better or worse your football program is a big part of your University’s “brand” and it’s in their best interest to have a winning program. They need to be willing to spend a good deal of money to get the right coach and also they need to get the facilities upgrade going.

I’m not in favor of bringing in a big-name retread like Petrino, Belotti, Chizik or Tedford etc. I hope they can get an experienced OC or DC from a top school like Oregon, Stanford or ND. I’ve seen or heard some other names like Dave Logan, Jack del Rio, and even Kyle Shanahan. I hope the Broncos give Del Rio a ton of cash to continue as DC and CU should ignore Logan. It’s a big crapshoot. How does Bohn get to make this call? He’s 0-2 on head coaches so far. Bohn is tied into to the utter destruction of the football program during the last seven years and he should get the axe too. It just feels like we’re starting over again and we’re another two years from having a winning season.

worst decision ever. players are livid... not enough time to fix something that is so broken... give hawk 5 years and embo 2... explain that? cant believe this.... shows how stupid our admins and fans are. one thing everyone said when he was hired was PATIENCE. and no one showed any. that was all embo asked... and no one provided him with it.
trash decision... hard for me to live with

Thanks Jon for putting your heart and soul back into the University. I saw in your eyes how badly you wanted to win. Thanks for bringing back the bricks on the wall (who Bohn gave approval to destroy) and helping to restore some of our lost traditions. As a true Buff, it hurts to see one of our own, someone that bleeds the black and gold not succeed. It also hurts to see so much negativity on the boards and forums for the lack or support for one of our true Buffs over the year! 2 years and everyone's pulling the rug. Well, back to the drawing board. Maybe 3 wins in the next couple years again. I guess the next coach gets 2 years as well, right Bohn! Rebuilding from scratch again.

What bothers me the most is that CU gives our Buff blood 2 years, while others from outside the circle (i.e. Hawkins) get 5 years??? Hmmm... Personnel wise, I would say that Embree has left the program in a better state in 2 years than Hawkins did in 5 years. So it saddens me that Embree was not given one more year. Whether Embree's firing is for better or worse, I think he's gotten the short end of the stick on this one.
I'm not surprised that Embree was fired at all, mainly because the AD doesn't know what he's doing and the 1-10 record. I think Embree was putting some of the right pieces in place to have sustained success. The stuff fans don't see, the things behind closed doors. But we all know that's not how today works, people want instant gratification.

I was not happy with the 1-10 record, that is for sure, but I knew CU is in full rebuilding mode and I was ready to swallow three down years (if Embree couldn't turn it around). I've been the joke of my house, joke at my job for the year the Football team put in. But now, unless a miracle happens, I'm going to the brunt of these jokes again for the next 2 years plus, because CU is right back where we started 2 years ago. I thought that if we replaced the OC and DC's we'd at least keep most everything else intact, including the players and recruits, we could improve exponentially next year.

I think firing Embree now was a bad decision. Why? Attrition, instability and the fact that I don't see another Coach turning things around next year. Now Maybe a new guy comes in here and gets us to a bowl game within the next two years, and if that coach does then right on, I'll eat my words and give praise to Bohn.

As of now, I think Mike Bohn is a joke and should be gone. I thought his (and Embree's) vision was to restore the tradition at the University of Colorado. Two whole years to restore the Buff tradition and put all the pieces back into place? Sure.

48 hours ago Embree was told he was coming back then something changed and boom, fired. The state of our leadership is in disarray. CU's leadership does not have the type of commitment it takes to build a perennial winner. Leadership caves into wants from the alumni/donors (i.e. hire a Buff), caves in to public ridicule, doesn't ante up the budget or salaries to compete with top notch programs, and doesn't accept any responsibility. Bohn is a puppet and now what the leadership is doing is hoping for a Boyle Hail Mary Miracle. Speaking of Boyle, why doesn't he have a way larger contract?

Giving Hawkins 5 years was mistake #1. Firing Embree after 2 years was mistake #2. Embree was left with no QB's in the cupboard because well, Hawkins Jr was here and CU couldn't recruit any successors to Hawkins Jr (LOL). Now we piss off a legitimate QB recruit in Sefo Liufau, who I think might be the best QB we've recruited since Kordell Stewart. The kind of kid that can change your program around!

Hansen and Stewart graduated and Richardson blows his knee. You have to be kidding me to think that Embree had enough time to turn this around. After 7-8 years of futility, I think Bohn should've been fired and let the next AD determine Embo's fate. Seriously, how many Coaches is Bohn on now? Like Klatt's tweet suggests, Bohn is constant in this whole mess. Embree gets 2 years and Bohn gets 8 and counting, give me a break!!! Bohn broke his ties with Embree to potentially save his own arse (because Boyle can only save his arse for so long). If Embree would've gotten the 3rd year and failed to show improvement, then Embree and Bohn could've been fired together, and I'd be all in for that! Bohn extended his life by one more coach with this move.

