What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How do you feel about the USC loss?

How do you feel about the USC loss?

• Total voters
MacIntyres strategy, at least what I think his strategy is, is risky because it takes a lot of time. It could be the foundation for some real long term success, but he may not get the chance to see it pay off.
I agree and I think there's a really good chance that Mac stressed this point during the interview process, or at least made it known that his strategy would not be a quick fix. Obviously, whatever conversations were had to that point, were had with Mike Bohn and not Rick George, so that plays into it, but I would imagine RG and MM have had very similar discussions on the subject.

I think there is a shift happening right now. I think we are seeing HCMM's strategy starting to work. All the pieces are coming together, the only thing missing is the wins, and they are getting closer on that end. That is what is so frustrating, and probably why the fan base is getting so restless. There is hope in these games. It hurts a lot more knowing we have a shot to win and don't, then it did when we knew we had no shot at all.

I think RG is a patient person. I know that people here are quick to point out HCMM is not RG's coach, but I think they have a much closer working relationship than people want to acknowledge. That being said, RG is also a business man. He needs results. Once keeping HCMM becomes more detrimental than finding a new staff, RG will make the move. I just don't really have a feel for where that line is.
I would agree they look far more organized and there is a definite plan (although we may critique it heavily at times) as to schemes, game plan etc. That is an improvement. I see better technique from players. I see a better S&C. I know I get sick of hearing it too. What I don't see: OL and DL play at P12 level, depth. Those two are killers.

Exactly... If they make it that far, is anyone supremely confident that Utah would beat Stanford, Oregon or Cal in the Pac 12 Championship?

Why not? If Utah wins the PAC12 South why would you suppose they lose to Stanford this year? They've beaten them the last two seasons in a row. Once when they were ranked AP#5.

Why not? If Utah wins the PAC12 South why would you suppose they lose to Stanford this year? They've beaten them the last two seasons in a row.
It was a general question about the parity we have seen/are going to continue to see in the Pac 12 this year. Right now, Utah looks like the best team in the South. A few weeks ago, it looked to be UCLA or USC. UCLA gets beat by ASU and USC will now be lucky to be ranked. Same goes for the North.

Oregon was the choice in pre season and now everyone seems to think they should have been beaten by CU. Stanford looked horrible to start the year and now they look amazing with one of the best players in the country. Then you have Cal sitting at 5-0....

The point is that, there is no clear cut team right now that could represent the Pac 12 in the playoff. Utah looks like it could be if they can hold up against Cal this week, ASU the next and USC on the road the following week. Not to mention UCLA later in the season.

Utah is a good team this year. Stop getting ****ing butt hurt over every comment that calls Utah's credibility into question.

I would agree they look far more organized and there is a definite plan (although we may critique it heavily at times) as to schemes, game plan etc. That is an improvement. I see better technique from players. I see a better S&C. I know I get sick of hearing it too. What I don't see: OL and DL play at P12 level, depth. Those two are killers.

And I think those two are not only tied together, but also tied directly to the lack of recruiting by Hawkins and the insane amount of attrition from Embree's recruits. HCMM could have, and probably should have, pursued more JUCO players to try and immediately improve roster depth.

It was a general question about the parity we have seen/are going to continue to see in the Pac 12 this year. Right now, Utah looks like the best team in the South. A few weeks ago, it looked to be UCLA or USC. UCLA gets beat by ASU and USC will now be lucky to be ranked. Same goes for the North.

Oregon was the choice in pre season and now everyone seems to think they should have been beaten by CU. Stanford looked horrible to start the year and now they look amazing with one of the best players in the country. Then you have Cal sitting at 5-0....

The point is that, there is no clear cut team right now that could represent the Pac 12 in the playoff. Utah looks like it could be if they can hold up against Cal this week, ASU the next and USC on the road the following week. Not to mention UCLA later in the season.

Utah is a good team this year. Stop getting ****ing butt hurt over every comment that calls Utah's credibility into question.

I'm not butthurt. Your captain obvious explanation could be boiled down to say the schedule is playing out and it's changed peoples preseason ideas. Really? Shocking.

