What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Leavitt - Frmr DC University of Oregon & Colorado

Wondering how he would do with the big $ boosters. Say he were to get the job and hired fantastic recruiters and coordinators. Then his focus is on (outside the game itself) the boosters and school administration. Anyone know what his previous reputation was with those aspects of being the head coach?
One good thing about this is, he’s already been here in a high profile way. If RG ends up going after him, I’m sure that RG thinks he’d do okay given his previous experience in Boulder.

He wants to be a HC again. His family never moved from Boulder. He hasn't burned bridges with the AD or fans. He probably doesn't bust the budget compared to a lot of other guys we could hire. And we know there are no questions about his energy level even though he turns 62 next month.

Really? That’s some seriously amusing optics right there.

Ummmm, we're not in Barzil, and I could be mis-remembering, so I'm not sure the ideal way to say this...

Didn't we hear rumors that someone who is usually expected to attend donor functions didn't exactly handle it well last time JL was here?

I was pretty high on Leavitt when he left for Oregon and really bummed when he did. Up until recently I've thought he would be a good replacement if HCMM were to ever leave. I'm conflicted now because I can't explain how the Ducks D could be so marginal with the talent they have. Leavitt's past performance doesn't seem to align with the results of this year, so I'm not so sure anymore. If you had asked the question before this year started, I would have been happy with the hire. I still would have preferred Miles over Leavitt, however.

One good thing about this is, he’s already been here in a high profile way. If RG ends up going after him, I’m sure that RG thinks he’d do okay given his previous experience in Boulder.

i like his fire and toughness a lot. i agree he would emphasize ol/dl. and, as you know well, all, and i mean, all, of our best teams have been super-physical and been able to control things upfront. i am super-intrigued by the idea of a really physical offensive line, coupled with the tenets of the go-fast offense we run now. i think it could seriously break down opponents, especially at folsom. if you look at stanford, they win because they are tough, disciplined, and smart. but, because of their academic requirements, they don't get as many blue-chips as some of the others in conference but their system works against all the grass-basketball teams in the league. if you look at utah, they have a lot of built-in disadvantages, but they punch above their weight because they are physical upfront, against a conference of teams that usually doesn't face this type of team.

things that concern me some:

the stuff that forced him out in his last hc job has never been fully resolved. and, it bothers me. and, he's never been completely open about what happened. and, that plays into some of my other concerns. he allegedly was taking shots at mm while he worked for mm in an effort to put himself in position for the hc job if mm had been fired. that's also not completely upstanding. i get it; these aren't choir boys, but it still bothers me. and, i didn't love that he went laterally in-conference and took shots at us on the recruiting trail on his way out. all part of the same nagging concern i have abut character. ... not going to lie.

now, the big BUT-- you were right about gb being in the mix, apparently (at least for the interim gig, had it become necessary). if jl turns out to be the guy, i will support him 100%.

i like his fire and toughness a lot. i agree he would emphasize ol/dl. and, as you know well, all, and i mean, all, of our best teams have been super-physical and been able to control things upfront. i am super-intrigued by the idea of a really physical offensive line, coupled with the tenets of the go-fast offense we run now. i think it could seriously break down opponents, especially at folsom. if you look at stanford, they win because they are tough, disciplined, and smart. but, because of their academic requirements, they don't get as many blue-chips as some of the others in conference but their system works against all the grass-basketball teams in the league. if you look at utah, they have a lot of built-in disadvantages, but they punch above their weight because they are physical upfront, against a conference of teams that usually doesn't face this type of team.

things that concern me some:

the stuff that forced him out in his last hc job has never been fully resolved. and, it bothers me. and, he's never been completely open about what happened. and, that plays into some of my other concerns. he allegedly was taking shots at mm while he worked for mm in an effort to put himself in position for the hc job if mm had been fired. that's also not completely upstanding. i get it; these aren't choir boys, but it still bothers me. and, i didn't love that he went laterally in-conference and took shots at us on the recruiting trail on his way out. all part of the same nagging concern i have abut character. ... not going to lie.

now, the big BUT-- you were right about gb being in the mix, apparently (at least for the interim gig, had it become necessary). if jl turns out to be the guy, i will support him 100%.

