What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am hearing grumblings...

ben kelly was our starting cb and returned kicks. so was chris hudson. i think it worked out ok in those cases...

I wasn't around when they were, but how was the talent behind them? After Polk the drop-off is too significant to risk injury, imo.

I wasn't around when they were, but how was the talent behind them? After Polk the drop-off is too significant to risk injury, imo.

you could have had a 40+ year old recovering entertainment lawyer as the backup and both would still have returned kicks.

the idea is to play your best athletes. ben kelly single-handedly won about 3 games for CU. had they been saving him for the defense, that never would have happened.

and, just so none of the real old-timers start yelling...

cliff branch was probably the greatest returner ever at CU and he was a starting split end too.

you play your athletes.

and a few more names (each was also a regular starter and most were arguably the most or one of the most athletic players on the team) who returned kicks/punts...

deon figures
walter stanley
byron white
terrence wheatley

Yes, but if your DB is also the KR then there will be leftover gold stars and juiceboxes. Less kids will feel wanted on the team. Can't have that.

Yes, but if your DB is also the KR then there will be leftover gold stars and juiceboxes. Less kids will feel wanted on the team. Can't have that.

and, just to hammer the ****ing point home, let's make a list...

here's my, off the top of my head, list of the best CU returners of all-time in no particular order:

cliff branch
ben kelly
deon figures
byron white
jeremy bloom
chris hudson
walter stanley
terrence wheatley

now then, where do espy and ebner fit on that list, athletically? those are big shoes to fill but at least polk looks like he's got the athleticism.

**** i get pissed at this ****. juiceboxes for everyone!

They should put Cody Hawkins back there, you know with his speed and athletic ability. Then he would not have to come off the sidelines to QB, and maybe we would not get a delay of game....just a thought...

First KR to throw an INT?

and, just to hammer the ****ing point home, let's make a list...

here's my, off the top of my head, list of the best CU returners of all-time in no particular order:

cliff branch
ben kelly
deon figures
byron white
jeremy bloom
chris hudson
walter stanley
terrence wheatley

now then, where do espy and ebner fit on that list, athletically? those are big shoes to fill but at least polk looks like he's got the athleticism.

**** i get pissed at this ****. juiceboxes for everyone!

roman hollowell?

you could have had a 40+ year old recovering entertainment lawyer as the backup and both would still have returned kicks.

the idea is to play your best athletes. ben kelly single-handedly won about 3 games for CU. had they been saving him for the defense, that never would have happened.

Ben Kelly wasn a slightly above average cover corner he got a ton of hype but the thing he was best at was returning kicks.

you don't want any starters returning kicks...EVAR.... no (S), (WR), (CB)....no....none of them! :smile:

eddie-royal.jpg

hester.jpg

sanders.gif

Didn't Hagan return punts one year? His senior year, I want to say.....

That i had totally spaced, I still stand by my comment that i dont like the starting safety returning kicks let alone the starting QB. Specific to this case I dont see Polk as a good option at all based on what else we have on the roster. Simmons is the perfect guy to trot out there, lots of experience returning kicks (polk has way less) and he isnt playing anyway so the injury risk goes out the window.

you don't want any starters returning kicks...EVAR.... no (S), (WR), (CB)....no....none of them! :smile:

Come on i never said that, and besides two of your examples are currently the #3 receiver for the Donks and perhaps the one of the least effective members of the bears defense who was drafted primarily for his game breaking KR ability. You got me on Deon though.

Come on i never said that, and besides two of your examples are currently the #3 receiver for the Donks and perhaps the one of the least effective members of the bears defense who was drafted primarily for his game breaking KR ability. You got me on Deon though.

Eddie Royal lost the starting job he's had since game 1 of his rookie season? When did that happen??

And I'm sure Devin Hester is probably one of the least effective members of the Bears defense because he's starting for them on offense. A guy can only do so much.... :lol:

That i had totally spaced, I still stand by my comment that i dont like the starting safety returning kicks let alone the starting QB. Specific to this case I dont see Polk as a good option at all based on what else we have on the roster. Simmons is the perfect guy to trot out there, lots of experience returning kicks (polk has way less) and he isnt playing anyway so the injury risk goes out the window.

In 2006, Ray Polk returned 8 kicks for Brophy Prep for 253 yards. His long was an 80 yard return.

In 2007, he returned 11 for 206 yards. His long was a 44 yard return.

19 returns, 459 yards

In 2008, Andre Simmons returned 16 kicks for 367 yards

In 2007, Andre had 1 kick return for 12 yards.

17 returns 379 yards

I didn't look up Simmons's high school stats, but I think we could go either way here. Better then Jaffee or Espinoza :lol:.

Eddie Royal lost the starting job he's had since game 1 of his rookie season? When did that happen??

And I'm sure Devin Hester is probably one of the least effective members of the Bears defense because he's starting for them on offense. A guy can only do so much.... :lol:

Eddie Royal has dropped from the #2 receiving option on the team to #3 this season, you dont field 3 safeties. Hester was drafted as a CB/KR and owing to his perceived home-run ability was moved to offense, where he is still learning the game.

Put the ball in Espy's hands! He's fumbled 4 out of 32 touches this season! It would just make too much sense that it is Espy. Give the guy who keeps messing up more touches.

Eddie Royal has dropped from the #2 receiving option on the team to #3 this season, you dont field 3 safeties. Hester was drafted as a CB/KR and owing to his perceived home-run ability was moved to offense, where he is still learning the game.

The point remains, both start at WR for their teams.

on my list of all-time great returners, all but jeremy bloom were full-time starters.

you don't "save" your stars by not playing them on special teams. you play to freaking win.

this isn't tee-ball, youth soccer, or the office basketball league.

this is the bigs. play to freaking win.

if you've got a killer freaking athlete who can help you in the return game, you play him. that's why d.scott was returning kicks. i am sure some of these other guys are all heart and great citizens, but you want guys out there who can change the freaking game in a heartbeat.

eddie royal won the charger game for the broncs.

josh smith made our Buffs more competitive last year than they otherwise would have been.

bloooooooooooooom!

etc.

this is silly.

Back