The schedule and how any team does in it are all that matters. Everyone knows the PAC 12 is a brutal conference schedule. It's likely no team will survive without a loss. Utah has never beaten either Arizona team since entering the PAC. Every PAC team faces a brutal schedule.

Utah has done as much as anyone to this point, but the hard part (for everybody) lies ahead. We are all just discussing our ideas of what we believe.

I'm not butthurt. Your captain obvious explanation could be boiled down to say the schedule is playing out and it's changed peoples preseason ideas. Really? Shocking.

The schedule and how any team does in it are all that matters. Everyone knows the PAC 12 is a brutal conference schedule. It's likely no team will survive without a loss. Utah has never beaten either Arizona team since entering the PAC. Every PAC team faces a brutal schedule.

Utah has done as much as anyone to this point, but the hard part (for everybody) lies ahead. We are all just discussing our ideas of what we believe.
I was simply responding to buffnik about the parity that has been a little more prevalent this year than in years past. Utah looks like the class of the conference right now but, even if they were to win the South, I would still say the conference championship game is a coin flip. That hasn't really been the case in recent years.

I hope they lose all of their games at this point and we somehow get better at recruiting CA because of it. Combine it with the ****ty UT team and maybe we can get back to getting some decent recruits out of both TX and CA

Not against Utah State, they didn't. And Michigan, while a good win, wasn't a game they looked "great" in. I'm just not seeing a team in the Pac-12 that looks like it can roll into the playoffs. Rather, a bunch of teams I think are really good but outside the top ten when the dust settles.

CU lost at home to Fresno State in 2001 to start the season.

I think there is a shift happening right now. I think we are seeing HCMM's strategy starting to work. All the pieces are coming together, the only thing missing is the wins, and they are getting closer on that end. That is what is so frustrating, and probably why the fan base is getting so restless. There is hope in these games. It hurts a lot more knowing we have a shot to win and don't, then it did when we knew we had no shot at all.

The only two things missing are the wins and the talent to get those wins. As somebody upboard said, MacIntyre is recruiting SJSU talent. MWAC talent does not win in the Pac-12. People are debating about the difference in winning two versus three conference games this season. That is depressing. If MacIntyre had brought in P12 talent, he would have won some games. He seems to be a good coach, but his model takes 5-6 years just to get off the bottom. Add another 5-6 years to reach the top. Nobody gets 10-12 years, not at any level of college football.

The fact that USC chose to kick a fg (instead of going for it behind by 4), combined with the kick falling short... that was just glorious. If we can't laugh at the misery of teams we hate, what else do we Buffs have?

Top 5 hilarious plays this year...

5. USC's kicker coming up short on a 45 yard fg
4. Texas losing to OKST on a fumbled punt
3. Nebraska losing to Illinois on a last second TD pass
2. Texas losing to Cal on a missed XP
1. Nebraska losing to BYU on a hail mary

USC has shown they are vulnerable to physical defenses. Sark is always going to underachieve as a coach. He does not have his team ready every week. He is a worse version of Mark Richt.. I wonder if this was a turnaround spark for the Huskies. Love the call on 3rd and 5 when they had a frosh QB throw the ball to ice the win.

The fact that USC chose to kick a fg (instead of going for it behind by 4), combined with the kick falling short... that was just glorious. If we can't laugh at the misery of teams we hate, what else do we Buffs have?

Top 5 hilarious plays this year...

5. USC's kicker coming up short on a 45 yard fg
4. Texas losing to OKST on a fumbled punt
3. ****braska losing to Illinois on a last second TD pass
2. Texas losing to Cal on a missed XP
1. ****braska losing to BYU on a hail mary
The Nebraska Illini game was more funny because they could of almost run out the clock but threw an incomplete pass to stop the clock.

Lefty makes some very good points.

We do have some PAC12 level players, just not near enough of them.

I don't think the top 1/2 to 1/3 of our roster is that far away from a number of the other schools in the conference. We aren't even with the rest of the bottom half but at the top of the roster we aren't far away.

Where the real issue comes is with the bottom 1/2 of the roster. Where they have marginal PAC12 guys on the 2 and 3 deep we have guys who end up getting called on who are at best middle level MWC guys (not starters, backups in the MWC.)

