What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How will the Buffs do in the Draft?

Isn't the draft draught an indictment on the Embree recruiting?

End of Hawkins era at this point + Embree. Last year were the 5th year seniors from DH's last class plus the 4th year guys from the DH/JE transition class. This year was the 5th year seniors from the transition class (which really didn't have DH guys since they stopped recruiting in September) and 4th years from the class that was all JE.

Next year will be the JE 5th years from his one full class along with the 4th years from the JE/MM transition class.

Some 6th year guys due to grayshirting and medical hardship waivers pushing guys out an extra year modify this a bit, but it's pretty much how to look at it.

Isn't the draft draught an indictment on the Embree recruiting?
Yes! Irwin brothers and Tupou have very slight chance to break drought but anyone other than those two committed to Embree staff have not made NFL. For all the dumpster fire talk he added to it.

MacIntyre has legit shot with his two DB commits in short window with TT and Awuzie. Past that we don't know yet.

How is it that anybody thinks CU can make bowl games if there isn't any NFL talent on the roster year-after-year?

Actually it is a couple of factors first lack of talent from the previous staffs and lack of player development from the current staff. Any wonder this team isn't winning?

Actually it is a couple of factors first lack of talent from the previous staffs and lack of player development from the current staff. Any wonder this team isn't winning?

I sort of agree with Duff that NFL players aren't really "developed". Good teams are developed and players can be developed certainly. And don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting the tide has turned with HCMM. Awuzie, TT (and Gillam without injuries and with some weight gain) showed enough. But I haven't seen much progression since that first class.

Even the current excitement (which is well deserved) I must take cautiously. We've been excited before (2007 and even a bunch of Embree guys such as Yuri Wright, Shane Dillon, et. al... had excitement pumping around here).... I think it's different now, but we will have to see.

I sort of agree with Duff that NFL players aren't really "developed". Good teams are developed and players can be developed certainly. And don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting the tide has turned with HCMM. Awuzie, TT (and Gillam without injuries and with some weight gain) showed enough. But I haven't seen much progression since that first class.

Even the current excitement (which is well deserved) I must take cautiously. We've been excited before (2007 and even a bunch of Embree guys such as Yuri Wright, Shane Dillon, et. al... had excitement pumping around here).... I think it's different now, but we will have to see.

I think you hit on the key distinction here. A good coach is able to get talent all rowing in the same direction and to get them motivated toward a common goal.

But realistically, outside of a few players here or there, I do not believe even the best coaches somehow have all these secrets to making players great if the talent is not apparent from the start.

Woelk had a good point. Pro sports are all about "measurables" these days. So, in late rounds teams are going to reach for under the radar guys with great measurables. I think Spruce was one of those "cusp" guys who has great intangibles but average or worse measurables. Woelk thinks his special teams ability gives him a great shot at making the Rams.

He also thinks Crawley has a good shot with the Saints. NO didn't draft any DB's. That gives him a good chance.

That's fine.

This whole discussion mostly misses the mark anyway IMO. Even the best coaching staffs do not really "develop" talent, they tend to just not screw it up. Certainly exceptions, but I think people tend to overrate "development" (whatever that may be).

Never thought of it that way, but seems spot on, particularly with the MM era. CU hired a competent DC and in one season the defensive players made progress that would be expected with an additional year of experience.

On the other side of the ball the OL keeps getting another season of experience and no noticeable improvement either individually or as a unit.

Every season -fill in the blank- is primed for a breakout season at WR. Doesn't happen. Fortunately Spruce may have been tamper-proof.

We have a QB that got no better in three seasons.

Maybe Bernardi and Lindgren's reduced roles will stall the "screw it up" process on offense. Hope its not too late.

All this means is that whether you get drafted or not is not correlated to where you choose to go to college (Ducks have ~20 players from Oregon on their roster, are extremely successful, and Oregon high schoolers still don't draft well). So forget Goff's achievements! Come to picturesque Boulder for your last year as a student, come on Webb!!!

Seems as though the Buffs should have been drafted. KC practicing some with the 1s and Spruce getting a ton of pub as one of the top rookie FAs.

Back