What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How Long Before RG Starts Rehab Of NW & West Folsom ?

InTheBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Heck it's only money right ?

Balch is an eyesore and the potential is there to make something really special. I'd also like to see the same look that Folsom already has in the NE corner to match in the NW corner. That will look sharp.

Heck it's only money right ?

Balch is an eyesore and the potential is there to make something really special. I'd also like to see the same look that Folsom already has in the NE corner to match in the NW corner. That will look sharp.

Get football winning first. Then I would expect a sound system at Folsom. Then I would expect renovation/expansion of the CEC. Then I would expect a replacement for Balch. It is going to be a while. We just don't have the donor base to expedite the timeline.

Get football winning first. Then I would expect a sound system at Folsom. Then I would expect renovation/expansion of the CEC. Then I would expect a replacement for Balch. It is going to be a while. We just don't have the donor base to expedite the timeline.
How much do you suspect a new sound system at Folsom would be? I mean, it has to almost be inconsequential relative to everything else they're doing, right?

That doesn't even tackle new seats, signage, and bathrooms throughout Folsom. Things that will cost millions, won't bring in a ton of new money, but are required to prevent Folsom from continuing to be/turning in to an unsightly embarrassment at times or in certain places.

How much do you suspect a new sound system at Folsom would be? I mean, it has to almost be inconsequential relative to everything else they're doing, right?

I think they've done something. When MacIntyre was talking over the mic at the end of the scrimmage, it was louder and clearer than I can remember. Something was upgraded.

I think they've done something. When MacIntyre was talking over the mic at the end of the scrimmage, it was louder and clearer than I can remember. Something was upgraded.
Let's hope. It may not seem like much, but the sound system and video boards were/are two huge issues for a long time for the in-game experience. Thankfully they got the video boards upgraded, but the sound was horrible last season.

As long as such improvements includes entombing the silent "blue hairs" who encamp on the west side and bringing in energetic fans in their place, I say "GO" tomorrow!

My guess is CU is positioning with Bose for a new sound system at Folsom as well... pair what they did with CEC + that they are turning Folsom into a premiere concert venue in the offseason and it would make a lot of sense for Bose wanting to get in on it as well.

Let's hope. It may not seem like much, but the sound system and video boards were/are two huge issues for a long time for the in-game experience. Thankfully they got the video boards upgraded, but the sound was horrible last season.

I think the old system was re-calibrated. This is probably why it sounds clearer than it used to. That being said, RG has specifically mentioned they are looking to upgrade the sound system at the stadium but it likely won't get done for another year or two. My guess is it will have something to do with our new partnership with Bose, which would be awesome.

@Highlander is exactly right. I was kind of expecting some of those things to be done when the replace balch, but they definitely need to be done. Chair backs between the 30's, new/more bathrooms and new concessions. Luckily the metal signage was replaced this past offseason, need to address the rusting railings though and the concrete bowl needs fixed.

Yeah that was almost too loud for a scrimmage haha, obviously different on game day. I thought RG already said there will be a new sound system for the 2017 season in his media round table?

I would actually expect Balch to be redone before a renovation to the CEC since Balch will likely involve enhancements to student facilities as well, not just athletic facilities.

I agree that a mirror look on the NW side will be important. As for a timeline, my best guess is about ten years. The cost of what they will need to do will be pretty close to what they just spent, even though it will be a much smaller footprint. Lots of renovating of existing buildings and working in very tight spaces. There isn't room, for example, to fully duplicate the Champions Center on the NW side. They'll have to build a facade that faces into the stadium while not having the same exact footprint on the outside.
I'd love to see a second deck added to the west side and an extension of the walkway all around the interior of the stadium.

I agree that a mirror look on the NW side will be important. As for a timeline, my best guess is about ten years. The cost of what they will need to do will be pretty close to what they just spent, even though it will be a much smaller footprint. Lots of renovating of existing buildings and working in very tight spaces. There isn't room, for example, to fully duplicate the Champions Center on the NW side. They'll have to build a facade that faces into the stadium while not having the same exact footprint on the outside.
I'd love to see a second deck added to the west side and an extension of the walkway all around the interior of the stadium.

Yes. Expand the size of the structure so that we can have more premium seating, do more seating as chairbacks instead of bleachers, and still keep capacity above 50k. Also, something should be done so that visitor fans aren't given such great seats that allow them to control crowd noise in one end zone.

Ultimately, I'd like to see a stadium capacity somewhere between 65k and 70k. And see it full. No sense adding capacity when you can't fill it.

Ultimately, I'd like to see a stadium capacity somewhere between 65k and 70k. And see it full. No sense adding capacity when you can't fill it.
55k with better premiums seating options on the west side seems about perfect for college football going forward, especially in Colorado.

55k with better premiums seating options on the west side seems about perfect for college football going forward, especially in Colorado.
Agree to disagree. I think a packed Folsom, with three enormous buildings on the North side and a second deck on the west side with 70,000 people in it would be one of the most intimidating places on Earth to play a football game.

We have a long way to go to get to that point, though.

Agree to disagree. I think a packed Folsom, with three enormous buildings on the North side and a second deck on the west side with 70,000 people in it would be one of the most intimidating places on Earth to play a football game.

We have a long way to go to get to that point, though.
Yeah but future enhancements will likely put seats between the 20's on each side and curl in the northwest corner which would reduce seating capacity quite a bit so adding a second deck and more box seats on the west side will probably get capacity to around 55-60K.

Going back to 2012, here were the renderings of what West/Balch and overall Folsom concept looked like:

20120825_123140_folsom1_edited-1_500.jpg

That stadium plan clearly got revised when we consider what was done in the NE Corner and N End Zone. What makes sense now is to mirror the NE Corner in the NW Corner. As so:
hqdefault.jpg

Then, there was the rest of the West side, with what would be reconfigured with Balch and the Press Box. Here was one rendering from 4 years ago:
20120825_123402_side1_edited-1_500.jpg

Making the Press Box one long area across the top and adding a bunch of bleachers along with Suite and Club levels would be a huge enhancement. Couple that with a 2nd level in the SW Corner that mirrors the SE Corner along with the previously mentioned mirroring of the NW Corner... and we've got ourselves one hell of a stadium.

That doesn't even tackle new seats, signage, and bathrooms throughout Folsom. Things that will cost millions, won't bring in a ton of new money, but are required to prevent Folsom from continuing to be/turning in to an unsightly embarrassment at times or in certain places.
The bathrooms at Folsom are terrible, for years I've had to resort to bringing balloons to piss into during games.

I'd also like to see a seamless melding of the curved seating areas in the corners into the seating in the north end zone. Raise that seating area and have the seats go straight through. It would have the effect of playing in a sunken pit. Just a little more intimidation factor.

I sure hope these things remain in place for the next twenty years.

With the relaxation of beer sales, I would love to see a bar/restaurant that is open to the public incorporated in the plans on the west side. Either above the press box, or underneath the club level. View of the field, full service for food/beverages. You know, the rooftop at coors field without the lodo d-bags.

coors_rooftopdeck.jpg

3EEA6AB0558947B1A98D035705C7D668.ashx

Back