Embree went after a lot of top flight talent. Some of it he got but it didn't stick. Far to often when he didn't get the guy he wanted he had no viable back-up plan and we ended up with with a guy who had little to no business in a P5 uniform. This on top of what Hawkins left which was below standard as well.

M2 came in and used his philosophy of recruiting developmental guys. Some of those are coming on but there is always a risk that they never will. When you have a roster that lacks quality depth you then end up playing guys that no other PAC12 team would put on the field.

Recruiting under M2 has improved some every year but still been less than we need to catch up. Finally this year with Leavitt and Tumpkins it looks like we are recruiting (and getting commits from) the kind of kids we need to compete with PAC 12 teams. With the guys committed now I can see a number of those "developmental" guys who are recruited over and who will never be more than depth pieces.

Unfortunately had we started this a couple years ago we would be getting to a competitive point now and could look forward to an expectation of some conference wins that aren't fluky.

It pisses me off because even as a bottom of the conference team, UW still has Pac 12 level talent and is capable of winning at USC. ASU is average at best and is able to go into the Rose Bowl and beat UCLA. Utah can go anywhere and beat anyone. Even freaking Cal is ranked in the top 25 now. ****ing CAL! And yet, we can't buy a damn conference win. We've lost 12 straight conference games. How is that even possible? Teams in this conference win games by accident and we've lost 12 straight in conference. The only thing UW's win did last night for me was reinforce the perception that we have a loooooooong way to go to compete in the Pac 12 week after week.
lol for needing reinforcing and getting it from a non-CU game

CU lost at home to Fresno State in 2001 to start the season.

This year in the Pac-12 South or early 2000's in Big-12 North?

A very important point that too often gets lost in the discussion.

The only two things missing are the wins and the talent to get those wins. As somebody upboard said, MacIntyre is recruiting SJSU talent. MWAC talent does not win in the Pac-12. People are debating about the difference in winning two versus three conference games this season. That is depressing. If MacIntyre had brought in P12 talent, he would have won some games. He seems to be a good coach, but his model takes 5-6 years just to get off the bottom. Add another 5-6 years to reach the top. Nobody gets 10-12 years, not at any level of college football.

Learn how to multi-quote, you dumb mother****ing asshole.

To respond to OP, all it means is us CU fans were probably wrong about complaining we don't get to have UW on the schedule this year since "they're down".

what's the general sentiment about the USC loss?

F*ck USC. In fact, F*ck every PAC 12 team (other than Cal) now that t conference play has begun. Special hate for Utah this week. F*ck You Devil Dog!

Colorado is o.k. in my book because we don't play your squad this year, I like your campus, I like your women, I enjoy camping, drinking and skiing and because I like about 28 posters here. The rest of you can kiss my hairy bear butt cheeks. You're o.k. too Hokiehead but you're on a week-to-week contract and I'm still waiting for you to post pix of hot chicks. Get with the program!

F*ck USC. In fact, F*ck every PAC 12 team (other than Cal) now that t conference play has begun. Special hate for Utah this week. F*ck You Devil Dog!

Colorado is o.k. in my book because we don't play your squad this year, I like your campus, I like your women, I enjoy camping, drinking and skiing and because I like about 28 posters here. The rest of you can kiss my hairy bear butt cheeks. You're o.k. too Hokiehead but you're on a week-to-week contract and I'm still waiting for you to post pix of hot chicks. Get with the program!

where exactly shall we place the kiss?

bear_butt.jpg

IMO, HCMM went for the SJSU type recruits because he knew what he could expect from them, he knew he could get them here, and he knew that he could build a competitive team built on a foundation of those kinds of players. You can see now that his roster is comprised of the guys he wants it to be comprised of that now he is going for the higher rated athletes.

MacIntyres strategy, at least what I think his strategy is, is risky because it takes a lot of time. It could be the foundation for some real long term success, but he may not get the chance to see it pay off.
Mike tried to recruit more talented players ,but rarely won head to head battles against P5 teams, and his assistants didn't help matters. He rarely got the guys he targeted early. Now, JL is showing what a dynamic personality does for recruiting.

We get more smack when our resident yoot and teddy bear go at it...we are pathetic.

Back