What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How was Hirschman not our opening day starter?

The same reason Thomas gets the ball once a game...Jon DThree and Eric Blowenemy cannot see talent.

I'm not sure you want to be bringing up Gerald Thomas right now after the disaster of a game he played today.:wink2:

I was thinking about this too. I think if Hirschman had been getting first team reps all season, we would have won this game.

Utah was horrendous today. AWFUL. Atrocious. They tried over and over again to give us the game.

I thought Hirschman showed leadership. He would run over a tackler, and get in his face. He'd get a first down and give a big fist pump. But he made young QB mistakes. Dumb decisions and turnovers.

But that was the absolute best our Offense has looked all year. Moving the ball up and down the field (in relative CU terms). Sac State, Arizona, and this game were the only 3 games thie year where I thought we could actually score when the offense came on the field. That's got to mean something right?

Embree falls into that group of coaches who despite all the evidence to the contrary think that coaching trumps talent. They think that as long as they put the players on the field who best follow their directions they will win.

We have seen this fail drastically in two regards this year. First talent trumps coaching. Does anyone think that Bama won the NC last year or any of the other recent NCs won because they were better coached than everyone else? They were well coached but won due to having better talent on the field, bigger, fast, stronger, more skilled players who could make plays. Do you risk some mistakes by playing the most talented guys? Certainly but if you trade one mistake for multiple big plays you usually come out ahead.

Secondly our coaching wasn't going to beat anyone elses coaching anyways. Head to head our coaches got beat on a weekly basis, the players could have followed instructions exactly and we still would have been horrible. The one game we won wasn't won on coaching, it was won by some big plays forced by what talent we did put on the field. WSU sucked up and let Kasa get behind them and he outran the defense to the endzone, a play made on talent not coaching. Same thing on the little screen pass to ToJo that turned into a long TD. A couple of WSU guys made mistakes or misjudged his speed and he did what he can do best, fly down the field in a mostly straight line.

My problem with starting Webb all year is not only that he couldn't make the plays but he also didn't allow for the development of the guys who at least had the physical talent to make some plays. Hirsch isn't that good, I still like Wood better. That said Hirsch is more talented by a long shot than Webb. Had Hirsch had the majority of practice and game reps instead of Webb he may still be mistake prone but think about the idea that even a couple less mistakes today and this game would have been a Buff win. I think it is fair to say that you should expect him to have been somewhat better had he not been neglected in favor of Webb most of the year. He didn't have to be great, just good enough to maybe win us some games.

Yeah. It was a tough call for the coaches on this one. Hirsch and Wood show flashes but can't read a defense. Webb can read a defense and doesn't make many mistakes, but is incabable of making a play to help us win.

I still would have gone with Hirsch (or Wood) and seen if the player developed over the course of the season. Webb was obviously not going to take us anywhere.

Sorry, I still think Webb is better than Hirsch. The problem is that we need a better QB on the roster than Webb and Hirsch..

Did nobody see what i saw? He literally locked on to his #1 option and: 1) somehow the guy was open for a good catch; 2) he forced it and threw an interception; or 3) he'd panic and take a ridiculous sack (especially that 10 yard sack following the muffed punt, took us out of fg range!). Literally pulling my hair out. The Utah defense just had to follow Nick's eyes. Not one time did he look off the defenders.

Did nobody see what i saw? He literally locked on to his #1 option and: 1) somehow the guy was open for a good catch; 2) he forced it and threw an interception; or 3) he'd panic and take a ridiculous sack (especially that 10 yard sack following the muffed punt, took us out of fg range!). Literally pulling my hair out. The Utah defense just had to follow Nick's eyes. Not one time did he look off the defenders.

I agree.

I also saw more accuracy than with the other QBs, a beautiful deep ball, and enough arm strength to make the slant and out throws.

The problems are things you have to see if you can correct by giving him more snaps. Even if there was a rationale to start Webb in the opener to hopefully manage games to a couple wins against a soft early schedule, this season quickly became about developing potential. Hirschman actually showed tools.

3-4 drops and another catch called OOB that should not have been an issue.
Yes my son gerald thomas had a few drops today but he is not the only one who have dropped the ball during this season some of the best drop balls it part of the game and you learn from them my boy was very upset with himself and he felt he let his team down but he will be working hard this offseason to make up for that disappointing perfoformance...........

I also saw more accuracy than with the other QBs, a beautiful deep ball, and enough arm strength to make the slant and out throws.

The problems are things you have to see if you can correct by giving him more snaps. Even if there was a rationale to start Webb in the opener to hopefully manage games to a couple wins against a soft early schedule, this season quickly became about developing potential. Hirschman actually showed tools.

This. Hirschman is not going to ever lead us to the promise land but he would be much more further along if we would have benched Webb earlier. Some guys pick it up more quickly but with more game action would help Hirschman learn to get thru his progressions faster. He throws a ball with more touch and has more arm strength than Webb. Webb gets through the progressions but throw a horrible ball and eventually I think he became tentative.

At this point it is ifs and buts. Only another indictment of the coaching staff.

Yes my son gerald thomas had a few drops today but he is not the only one who have dropped the ball during this season some of the best drop balls it part of the game and you learn from them my boy was very upset with himself and he felt he let his team down but he will be working hard this offseason to make up for that disappointing perfoformance...........

Tough days happen to everyone, especially true at CU during the 2012 season. I was actually shocked the coaches tried to get him the ball more today. I think your son has a ton of potential, hope there are better days ahead.

He'll come back stronger from going through this. I've had the feeling all season that Gerald knows that the offense is short on playmakers and it has caused him to press a bit instead of relaxing and letting the game come to him. We all see the talent and the desire. He's going to do big things over the next few years. Please tell him that we believe in him, care about him, and are enraged that a "fan" did that after the game.

Tough days happen to everyone, especially true at CU during the 2012 season. I was actually shocked the coaches tried to get him the ball more today. I think your son has a ton of potential, hope there are better days ahead.

Agree and Gerald has better days ahead. I cannot wait to see him out there with a better QB in the backfield.

This Dallas area Buff is glad to see The Colony's finest on the field in Folsom. Gerald will learn from this game and come back even better in 2013.

Thanks Duff ......will do Nik......he knows he had a bad game as far as that fan F him ! He is stil a kid and have to grow and develope.

One area for excitement is having both Thomas', Prich and Spruce out there next year.

You can work on routes and catching the athleticism and speed that Gerald has can't be taught

I don't know, Nik. I have not seen him complete a pass to anyone that wasn't his first look. No progression at all and he does not stand in the pocket. Glad he is a Buff but I am not seeing a lot here.

the look problem might be solved with more playing time. Our offense moved the ball this week for a change.

Hirsch obviously threw some risky balls, and made some poor decision, but the offense looks much, much better when he's leading it.

You gotta play to improve those skills.

If he had been starting since game four or so he would have a rhythm and could have posted a great game. Utah is almost as terrible as we are. Best passes I've seen all season came today

I agree. Best qb of the season. He should have started more games. As bad as we were we would have been better with Hirsch if our coaches were smarter about this from the beginning.

Last edited:
Back