What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hypothetical Coaching Carousel

Thoughts on Miles or Rodriguez for CU?

• I'd have happiness with either

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • I'd have upsetness with either

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I'd have happiness with Miles, but upsetness with Rodriguez

Votes: 46 63.0%
  • I'd have happiness with Rodriguez, but upsetness with Miles

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I'm too busy "Stirring the Metamucil" to think about this

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I want Dave Logan! (Woody Paige option)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Here's a hypothetical that may have some legs to it:

Suppose that CU is looking for a new Head Coach at the end of the 2010 season.

It's possible that our situation could be determined by what happens at Michigan and at LSU.

If Rich Rodriguez doesn't win this year, he's going to get fired. His seat is probably hotter than Hawkins'.

If Les Miles falls to 4th or lower in the SEC West this year, it may also be then end of the line for him in Baton Rouge.

Even if Miles isn't fired, there's a good chance he would take the Michigan job if it opened up.

But if Rich Rod survives and Miles is fired, there's a good chance that Coach Mac would push hard for him to get the CU job.

Likewise, if Rich Rod is fired he is going to be looking for work and he's going to need to build his reputation back at a BCS program. CU might just be the perfect opportunity for him and he would likely draw a lot of interest from those in charge of the CU hiring process.

I think there's a good chance that 1 or both will be available and that CU will have interest.

What are your thoughts on Miles and Rodriguez as fits for CU?

RichRod=Does Not Want. I wouldn't be opposed to Miles though. I'm just not sure we could pay him the money he would want/demand.

I'm sure Tony Clemmons would be thrilled with Rich Rod... not.

Miles, Yes. I think it would be terrific. He's from the Mac coaching tree, he has connections here, he's a recognized name, he's won at a major BCS school, all of it. He'd be wonderful. Rodriguez - forget it. I freaking hate the spread anyway.

First of all, I think Harbaugh will be the next Michigan coach, not Miles.

I would welcome Miles, hell no on Rich Rod.

How about Mac gets really involved in the program again and serves as a mentor/assistant coach type deal with Miles as HC. Embree is OC and EB the runningbacks coach.

How about Mac gets really involved in the program again and serves as a mentor/assistant coach type deal with Miles as HC. Embree is OC and EB the runningbacks coach.

Sounds like the perfect scenario to me.

Do you tink EB would go from runningbacks coach of a NFL team to Runningbacks coach to a college team?

not a huge fan of Les. DickRod, no way. if this was 4 years ago, maybe.....but he's underwhelmed at UM.

i don't get the love affair with Miles. he coached here for 1 year or 2, not like he's a big Buff. his Okie State teams featured some very bad actors, criminal types. that ain't gonna fly in Boulder. first thing Gundy did was clean house.

I added a new option to the poll in case woody paige is a reader.

RickRod no, No , NO x 100.

The Hat? I'd be OK with it but I am not all that impressed with him. He'd be about a million times better than the Juicebox.

Would be pretty cool, but I don't think there's nearly enough money or power to go around for that group to get along together.

I wouldn't mind Miles, though part of me thinks he's just Hawkins with much better talent. His coaching gaffes are legendary.

Rich Rodriguez is a problem waiting to happen. Never!

That said, if the Michigan job does open up, it'll go to Harbaugh unless he has a terrible year at Stanford.

I wouldn't mind Miles, though part of me thinks he's just Hawkins with much better talent. His coaching gaffes are legendary.

Rich Rodriguez is a problem waiting to happen. Never!

That said, if the Michigan job does open up, it'll go to Harbaugh unless he has a terrible year at Stanford.

which hopefully would help us out immensely in recruiting.

RichRod has too much baggage. Let him stay East. Miles would be OK, I guess. Still think our best bet is an OC/DC from an established BCS program.

Les Miles nuttiness sure would be great allbuffs talk. I like Les, but I do think he's a bit nutty as a coach but I admit it would bring some passion to the program and he would get some talent in here.

Just don't know if Les is on the hot seat like people are speculating. LSU has never been one like Auburn, Alabama or UF to fire a coach after a few bad years. Im sure they are kind of upset and Saban at bama has them uneasy but I don't really know if the AD or the administration considers Les to be on a true hot seat. The guy also is recruiting very well so its obvious recruits don't think he's going anywhere.

:thumbsup:
RichRod=Does Not Want. I wouldn't be opposed to Miles though. I'm just not sure we could pay him the money he would want/demand.

