What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

how far away are we from being a threat in the PAC:12

tante

Club Member
Club Member
since it was the offseason and boring I started thinking about how awesome it would be if we could grab a handful of guys from the Penn State roster to play for CU this fall. I started think about how many players it would take for us to finish 2nd in the PAC:12 south. Let's say we grabbed these guys:

OFFENSE
Silas Redd RB: 1250 yards, 7 TDs
Justin Brown WR: 35 reception, 520 yards, 2 TD

DEFENSE
Gerald Hodges LB: 106 Tackles, 4.5 Sacks
Jordon Hill DT: 59 Tackles, 3.5 Sacks

what would added these four guys do to our team? What if we added either a CB or S and an interior o-lineman? Would that be enough to finish 2nd in the PAC:12 South? Just wondering how far we really are away, do we just need a couple of game-changers in a few key positions?

Recognizing how much of a stretch you are making even with the assumption these four players were coming the answer is no, this wouldn't be enough for 2nd place. There is still a cultural change in progress that needs to be further along for the Buffs to enjoy real competitiveness and we need quality depth at several key positions that I think would prevent a 2nd place finish

Recognizing how much of a stretch you are making even with the assumption these four players were coming the answer is no, this wouldn't be enough for 2nd place. There is still a cultural change in progress that needs to be further along for the Buffs to enjoy real competitiveness and we need quality depth at several key positions that I think would prevent a 2nd place finish

I didn't intend to say those guys were coming, I was saying that if we got those four players, how much of a boost would that give us? I picked those guys because hypothetically we can get them here (realistically we won't).

Last edited:
And three other teams in the South are facing those issues as well.

I didn't intend to say those guys were coming, I was saying that if we got those four players, how much of a boost would that give us? I picked those guys because hypothetically we can get them here (realistically we won't).

Understood and no offense intended. But no it wouldn't be enough

To bad football sucks in an all-star game format and is so hard on the body.

Could you image the money that could be made this time of year with a series of games featuring alumni players from various schools playing alumni from other rival schools.

How fast would they sell out in Lincoln to see a buch of old fuskers play, how much could you charge to see Texas alumni play aTm alumni in Jerryworld. An Ohio State-Michigan match-up would drive them nuts.

To bad football sucks in an all-star game format and is so hard on the body.

Could you image the money that could be made this time of year with a series of games featuring alumni players from various schools playing alumni from other rival schools.

How fast would they sell out in Lincoln to see a buch of old fuskers play, how much could you charge to see Texas alumni play aTm alumni in Jerryworld. An Ohio State-Michigan match-up would drive them nuts.

as cool as this idea is, i can't see it happening. injury delays on every play and potential destruction of the football legacies would get in the way of a successful venture.

CU is still 2-3 years away unfortunately. Hopefully they're back fast, but it takes time to rebuild a burned program...

(even UW in year 4 under Sark is at least another year away best case scenario)

CU is still 2-3 years away unfortunately. Hopefully they're back fast, but it takes time to rebuild a burned program...

(even UW in year 4 under Sark is at least another year away best case scenario)
Hopefully 2 years, but realistically 3 maybe 4. Hawkins destroyed the CU football program, almost as much as Fairbanks - who was the all time worst.

This is all assuming Embo actually gets this thing straightened out

And assuming that he gets the support from others that he needs as well.

We need to get help on the admissions front.

It is also important that we see the kind of progress on facilities that can be sold to recruits and fans generating enthusiasm going forward. The scoreboards are a start but they were almost something that was forced by the obsolecence of the old ones. Additional stadium upgrades, even if they don't involve additional seating, a permanent indoor practice facility, continued improvements to lockerrooms, team facilities, academic center, etc. are needed just to keep Embree in the conversation with other schools.

We also need to see a commitment to keep assistants salaries competitive. CU has been know for a long time as being on the low end for paying assistants. We need to be at least competitive enough going forward that our best assistants aren't forced to listen when offers come from other places.

I am by nature an optimist and believe that Embree is making good progress considering where the program was. Even if he doesn't turn the program into a solid winner the next coach will inherit a program that is much more solid than Embree came into.

That said turning a loser into a winner is hard enough. Without the needed support from the school and the AD I don't see Embree or anyone succeeding in the long run in any period of time.

He's getting plenty of help from admissions. I don't think that is a legitimate complaint at this moment.

Our assistants are some of the highest paid in the conference, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree with the rest.

He's getting plenty of help from admissions. I don't think that is a legitimate complaint at this moment.

Our assistants are some of the highest paid in the conference, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree with the rest.

Even though they turned down Crawley and Wilson this cycle and DiStepheno had to go to bat for them to get them in. The committee needs to quit with the harvard of the west idea.

It is an unpopular opinion on this board, but the coaching staff needs to actually coach up some guys to help turn this around.

It is an unpopular opinion on this board, but the coaching staff needs to actually coach up some guys to help turn this around.

I don't know why that's an unpopular opinion. I don't think there's any denying it.

I would say CU is 4-6 years from being a real threat in the Pac 12. That is if Embre is not needing to be replaced. He seems like a good coach, so he should be around for some time.

I assume you're maintaining that they haven't done this in their short stint here. Last year, I saw noticeable improvement in the guys that actually took coaching AND had ability. Clemons, Rippy and CUD to name a few. I really have little concern as it relates to this staff's ability to coach players. They do need to improve in their game day coaching IMO.

I assume you're maintaining that they haven't done this in their short stint here. Last year, I saw noticeable improvement in the guys that actually took coaching AND had ability. Clemons, Rippy and CUD to name a few. I really have little concern as it relates to this staff's ability to coach players. They do need to improve in their game day coaching IMO.

I am saying we really do not know their coaching ability right now, although I do think they are getting a little too much credit for coaching the 2011 team to three wins.

I am saying we really do not know their coaching ability right now, although I do think they are getting a little too much credit for coaching the 2011 team to three wins.

How many do you think we should have won? I'm leaning towards either 5 or 6 (Hawaii, Cal, WSU, Zona, Utah, and CSU with Hawaii being the 6th game).

Back