What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How many wins does Hawk need this year for it to be acceptable to bring him back?

How many wins does Hawk need this year for it to be acceptable to bring him back?

• 1-3

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 4-6

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 7-9

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • 10 or over

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • 0- Hawk has lifetime appointment as coach

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Don't care, I want him gone after the Corn game

Votes: 15 21.7%

• Total voters
To me it is not a number of wins. For me to support Hawkins as HC I will have to be convinced that he is a good steward to be responsible for the CU football program. Right now I am convinced that he has not taken care of the program which has been entrusted to him. If he wins 10 games but I still am not convinced he will get the job completed in the long run then I am not interested in keeping him.

Stewardship = “the conducting, supervising, or managing of something ; especially : the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one’s care”

It goes hand in hand with the future of the program though. Having a winning season in 2010 means jack **** if we are sitting here next February talking about another subpar recruiting class (third in a row).

I think Dan knows he needs to win to save his job. Getting another 5* will mean jack **** if we are still losing.

I believe Hawk needs a winning season to be back. I could possibly see winning CSU, Hawaii, ISU, KSU, KS, Baylor...that's five wins. However, he needs 2 more from Georgia, at Cal, at Mizz, Tejas Tech, at Oklahoma, and at Nebraska. There might be 1 win there, but not two. If we had the QB position settled, we could be a surprise team, but we just don't have the talent there to win. Period. The day Hawk inked his son to an LOI doomed his tenure at CU.

Some interesting math there...since you listed 6 teams. Fundamentally I agree with you, that all of those are 50/50 games, I would add in TT as well since CU has historically had their number, they have a new coach and they have never won in Boulder. Hawkins could win 7 if everything fell right. Just won't believe it till I see it.

I think Dan knows he needs to win to save his job. Getting another 5* will mean jack **** if we are still losing.

But I am saying he needs to win and recruit well to save his job. We are past the point of just winning some games is going to be enough IMO.

But I am saying he needs to win and recruit well to save his job. We are past the point of just winning some games is going to be enough IMO.

So, what happens if he wins 8 games and has a crappy recruiting season? We won't know how crappy his recruiting is until February. The time to fire a coach is the week after the season ends. If you wait until after the LOIs are signed, you give each and every one of those kids the opportunity to back out of their LOI. You can't fire a guy based on verbal commitments, or lack thereof, either.

It's all academic anyway. The guy is out of his league. He's an incompetent boob who doesn't have the first clue about how to turn around a program. While I'd be willing to keep him if he managed to squeak out 8 wins, I'd say there's a better chance of me scoring a double team with Julianne Hough and Yvonne Strahovski.

So, what happens if he wins 8 games and has a crappy recruiting season? We won't know how crappy his recruiting is until February. The time to fire a coach is the week after the season ends. If you wait until after the LOIs are signed, you give each and every one of those kids the opportunity to back out of their LOI. You can't fire a guy based on verbal commitments, or lack thereof, either.

It's all academic anyway. The guy is out of his league. He's an incompetent boob who doesn't have the first clue about how to turn around a program. While I'd be willing to keep him if he managed to squeak out 8 wins, I'd say there's a better chance of me scoring a double team with Julianne Hough and Yvonne Strahovski.

You have to look at recruiting. If we are sitting on five verbals after a 8-win season, something is wrong. Why can't you judge a coach on the lack of verbal commitments? All one needs to do is look around the conference at that time and you can pretty much get a good idea of where you stand. It is a much more subjective measure for sure, but we are one more bad recruiting class away from the bottom dropping out in a couple years, regardless of the head coach.

I'm with BB on this one, is it really too much to expect wins and a pretty decent recruiting class? For Hawk to be welcomed back, it needs to go both ways. He can't be hauling in a top 20 class while going 5-7 for me to be happy either. He needs 8+ wins and a top 40 or so recruiting class for me to want him to come back.

Some interesting math there...since you listed 6 teams. Fundamentally I agree with you, that all of those are 50/50 games, I would add in TT as well since CU has historically had their number, they have a new coach and they have never won in Boulder. Hawkins could win 7 if everything fell right. Just won't believe it till I see it.

Doh! What a bonehead. Anyway, you got my drift regardless of my creative math.

Back