This is it! If RichRod can't win at Michigan with all of the cache and juice of the Michigan, awesome facilities, and general statewide/school backing of the team, then there is no way in hell he can get it done here. Our facilities don't come close, we have no recruits right now and a state media and local community that likes nothing more to bitch and moan about the football team. His rep is already damaged so getting new recruits would be tough. I would be Okay with Miles... not thrilled but like GoldenBuff said, I don't think we can pay him what we need to get him and I think there are a few other programs out there that probably could.

Miles seat is even a bit hotter than I had thought. From today's ESPN Rumors, I'm getting the impression that LSU better be at least as good as its 9-4 2009 season:

While doing his best to express support for somewhat embattled coach Les Miles, athletic director Joe Alleva still managed to sound a somewhat ominous note about Miles' future, telling Randy Rosetta of the Baton Rouge Advocate: "This is a big year coming up for Les and the football program."

Alleva went on the say that he has not issued any sort of ultimatum to Miles: "You can't do that. You have to see how things play out. You have to look at injures and a lot of other things and then you have to go through and evaluate a season. You have to be fair and make decisions based on what happens game-by-game and then review the season-long performance."

To that end, Alleva says that the 2009 season (with two of the team's four losses coming to Alabama and Florida) "was an improvement" over 2008 -- though many fans might beg to differ. Will a similar season this fall be enough to save Miles' job?

"I think Les is a wonderful person, a marvelous recruiter; he has the respect of the players, and he's put together a really good coaching staff," Alleva said. "He's done a good job, and he realizes his job is to win. We've had conversations, and he understands that we're always striving for championships. We aren't going to win them every year, but we have to make sure we're in the hunt every season."

You'll notice that nowhere in that statement did Alleva compliment Miles' coaching abilities.

I'm sure Tony Clemmons would be thrilled with Rich Rod... not.

Miles, Yes. I think it would be terrific. He's from the Mac coaching tree, he has connections here, he's a recognized name, he's won at a major BCS school, all of it. He'd be wonderful. Rodriguez - forget it. I freaking hate the spread anyway.
He's currently making over $3 million a year. He's a good coach, but CU could never afford him. He will win 9 games, not enough for some Tiger fans, but they would be crazy to fire him. I don't see it happening.
gulf_spill..jpg
One third of the Gulf of Mexico is now closed to fishing.

Last edited:
He's currently making over $3 million a year. He's a good coach, but CU could never afford him. He will win 9 games, not enough for some Tiger fans, but they would be crazy to fire him. I don't see it happening.
View attachment 5001
One third of the Gulf of Mexico is now closed to fishing.

Miles would come here and CU will be able to afford him

Miles would come here and CU will be able to afford him

says the guy who thinks an NFL running backs coach would take a 50% pay cut and demotion to college running backs coach. I like all the team spirit and love for tradition, but why all the love for past buffs with little coaching experience. Why don't we just make Chris Fowler the HC, he was a buff and talks to corso and herbstreit regularly. I don't care who we get as long as it isn't hawkins and as long as the guy has a history of winning at a major program (OC, DC, or HC). Winners win, welcome the big competition, and talk about recent/future championships...losers hang their hat on past successes that are irrelevent to the present.

Again, we need to be wary of falling into the trap of hiring somebody just because he's better than Hawkins. Being a better coach than Hawkins isn't any great accomplishment.

Miles would not be a good hire. He won at LSU with Saban's guys, and his national title year was based on winning multiple games off absolutely insane gambles. He is a below average gameday coach. People will argue sure but he's a great recruiter... well news flash, Louisiana produces more per capita 4 and 5 stars than any other state, and LSU has a chokehold on recruiting Houston. LSU is one of the 5 to 10 most talented squads in the nation year in and year out, but yet they can't get past 8 and 9 wins (and that was with some very questionable officiating that helped them this past year against Georgia and Arkansas). I'd put Miles in the lower half of SEC coaches. If CU wants to pay an exorbitant amount for a very average coach that has won only because he was handed one of the top 10 jobs in the nation then so be it, but the guy won't be the one to take CU back to greatness.

Funny Les.

[video=youtube;bNm67CoMHM4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNm67CoMHM4&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;TDKVvILygXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDKVvILygXY&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;bNSHQYx1yxo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNSHQYx1yxo&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;r3R4IrVjJLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3R4IrVjJLQ&feature=related[/video]

Back