What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How Much Does Our Defense Improve?

I would say making a jump to the middle of the Pac would be a reasonable expectation. Right there with ASU and AZ from last year in the 70s is my prediction.

Here is the rest of the Pac12:

Stanford 2nd
UCLA 34th
USC 45th
Utah 49th
Wash 51st
Oregon 64th
ASU 71st
Zona 75th
OSU 87th
WSU 103rd
Cal 107th

Yeah think about that. Washington probably had the best talent on the defensive side of the ball in the conference last year (especially front 7) and Utah had one of the best D lines in the country. That is a huge jump that is almost impossible in one year.

A year older with some improved coaching should improve us into the 70's, I would think (read: hope).

A year of development for key players is going to be nice. New coaching a huge plus. I think we jump to the middle to the middle of the Pac, somewhere around 70

Healthy Gillam and Thompson -- top half defense in the Pac-12.

Either one doesn't happen and the Buffs are going to have to score a **** ton of points.

New DC... great reviews on Rippy and Gillam, retooled DL I think we're going to surprise some people. If this front 7 was around last year, I'll bet Henderson would have gotten drafted.

It is crazy to think that at 70, our defense would be immediately behind the National Championship runner up. The Pac-12 offenses are not fair.

78th. Turnover karma swings our way a little bit. Staying healthy is paramount as depth is sketchy.

Do we find someone to replace Henderson? Do we get more pressure on the QB? Can we fix the lb problem? Can we get better on stopping first down?

I think the Buffs improve a little but it will be hard without more talent on D.

Those long 3rd downs we seem to give up piss me off more than anything. Maybe it's just the timing of them, I don't have the numbers on how we are on 3rd down D.

If we can improve the yards per play to the 80's and bring our turnover margin from -10 (Tied for 112th in the nation) to around 0 or -2. We'll be in good shape.

New DC... great reviews on Rippy and Gillam, retooled DL I think we're going to surprise some people. If this front 7 was around last year, I'll bet Henderson would have gotten drafted.

Where are these great reviews you're referring to?

I suppose he is listed as a starter, which in itself is pretty incredible. I really hope this is his breakout year. If he plays up to the hype he had coming out of high school, this defense could be quite good. It turns a linebacker corps that could generously be described as mediocre and makes it pretty solid.

I agree with the guys who think our linebacking corps is frightening (to us), but what a big deal it would be if Rippy actually does step up, and Watanbe plays like he did before he caught the lisfranc virus. That is, with the same heads up and aggressive style he played with in HS.

Rippy has talent, nobody argues with that. He so far has failed to demonstrate it though.

If anyone can get a LB to wake up Leavitt might be that guy. If Rippy does step up he will be a big step in terms of athletic abilty for us.

I'm guessing we move up into the mid 80s if we stay reasonably healthy. That will put us better than 4 teams ( UW is going to plummet and has a much tougher schedule).

I'm guessing we move up into the mid 80s if we stay reasonably healthy. That will put us better than 4 teams ( UW is going to plummet and has a much tougher schedule).

I agree, I think we can be in the 80's somewhere but health is the key. Moving up to the 80's should equal more wins considering all the 4th quarter leads we had last season

3rd downs, points and turnovers is where we really need to improve. Yards is usually a poor indicator in the P12.

Yards I'm not too worried about, be strong inside the 20 and cause some turnovers, will definitely help.

Back