Anyways, I will stay loyal to my Buffs even though the Buffs front office is s**ting all over themselves right now. I'm not expecting consistent success until CU cleans house of the current leadership. Top to Bottom!

Like I said before, I don't think Embree got a fair shake, not enough time or a chance to turn this around, and something in Boulder really stinks, and it's Mike Bohn. Thanks Jon for bringing in some good talent as well and I hope it stays. Go Buffs!

I didn't watch many "full" games this year but it looks like I watched more than a lot of people on Allbuffs.

I was one that was very outspoken about wanting a change in direction for the program. Am I sad the Embree did not make it work, yes on many levels. First and foremost, I want the program to be successful and it would have been fantastic if a former die hard Buff like Embree could have pulled it off. There is just too much evidence when you examine the facts that this was just not going to happen. The coaching was only one problem in the program and we have argued that there need to be wholesale changes in how the program is run if we are to get out of this death spiral. Unfortunately, finding a new head coach with credibility is the first step to getting the recruiting at CU back on track. At the same time, there are other steps that need to take place and these have been outlined at length in other areas on the board.

As for the kids in the program, we need to give them some time. They look forward and see a lot of uncertainty at this point and have no idea who their new leader will be. Once a coach is selected, they will get a chance to listen to him and determine if they want to be part of his plan for the future. They need a chance to process and we should not over react and criticize them for their emotional responses. They have a lot vested in the program and the coaches. These changes are huge for their future and it completely makes sense that they are upset. They need time and we should honor that need.

Thanks Jon for putting your heart and soul back into the University. I saw in your eyes how badly you wanted to win. Thanks for bringing back the bricks on the wall (who Bohn gave approval to destroy) and helping to restore some of our lost traditions. As a true Buff, it hurts to see one of our own, someone that bleeds the black and gold not succeed. It also hurts to see so much negativity on the boards and forums for the lack or support for one of our true Buffs over the year! 2 years and everyone's pulling the rug. Well, back to the drawing board. Maybe 3 wins in the next couple years again. I guess the next coach gets 2 years as well, right Bohn! Rebuilding from scratch again.

What bothers me the most is that CU gives our Buff blood 2 years, while others from outside the circle (i.e. Hawkins) get 5 years??? Hmmm... Personnel wise, I would say that Embree has left the program in a better state in 2 years than Hawkins did in 5 years. So it saddens me that Embree was not given one more year. Whether Embree's firing is for better or worse, I think he's gotten the short end of the stick on this one.
I'm not surprised that Embree was fired at all, mainly because the AD doesn't know what he's doing and the 1-10 record. I think Embree was putting some of the right pieces in place to have sustained success. The stuff fans don't see, the things behind closed doors. But we all know that's not how today works, people want instant gratification.

I was not happy with the 1-10 record, that is for sure, but I knew CU is in full rebuilding mode and I was ready to swallow three down years (if Embree couldn't turn it around). I've been the joke of my house, joke at my job for the year the Football team put in. But now, unless a miracle happens, I'm going to the brunt of these jokes again for the next 2 years plus, because CU is right back where we started 2 years ago. I thought that if we replaced the OC and DC's we'd at least keep most everything else intact, including the players and recruits, we could improve exponentially next year.

I think firing Embree now was a bad decision. Why? Attrition, instability and the fact that I don't see another Coach turning things around next year. Now Maybe a new guy comes in here and gets us to a bowl game within the next two years, and if that coach does then right on, I'll eat my words and give praise to Bohn.

As of now, I think Mike Bohn is a joke and should be gone. I thought his (and Embree's) vision was to restore the tradition at the University of Colorado. Two whole years to restore the Buff tradition and put all the pieces back into place? Sure.

48 hours ago Embree was told he was coming back then something changed and boom, fired. The state of our leadership is in disarray. CU's leadership does not have the type of commitment it takes to build a perennial winner. Leadership caves into wants from the alumni/donors (i.e. hire a Buff), caves in to public ridicule, doesn't ante up the budget or salaries to compete with top notch programs, and doesn't accept any responsibility. Bohn is a puppet and now what the leadership is doing is hoping for a Boyle Hail Mary Miracle. Speaking of Boyle, why doesn't he have a way larger contract?

