What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How much will the Defense miss the 8 NFL starters?

The Alabaster Yak

Club Member
Club Member

Chido, Spoon, TT, and... Gilbert and Olugbode? Having Oliver, Moeller, Fisher and Laguda return is huge and will make for a very seamless transition in the Secondary, IMO. If the hype around Drew Lewis is real, I think he'll be better than Olugbode, and then getting one of the best players back in McCartney is huge. Can't stress enough how huge it is for this defense to have a Charmin soft OOC schedule to gel and work out some kinks before UW.

Chido, Spoon, TT, and... Gilbert and Olugbode? Having Oliver, Moeller, Fisher and Laguda return is huge and will make for a very seamless transition in the Secondary, IMO. If the hype around Drew Lewis is real, I think he'll be better than Olugbode, and then getting one of the best players back in McCartney is huge. Can't stress enough how huge it is for this defense to have a Charmin soft OOC schedule to gel and work out some kinks before UW.
There is no way the transition of losing 8 NFL players will be seamless.

Broken record: it all depends on how the DL plays. Stop the run and provide a halfway decent pass rush and we will be fine. Anything short of that and we will have issues.

There is no way the transition of losing 8 NFL players will be seamless.
I made sure I was clear on this one, by saying "in the Secondary". Maybe "seamless" wasn't the best choice of words, but I think Oliver is better than Spoon, and Laguda can be every bit as good as TT. Replacing Chido is going to be tough, but Fisher is a stud and can play multiple positions in the Secondary, and Moeller is a really good 5th year Senior. I know it's in vogue to think our defense will suck, but there are plenty of reasons to believe that won't be the case.

I made sure I was clear on this one, by saying "in the Secondary". Maybe "seamless" wasn't the best choice of words, but I think Oliver is better than Spoon, and Laguda can be every bit as good as TT. Replacing Chido is going to be tough, but Fisher is a stud and can play multiple positions in the Secondary, and Moeller is a really good 5th year Senior. I know it's in vogue to think our defense will suck, but there are plenty of reasons to believe that won't be the case.
There is no way the transition in the secondary will be seamless after losing 3 multi-year starters to the NFL, including a unique talent like Chido. Even accepting the questionable statement that Laguda can be every bit as good as TT, assuming Laguda will be as good is a long leap on its own. Fisher may be a stud, we don't know. Assuming he will be after one good half (the first half was... not so good) is another big leap. Moeller is solid, but not a star. Exactly the kind of guy who does well when there is a lot of talent around him. That talent is largely gone.

I'm not saying they will be terrible, but there is no way they will be just as good or that the transition will be seamless. Plus, they will probably, almost certainly, have more work to do since the front 7 lost a lot as well and QBs will have more time to make throws.

That said, if you meant "the secondary/defense won't suck" instead of what you said, we agree. There are enough pieces there to be hopeful we are not returning to awful or bad.

Laguda is not as good as Tedric.

I'm allowing for the possibility that my man crush on TT could be impacting my judgement.
Tedric was ****ing good. A real good football player. Laguda is a great athlete until proven otherwise. There is a difference.

There is no way the transition in the secondary will be seamless after losing 3 multi-year starters to the NFL, including a unique talent like Chido. Even accepting the questionable statement that Laguda can be every bit as good as TT, assuming Laguda will be as good is a long leap on its own. Fisher may be a stud, we don't know. Assuming he will be after one good half (the first half was... not so good) is another big leap. Moeller is solid, but not a star. Exactly the kind of guy who does well when there is a lot of talent around him. That talent is largely gone.

I'm not saying they will be terrible, but there is no way they will be just as good or that the transition will be seamless. Plus, they will probably, almost certainly, have more work to do since the front 7 lost a lot as well and QBs will have more time to make throws.

That said, if you meant "the secondary/defense won't suck" instead of what you said, we agree. There are enough pieces there to be hopeful we are not returning to awful or bad.
I can live with this. Seamless probably wasn't the best choice of words, but I still think our Secondary is going to be really good.

I can live with this. Seamless probably wasn't the best choice of words, but I still think our Secondary is going to be really good.
potential is there for them to be solid to good by the end of the season. There are big unknowns with Laguda and Fisher, along with the young CBs. Someone needs to be solid in the middle of the field, and that is where our biggest weakness will be imo. And it is a weakness until otherwise proven.

I think our DB's will actually be better overall in run support (as good as Spoon is in coverage, he was atrocious at run support and open field tackling)

Safeties will probably take a small step back, especially in the turnover department.

Really comes down to DL.

There will be break downs no doubt, more of them anyway. I could be wrong but I'm thinking our best defense might be our offense this year. As long as the D can be solid, cause some turnovers, etc, they'll be fine. Hopefully we'll see that.

Tedric was ****ing good. A real good football player. Laguda is a great athlete until proven otherwise. There is a difference.
I remember the sentiment about Ross, Bobo, Lindsay, the OL, DL, LBs, Oliver, Spoon and the entire team in general was below average to mediocre, until proven otherwise, at this time last year. This whole, "I'm in wait and see mode" or "...until proven otherwise" mindset when making predictions is so boring. Get ****ing hyped and have some ****ing confidence.

I remember the sentiment about Ross, Bobo, Lindsay, the OL, DL, LBs, Oliver, Spoon and the entire team in general was below average to mediocre, until proven otherwise, at this time last year. This whole, "I'm in wait and see mode" or "...until proven otherwise" mindset when making predictions is so boring. Get ****ing hyped and have some ****ing confidence.
I can be excited about the season without assuming every question will come back positive.

All comes down to the DL, imo. If that comes together, this will be an excellent defense. The back 8 is faster than last year, but will they be kept clean so they can run and make plays?

It would be nice if a pass rusher surfaces. I don't give a damn if it's a freshman. Get the qb off his spot or uncomfortable, he'll throw you the ball. Who that's gonna be, no idea? Maybe they get it by a bunch of blitz packages.

All comes down to the DL, imo. If that comes together, this will be an excellent defense. The back 8 is faster than last year, but will they be kept clean so they can run and make plays?
They have to keep those guys clean, let them flow. Good point.

We stayed pretty healthy last season, which coincided with improved athleticism and a bonafide strength an conditioning program. We need a similarly low rate of injuries on defense this season, as we are thin to paper thin at almost every position.

If our D drops as far as some are predicting, then we will be in a lot of shoot outs this year, I dont see our offense as a ball control style O. They will score quick, big breakaway plays.

If our D drops as far as some are predicting, then we will be in a lot of shoot outs this year, I dont see our offense as a ball control style O. They will score quick, big breakaway plays.
Not necessarily. Last year, Utahs defense ranked #48 in the country. I'd take that defense with the offense we should have this year. That combo will win a lot of football games.

Evan White/Worthington was pushing TT as a Frosh..Filled in for him when he was injured....and played pretty well. He is a bigger hitter than TT.....two inches taller...10 pounds heavier...and as fast if not faster (4.5 vs. 4.6)....White was battling Moeller for a starting job as a Soph.... Biggest loss IMHO is Awuzie.... But you have Moeller and White who were vying for starting jobs TWO years ago plus Laguda who started quite a bit last year...who is a year wiser, stronger, bigger... Pass rush is the key....if we get no pass rush....don't care who you have back there... Will be interesting.

Back