What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How hard is it to win a national title?

So you're saying Auburn was better than USC? That's the issue here. Not whether they picked the best game or not.

You're going to have a hard time convincing me that Auburn would have beaten USC. I think they played the next year, in fact. And USC hung 50+ on them in Auburn. That USC team was unreal.

No, I think USC was the better team, I also think Miami was better than Oregon in 2001. But just casual fans opinions like ours doesn't mean the best team really did win. Thats whats wrong with college football. We will never know because the best teams aren't always matched up.

No, I think USC was the better team, I also think Miami was better than Oregon in 2001. But just casual fans opinions like ours doesn't mean the best team really did win. Thats whats wrong with college football. We will never know because the best teams aren't always matched up.

It pains me to say this - because I hate the BCS. However with a playoff system the best teams would be matched up even less. How often is the basketball tournament, or superbowl, or world series ever a 1 seed vs another 1 seed. The best team is ususally eliminated before the title game.

It pains me to say this - because I hate the BCS. However with a playoff system the best teams would be matched up even less. How often is the basketball tournament, or superbowl, or world series ever a 1 seed vs another 1 seed. The best team is ususally eliminated before the title game.

so, you're saying Nebraska (that didn't win their division let alone conference) deserved to be in the title game over Oregon? Or Oklahoma deserved to be in the title game in 03 after not winning conference? Or Oklahoma deserved to be in the title game over Auburn in 04?

But it's not just casual fans like us who make those decisions. The BCS does a pretty good job of matching up teams. Maybe they miss here or there, but on balance, I really have a hard time arguing with any of the BCS champions. I honestly can't think of one that I'd argue with. You can always make a case for another team, but when you look at it objectively, I think it's pretty hard to say that any of the BCS champions were not the best team in the country that year.

so, you're saying Nebraska (that didn't win their division let alone conference) deserved to be in the title game over Oregon? Or Oklahoma deserved to be in the title game in 03 after not winning conference? Or Oklahoma deserved to be in the title game over Auburn in 04?

No, but '05/'06 Texas or USC probably would have been knocked off - not allowing us to see one of the greatest championship games ever.

With a playoff, a 3 seed matched up against a 2 seed Boise State will probably blow them out, then have a good shot at beating a tired 1 seed who played a fiesty 4 seed powerhouse LSU/Florida type school with 2 losses. A 3 or 4 seed (5-8 ranked team in the country) will almost always make the title game.

Back