What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Leavitt - Frmr DC University of Oregon & Colorado

I wouldn't mind it, but 2 issues jump immediately to mind:

1. His "incident" at USF and how it's going to play with a Denver/Boulder media who loves to be destructive.
2. The KSU thing. "Dream job" or not, how embarrassing would it be if KSU poached our head coach?

We need a recruiter. We need a coach that understands that the next step is recruiting. Levit would be a great coordinator. If Mike could co-exist with him, I think we would not be having this thread.

I’d be ok with it pending he can get a great OC that can recruit. I think he would be open to keeping Chev as WR and RC.

We could do a lot better.
Weren’t there rumors that he was mostly show and not much effort when it came to recruiting?
Recruiting is the number 1 thing our next coach has to do and I’m sceptical Leavitt could do that here.

no-pepsi.jpg

Like a lot of guys, would hinge on who he could bring in with him as coordinators. Would need to bring in dynamic recruiters and scheme guys. Outstanding motivator, high-energy guy, would expect his teams to have toughness, but would definitely have some reservations.

I question that I can't deny his success as a HC at USF- I completely understand that he brought the program into existence as a I-AA program, brought them to D1, and got them ranked as high as number 2. He also never finished higher than 3rd in his conference nor won more than 4 cnoference games (the C-USA and the Big East, not exactly a murderer's row), and he had the built-in recruiting advantage of being the only school in either conference in Florida during his time there.

I think he's a good AC and a good coordinator, but a mediocre head coach.

Can't deny his success as a HC when he was at USF.

Can't deny his success as an assistant from his days at KSU, the 49ers and even the improvement at Oregon (probably his least successful performance in his career).

Can't deny that the most enjoyable CU season since probably 2001 was with him as our Defensive Coordinator.

He wants to be a HC again. His family never moved from Boulder. He hasn't burned bridges with the AD or fans. He probably doesn't bust the budget compared to a lot of other guys we could hire. And we know there are no questions about his energy level even though he turns 62 next month.

Why not Leavitt?

In my mind, I think he would be almost exactly what we need right now. He would produce a hard nosed football team, he would recruit lights out, and would prioritize line play (and recruiting in this area). I think we would very happy with a Leavitt coached CU FB team within a year or two, and for all the reasons you list, I think he represents one of the biggest value coaching propositions on the board. Not to mention, he would likely retire here rather than looking for the next big job out there like some of the up and comers we might consider

In my mind, I think he would be almost exactly what we need right now. He would produce a hard nosed football team, he would recruit lights out, and would prioritize line play (and recruiting in this area). I think we would very happy with a Leavitt coached CU FB team within a year or two, and for all the reasons you list, I think he represents one of the biggest value coaching propositions on the board. Not to mention, he would likely retire here rather than looking for the next big job out there like some of the up and comers we might consider
Do you have any evidence of the bolded?

Try naming a single recruit for which he was the difference maker.

I'll give you time.

I'll give you time.
Yep.

The thing with JL is that you'd need to hear a plan that he's going to hire a lights out recruiting staff like Oregon did. Like how Washington did under Sark and continued to emphasize with Petersen. I believe he's a pretty good closer on campus, but he's not a great on the road recruiter himself. Actually not as good as MacIntyre in that regard (though MM isn't a great campus closer).

i'd be a lot more up for it if he went G5 for a couple years as HC and killed it--and showed a bit more human face, let's say. now, today, i think there have to be better options.

agree with the poster above about Cristobal (so far at least). i've seen UO 2-3 times over the season and something isn't "right" there. self-destructo.

I'll give you time.
I guess I am not going defend myself with the type of specific evidence you’re looking to see here....I am more commenting on the fact that he is energetic and vocal, kids seem to love him...and throughout his career at kjsu and USF, in my mind, he has seen and represented knowing the importance of the jimmies and joes. That’s good enough for me since the head coach can barely recruit directly these days anyway.

Wondering how he would do with the big $ boosters. Say he were to get the job and hired fantastic recruiters and coordinators. Then his focus is on (outside the game itself) the boosters and school administration. Anyone know what his previous reputation was with those aspects of being the head coach?

Wondering how he would do with the big $ boosters. Say he were to get the job and hired fantastic recruiters and coordinators. Then his focus is on (outside the game itself) the boosters and school administration. Anyone know what his previous reputation was with those aspects of being the head coach?
He has definitely played that game with donors since he took USF from scratch and they had to raise money & create a support base from nothing for football.

Back