What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I agreed with the fake punt on 4th down

Your thinking too hard. I threw out the "care bear" nickname as pushback for the "Head Coach Mike Macintyre" references because it seems like some pathetic SEC college FB coach worship.

The jury is still out on Macintyre - one good season at SJSt doesn't make him a proven program builder a la Jim Harbaugh. Like I said, there have been some encouraging signs but I'm not ready anoint him yet. I'm not crazy about touchy-feely football coaches and some of his calls have been questionable. If he called the fake punt then I'm worried because I've seen it before...
I'm with you on the SEC crap. Thanks!

The biggest problem with the calls today was timing and play calls leading up to the 4th down plays. For example on the 4 yard line in 3rd quarter. HCCM eleacted to go for it on 4th down when they were down 14..... Great I am ok with it. What I am not ok with is if you know you are gonna go for it on 4th why on earth are we calling fades on 3rd down? If you know you are going for it you call a run on 3rd down or screen or something that at minimum gets you half the way there. It opens up the playbook a hell of a lot more than 4th and 4-5 with no threat of a run or QB sneak. Also on fake punt fine call a fake but why the hell did you run to short field? Why not call a fake earlier in 3rd when we were punting from the 40-50 instead of from the ****in 19. I am ok with fakes and going on 4th but for gods sake you gotta play downs 1-3 totally different if you are goin! And pick your spot for a fake.

Your thinking too hard. I threw out the "care bear" nickname as pushback for the "Head Coach Mike Macintyre" references because it seems like some pathetic SEC college FB coach worship.

The jury is still out on Macintyre - one good season at SJSt doesn't make him a proven program builder a la Jim Harbaugh. Like I said, there have been some encouraging signs but I'm not ready anoint him yet. I'm not crazy about touchy-feely football coaches and some of his calls have been questionable. If he called the fake punt then I'm worried because I've seen it before...
HaLk was coach care bear, try to keep up...that moniker is probably6 years old now.

I personally loved the call. I was freezing my balls off and as soon as that happened I knew I could go.

HaLk was coach care bear, try to keep up...that moniker is probably6 years old now.

I was referencing some video (CSU game?) where MacIntyre is wearing a wrist band that said "Care" and pointed to it while addressing the team saying "Care guys, Care".

Unlike some, I'm still in evaluation mode and that was the first time I said "uh-oh, I'm not feeling that.." and the 2nd was the damn fake punt.

I don't actually want "Coach Care Bear" to catch on - I'm just venting. The fact that reference reminds you of Hawkins is a scary thought...

Also, I appreciate shorthand, but HCMM is definitely SEC douche-bag vernacular. DBT has a point - Mac is easier to type.

I was referencing some video (CSU game?) where MacIntyre is wearing a wrist band that said "Care" and pointed to it while addressing the team saying "Care guys, Care".

Unlike some, I'm still in evaluation mode and that was the first time I said "uh-oh, I'm not feeling that.." and the 2nd was the damn fake punt.

I don't actually want "Coach Care Bear" to catch on - I'm just venting. The fact that reference reminds you of Hawkins is a scary thought...

Also, I appreciate shorthand, but HCMM is definitely SEC douche-bag vernacular. DBT has a point - Mac is easier to type.
Fair enough....

Like that Darragh is such a stand up guy. Accountability is hugely important in a winning culture. This is a positive sign.

Also like that HCMM took the heat instead of throwing a player under the bus.

We we just need more Jimmies & Joes. Coaching, play calling and players 'wanting it' and 'getting it' do not seem to be the issues right now. We're just outgunned.

Coaches are doing what they can. But we are bringing the proverbial knife to a gunfight in the PAC 12. And it is a butter knife. A plastic one at that. The good news? Last year we were fighting with a spork. If we can beat Cal I will be happy with the season. Sadly to say, losing by 24, but knowing they other team had to keep their starters in to beat us by that feels better (growth wise) than losing by 30 last year when the starters would be on the bench halfway through the second quarter. I see improvement. I wish it could be faster improvement. But....have to give MM time. JE apologists said he needed more time, but he proved he was NOT the right person for the job. So far I think MM is in the plus category and has shown that we can improve.

I think a huge thing we have to do is get a JC or HS huge talent WR in here ASAP. Sell them on 'You can be the new PRich for us. We need to play someone with huge talent right away.' Without that next year I am fearful of how bad we could be (unless we once again can get one or two huge OL guys and the rest of the OL guys get a whole lot bigger and better).

"Mac" is so over-used to refer to any coach whose name starts with that sound. We've also got so many threads about McCartney and the CSU guy who also go by "Mac". I mostly started using it for clarity. I do use "Mac2" sometimes. "Mac1" is the Hall of Famer. And the CSU guy is "Sparkles". But, frankly, I don't spend enough time on SEC boards or talking to SEC guys to have their vernacular resonate with me to cause any sort of reaction. So I usually use HCMM. I don't use the "HC" thing for anyone else, though. My favorite moniker is "HaLk".

I agree with the fake punt and I also agreed with going for it on fourth down on the goal line. 1st we have nothing else to really lose. 2nd I think the coach is giving the players an opportunity to prove themselves and get something done(that's not working out). 3rd In that situation at that point in the game down by 14, on their 1 yard line, we need touchdowns not field goals.

Was not big on the play calling on those four downs. Run up the middle 3 times then a roll out???

OUR OL is PATHETIC...should have been able to get a yard.

"Mac" is so over-used to refer to any coach whose name starts with that sound. We've also got so many threads about McCartney and the CSU guy who also go by "Mac". I mostly started using it for clarity. I do use "Mac2" sometimes. "Mac1" is the Hall of Famer. And the CSU guy is "Sparkles". But, frankly, I don't spend enough time on SEC boards or talking to SEC guys to have their vernacular resonate with me to cause any sort of reaction. So I usually use HCMM. I don't use the "HC" thing for anyone else, though. My favorite moniker is "HaLk".
I usually go with MikMac, but to each their own...I do remember some doozies for HaLk, DII Danny, Coach Care Bear, the pigeon...mocking his sorry bowl cut was very nearly an Olympic sport for a while. Klatt called him a Janet Reno look a like one day on the radio, I nearly caused an accident laughing.

Sorry, I don't really care what people use and am not trying to police it. I was just frustrated with MacIntyre and the HCMM thing just hit a nerve for some reason...

I don't think the kids were all that outmatched (e.g. Oregon) on Sat night. We actually did a halfway decent job on Carey (maybe at the expense of turning Denker in Mariota) and the Oline held up better than I anticipated. Down 14 (or 11) with an ton time I would have been content to play out the string like a normal team. We've been so thirsty for solid fundamental play from the kids and we're actually starting to get it. When MacII (haha) failed to deliver what I believe to be solid fundamental coaching I wanted to pull my hair out.

Back