I 100% agree with everything that you say. Re: your concerns about JL, one can interpret them many different ways. I choose to interpret them as being symptoms of an ultra competitive guy. I would assume that he has learned from a few of his mistakes, and admit that the guy isn't perfect. But overall, I personally could live with a guy that has some bravado, and demands a certain brand of physical football. It all might end up being a mistake, but to all the concerns listed by you and others, I defer to RG since he already knows JL and and has an opinion (good or bad) as to how he thinks he'd operate here within all of the areas of concern.

:rollseyes:
giphy.gif

I would be more disappointed in RG making a Leavitt hire than I would him being here. I feel like there are better options out there than Leavitt.

Being CU and Boulder in general, I think the hiring process is going to make a Supreme Court vetting process seem like a walk in the park. Although I'm fully prepared for this, my biggest disappointment will be we don't have a coach in place until Spring 19. Just going by past history of slow hiring (ex. Eliot), I see a wasted year in recruiting and signings. Hope we don't make Tennessee's mess look good.

Being CU and Boulder in general, I think the hiring process is going to make a Supreme Court vetting process seem like a walk in the park. Although I'm fully prepared for this, my biggest disappointment will be we don't have a coach in place until Spring 19. Just going by past history of slow hiring (ex. Eliot), I see a wasted year in recruiting and signings. Hope we don't make Tennessee's mess look good.
MM was to blame on all the slow hires

Looking at his record I see him as equal to GB in terms of results. He will 7-8 most years occasionally contend for something, GB ‘01 and JL ‘07, will bottom out occasionally with 4-6 wins, GB ‘03 and JL ‘04 & ‘05. They will pull a few big wins out, lose some head scratchers and win most of the games they’re supposed to. JL won’t get us a NY6 bowl, but we’ll usually be bowling. Is this what we’ll settle for?

I think with a stud OC he could possibly break thru, he will be cheap enough (3 mil range) to spend on coordinators and staff , but again is that the route we want?

I’m seeing a trend that any of these old, big name retreads could be extremely successful if they hire great coordinators and recruit well.

Just an observation. (So which one brings the best coordinators?)

there are positives...

... and there are some big negatives.

i would expect he'd be on a shortlist of candidates.

My guess is it's like 1 of 3 possibilities
  • #1 or #2 on the list based on his contacts and cred with RG
  • Hes absent from the list which might tell us what RG thought of him.
  • JL gets a courtesy mention even though were not serious because RG liked him and or RG wants to force Oregon to pay more because they are whores.

Similar to LM in a way-The offensive coordinator hire would be key here. Leavitt is still fairly highly thought of here (look at the post earlier in this thread on that subject)....there'd be pretty low attrition (I think a fair amount of our roster still would have some level of familiarity with him)....and RG clearly likes him. I thought had MM left for Ole Miss last year RG would have probably brought him back. I think if RG can fire MM on his own he's got the latitude to make this move if he sees fit to do it. I'd love JL here as HC if that's who RG wanted to go with. I don't care about whatever acrimony he caused in December of 2016 because he took Clark or a couple recruits with him.

I would be okay with a JL return as long as we are not hiring from the G5 ranks.

I'm not worried about age at this point. I think JL and Les Mile are capable of coaching into their 70's. Offensive coordinator is going to be key in this case and I'm sure RG would already know who either coach would hire as the OC.

This is the absolute best hire the buffs could make, for all of the reasons stated. Not to mention he is a great recruiter. Hopefully Leavitt is the guy Rick goes after

i talked to a big donor (by cu standards) atthe game yesterday...he seems to think its going to be leavitt...rg brought him in once and he is bringing him back...we will see

Something about him bothers me, he just doesn't seem very... stable. If I pick up on that, I imagine recruits and their parents will as well.

Back