Giving Hawkins 5 years was mistake #1. Firing Embree after 2 years was mistake #2. Embree was left with no QB's in the cupboard because well, Hawkins Jr was here and CU couldn't recruit any successors to Hawkins Jr (LOL). Now we piss off a legitimate QB recruit in Sefo Liufau, who I think might be the best QB we've recruited since Kordell Stewart. The kind of kid that can change your program around!

Hansen and Stewart graduated and Richardson blows his knee. You have to be kidding me to think that Embree had enough time to turn this around. After 7-8 years of futility, I think Bohn should've been fired and let the next AD determine Embo's fate. Seriously, how many Coaches is Bohn on now? Like Klatt's tweet suggests, Bohn is constant in this whole mess. Embree gets 2 years and Bohn gets 8 and counting, give me a break!!! Bohn broke his ties with Embree to potentially save his own arse (because Boyle can only save his arse for so long). If Embree would've gotten the 3rd year and failed to show improvement, then Embree and Bohn could've been fired together, and I'd be all in for that! Bohn extended his life by one more coach with this move.

Anyways, I will stay loyal to my Buffs even though the Buffs front office is s**ting all over themselves right now. I'm not expecting consistent success until CU cleans house of the current leadership. Top to Bottom!

Like I said before, I don't think Embree got a fair shake, not enough time or a chance to turn this around, and something in Boulder really stinks, and it's Mike Bohn. Thanks Jon for bringing in some good talent as well and I hope it stays. Go Buffs!

I agree that we're back to square one. And I also agree that it will take more than two years to rebuild this thing.

But after watching the last two years (regardless of what was in the cupboard), can you honestly say that Coach Embree--at this stage of his career--was the man to rebuild CU football?

We played well below our talent level. Who is accountable for that, in your mind?

1-11 and statistically the worst team in football in every category.

Embree would still be here had he won 3 games. Hell the Utah win might have saved him, and CU was leading right up to the point they kicked to the best return man in football, highlighting yet more poor coaching decisions.

The entire staff was a train wreck on gamedays. Players constantly out of position on D and those were the plays that it almost looked like we were trying to run some type of defensive scheme. Our O was so bad they could not decide if EB in the booth was better than EB on the field. Terrible play calls and a failure to make any adjustments at halftime. Throw in a QB sneak on first down just to prove to everyone the entire coaching staff was clueless.

I would guess that even after all the failure Embree had an opportunity to stay, but it was going to require wholesale changes to his staff including EB, Brown and others. Maybe Bohn didn't like what Embree had to say after the Utah game during their meetings to discuss how to fix things in the future.

I managed to force myself to watch enough games this year to see that the staff and team was not any better prepared to play in week 12 than it was in week 1.

Getting rid of Embree was the only choice Bohn could make.

I agree that we're back to square one. And I also agree that it will take more than two years to rebuild this thing.

But after watching the last two years (regardless of what was in the cupboard), can you honestly say that Coach Embree--at this stage of his career--was the man to rebuild CU football?

We played well below our talent level. Who is accountable for that, in your mind?

Is there a right answer here, probably not? Coaches were a good chunk of the reason, point a finger at any of them. Play calling and Defense drove me up the wall. I saw lots of inexperience and we had a lack of playmakers on offense. I think what this team missed most was that there was no leadership on the field.

okay guys, nobody expected Embree to turn this around in two years. Nobody really expected that was possible. What we did want was to see some improvement. We wanted to see the team competitive in games. Beat the teams you are supposed to beat.

okay guys, nobody expected Embree to turn this around in two years. Nobody really expected that was possible. What we did want was to see some improvement. We wanted to see the team competitive in games. Beat the teams you are supposed to beat.

Agreed.

Amazing how mad people get when someone supports Embo. He's gone now and folks are still mad! LOL! One more time, IMO, OPINION he should've got one more year. That's all. I think the next coach gets some talent if the players stay.

Agreed.

Amazing how mad people get when someone supports Embo. He's gone now and folks are still mad! LOL! One more time, IMO, OPINION he should've got one more year. That's all. I think the next coach gets some talent if the players stay.

He would have received one more year IF he had this team playing D1 football. They were not and his coaching decisions are DIRECTLY responsible for that.

A good coach adjusts for his talent and schemes to give them the ability to play well, if not always to have a chance to win. Stubbornly, Embree did not! In the best of their games, the players looked dazed and confused.

What' s the excuse for CSU? For Sac State(for gawd's sake)? For Fresno being an utter rout? For Utah? For UW? Playing an injured J. Webb in the UW game, when you've talked up the quality of your 3rd string guy is incomprehensible! For the AZ RB Berry looking all-world, especially when you knew and admitted beforehand that he would be Az's guy for that game??

When mere "competence" would have secured it, Embree's total incompetence in all phases of the game does not merit a third year.

Back