What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How does this win rank?

Not sure how this translates to any formal ranking system. The last time I spent this many hours at the office not working and instead googling articles on Colorado Football was after the 2007 OU win. Considering the moment in time, how long we have all waited for this, and my hatred for the Ducklings, I would rank this just above that win.

In the spirit of milestones for CU's Rise
- Get the program's 1st ever win against USC & ASU
- Get the program's 1st Pac-12 win against Stanford, UDub, UCLA
- Bowl Eligibility
- end poop thread
- Compete for P12 South
- Win P12 South
- Win CCG
- Sustain 10+ win seasons
- Sustain national ranking
- Playoff Birth
- Compete for national title
- Win national championship

fixed

Obviously, we have to wait for context to build up to understand how big this win actually is. If we keep up a high level of play, and keep getting wins over the next 3-5 years, we'll see this as a turning point. It would become the earliest and most tangible evidence for CU showing that they've transcended being "so close" to actually "being there." If the rest of this season is a flop, and we never challenge for a pac 12 title over the next 3-5 years, it's just a nice win surrounded by historical context that renders it largely irrelevant (i.e. WVU 2008, Georgia 2010, even OU 2007, etc.)

More than anything, this game can help us set the expectation that CU should compete with the biggest conference foes, week in and week out. Sometimes we won't wind up getting that game winning pick, but after this point, we should no longer look at the schedule and see automatic losses. Prior to this season, even, I saw UM, UO, and Stanford as automatic losses, and very likely blow outs. The excitement and anxiousness that coursed through this game is what I want to feel when I watch CU football. If I don't feel that sort of excitement, I don't watch (I kinda tuned out from 2011-2013, sorry). This level of competitiveness should become normalized at this point. Whether that means we challenge for pac 12 titles, or just become one of those 7-5 or 8-4 teams remains to be seen, but this is a game that raises the bar.

Too soon to say just like GoldStampede said but it's hard to contain the excitement that CU has a chance to win every single game left on this year's schedule.

It was a good win but it doesn't mean doodly squat unless the buffs win next week and the next an the next and so on and so forth.

This win against the ducks to me feels very similar to the win against Texas in 1990 (MNC year). It was a pivotal game for the buffs in the 90 season. When we plated Texas (on the road) we were 1-1-1 and were not really sure if we still had a shot at the NC . You could sense that the team had some doubts about the caliber of team they were.

The first half against Texas showed we were clearly the better team but we let Texas back into the game and they had the lead in the 4th qtr. The buffs, using their sheer willpower, came from behind, on the road, in the 4th quarter and won the game. Many people say that game was the turning point of the National Championship season - the game where the team started believing they could beat anyone , anytime, anyplace.

I think last week's game was the equivalent for the current buffs. There is no longer a question about what they are capable of, they beat a powerhouse program on the road, from behind in the 4th quarter. They have shown it on the field and on the scoreboard. I'm not saying we are going to win the MNC this year, I just think we turned the corner from a confidence/mindset standpoint and the team now has much higher expectations of itself. Watch out Pac 12, the Buffaloes are getting up to speed.

Buffs were lucky to come out of Eugene with the win. Helfrich screwed the ducks. They should have run the ball into the endzone. Or at least taken the game to OT.

Agree with all who say we need to see how this season, and future seasons play out to really see how big this win is. What I will say is - unlike the WVU/Georgia (who were also both unranked), and 07 Oklahoma - this was on the road, which has been our Achilles heal.
Additionally, the Ducks have truly been our nemesis since joining the Pac-12. They have humiliated us consistently in addition to crushing ANY hope a (split) title in 2001.
And unlike WVU, Georgia, Oklahoma - WE WON this game. Those other ones it seemed more like those teams just lost it.
But no - not one of the biggest wins...yet.

Buffs were lucky to come out of Eugene with the win. Helfrich screwed the ducks. They should have run the ball into the endzone. Or at least taken the game to OT.

Not so sure about luck, we took it from them and their last TD was a pass in the end zone against us. We also had some good run stops late in the game, so who says we don't stop them if they run? What if they miss a FG? Honestly I don't think the ducks wanted to go to OT with us. They had enough of us at that point and wanted to end it then. Remember Oregon never scored in the 4th qtr and Colorado's offense was starting to come on again.

Agree with all who say we need to see how this season, and future seasons play out to really see how big this win is. What I will say is - unlike the WVU/Georgia (who were also both unranked), and 07 Oklahoma - this was on the road, which has been our Achilles heal.
Additionally, the Ducks have truly been our nemesis since joining the Pac-12. They have humiliated us consistently in addition to crushing ANY hope a (split) title in 2001.
And unlike WVU, Georgia, Oklahoma - WE WON this game. Those other ones it seemed more like those teams just lost it.
But no - not one of the biggest wins...yet.

Exactly. It's impossible to know how big that win was without the perspective of hindsight. It sure was fun, though.

It was a big win but like Nik said, maybe it'll be bigger looking back. If they can continue this, it might be the point it turned around, maybe? Still think the Michigan game was big eventhough they didn't finish. It's like, we should've won and pissed it away. Sometimes, that's just the trigger you need as a team. We shall see. What made me a CU fan more than anything, besides being born in Colorado was this. We'd play anyone, anyplace, anytime, that's what made my decision very easy. Love that as a fan.

Back