What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How will Dom's freshman year compare?

Dom's CU Freshman Comparable

• Billups

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Roby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Burks

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Higgins

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Dinwiddie

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Humphries

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • None of these work... he'll be better

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • None of these work... he'll be a bench guy

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
No doubt that Dom is going to be a major impact freshman.

But who is the comparable player?

Freshman SeasonPointsAssistsReboundsSteals
Chauncey Billups17.95.56.31.6
Richard Roby16.01.94.81.6
Alec Burks17.11.85.01.2
Cory Higgins8.32.34.31.1
Spencer Dinwiddie10.01.83.61.8
Jay Humphries6.43.52.11.5

Something to keep in mind is that stats don't necessarily reflect talent. CB was the best, but he also had to put a poor team on his back. Meanwhile, Spencer was asked to learn from a lot of vets and was eased into his leadership role while Carlon was the "go to" guy that year.

Also, Dom is more the size of Humphries in the 6'2"-6'3" range while the other guys on this list are more in the 6'5"-6'6" range. But will Dom's freshman role be like Humphries as an old school point guard or will he be called upon to score more than that?

Most of the guys on that list came into teams that had gaping holes and very limited talent. Dom will be coming into a team that without him would be a favorite to compete for a top 4 spot in the PAC.

If Dom makes a major contribution it will be because he is playing excellent ball and earns the floor time, not because we have nobody else to put out there.

His numbers will also be impacted by the fact that more established players will already be the focus of the offensive production. Jelly, Ski, and XJ will be the primary scorers at the outset, other talented returning players will get their opportunities as well.

A lot will be determined by how well Dom does the things that don't show up in the stats, how does he defend, does he move the ball, move without the ball, fit into what Tad is trying to do.

I think Sir Tad has a lot of options at guard, so 8 ppg, 3-4 apg, and 2 steals would be very good at this point, particularly if he is efficient in running the offense when he does see the court.

I would also be pretty shocked if he was putting up big numbers. There are lot of guards on the roster, and the college game is so much faster than what he was playing so I'm guessing it will take some time for him to adjust.

I think he will be complimentary for the most part. Maybe 6-8 PTS, 2-3 assists while he gets his legs. OTOH, sometimes Freshmen just come in and blow up, so he might surprise us in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you look at most of the 2013 PG recruits ranked around his range, most struggled last season, especially shooting the ball. I think defensively he'll make an impact but imagine that he will struggle quite a bit offensively

I went with a Mayor type freshman year. He will need to contribute and I think he will nicely. But as already mentioned when you look at the roster we have some quality players with another years experience in season play and the big dance and I don't think there will be a need for him to put up the kind of numbers Billups did. We have several guys that can score and they should all improve this season.

This is a really unfair list for a guy to be compared against... Talk about expectation inflation! Comparing Dom to five of the best players to ever wear the CU uniform on the hardwood!

That said, I think he makes his own category, but is most similar to Humphries..

Points just a bit below Spencer's (8-10 ppg), assists around or just below Humphries (2.5-3), rebounds around humphries (2), steals between Higgins and Humphries (1-1.5)

That still puts him in all time discussion. ****. I'm no better than any of you!

Back