What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How important is building relationships?

DBT

Club Member
Club Member
Kind of a question for you recruiting geeks. I know we haven't been nailing down 4 and 5 star guys. But isn't it important for the staff to build relationships and develop a positive reputation with the Cal, Texas, and Colorado schools, primarily? How are we doing in that regard? Are we building relationships with programs that regularly send top notch talent to the NCAA? Are we being received positively by these coaching staffs? Do any of these schools which we are recruiting have big time talent eligible for the next recruiting cycle?

(If this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it)

Last edited:
Apparently, there is a service that builds relationships for any school that's willing to pay. Chip Kelly told me about it.

Vitally important.

This is an area that I have been very happy about. We'll never win all the recruiting battles, but we're building a recruiting network in the places we need to.

One of the biggest strategic mistakes from the Hawkins error was the scattergun approach to recruiting. By focusing, we build relationships with coaches, administrators and others in the communities where we will be looking long-term for players. There is a continuity to recruiting that pays significant dividends over time.

It's not just the school, either. It simply becomes easier to recruit a player from the Houston area if we already have 5 guys on our roster from Houston that he can relate to and who can hang out with him when he visits. It makes it easier for the parents to feel comfortable sending their kid away to school when there's that network too. You'll often notice that the parents from the same areas usually sit together at games. And rule #1 of recruiting is that you've got to be able to recruit mom.

Basically, the answer is "yes" to all your questions. It's a process and we have to rebuild some of our key pipelines. The only one that's really been strongly maintained is Cabral's relationships in Hawaii.

And rule #1 of recruiting is that you've got to be able to recruit mom....... now that is a good one (but true). LOL!

Vitally important.

This is an area that I have been very happy about. We'll never win all the recruiting battles, but we're building a recruiting network in the places we need to.

One of the biggest strategic mistakes from the Hawkins error was the scattergun approach to recruiting. By focusing, we build relationships with coaches, administrators and others in the communities where we will be looking long-term for players. There is a continuity to recruiting that pays significant dividends over time.

It's not just the school, either. It simply becomes easier to recruit a player from the Houston area if we already have 5 guys on our roster from Houston that he can relate to and who can hang out with him when he visits. It makes it easier for the parents to feel comfortable sending their kid away to school when there's that network too. You'll often notice that the parents from the same areas usually sit together at games. And rule #1 of recruiting is that you've got to be able to recruit mom.

Basically, the answer is "yes" to all your questions. It's a process and we have to rebuild some of our key pipelines. The only one that's really been strongly maintained is Cabral's relationships in Hawaii.

Speaking of Houston, that's the back yard of Kanavis.

When does that Houston pipeline come online?

Relationships are very important. But it better not be a big excuse come February.

It's just about everything. I'm 100% sure that some of these unknown kids we are in on first are coming off of the relationships we have in place already.

But's it's not enough. You aren't going to get kids to come here based on relationships alone if you are losing and they have options to go to Auburn or Oregon, etc....

Also huge for the HS coaches at their respective region's D-I factories to say "A previous guy who played for me or against us and had big time potential went here and got a fair shake to see the field... was also coached up by the staff to have that potential realized. I'm confident in sending another kid there as I trust he'll benefit from the education and experience." Exactly why it's important to get the Mullens and CCs and all the local powers back on board with Embree and Co. A credible staff that plays the local talent and produces also gets you the in-state unrecruited warriors with the "heart" and "coach on the field" qualities to be PWO assets instead of the HS coach telling them to not bother and they'd be better off playing for UNC or Mesa.

relationship building is HUGE and IMHO is why we aren't seeing the Colorado kids commit because Hawkins ans Company stopped recruiting Colorado full time over a year ago....

we will see the tide turn in-state in due time=

Would you take a 2 star guy this year if it gave you a shot at a 4 or 5 star guy next year? Hell yeah you would.

Would you take a 2 star guy this year if it gave you a shot at a 4 or 5 star guy next year? Hell yeah you would.

Only if you are going to take the 2* guy independently. Otherwise, that strategy sucks.

Only if you are going to take the 2* guy independently. Otherwise, that strategy sucks.

:nod:

That 2* has to have the athleticism to compete at this level. I'm fine with a developmental guy that helps build a pipeline. What I'm not fine with is if he's a Northern Colorado level athlete and we take him only to help us get our foot in the door with a player or program.

Back