What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am hearing grumblings...

for ****'s sake, i got ONE tiny part wrong FROM MEMORY (that he was conf. poy at mesa) about something that happened 25 ****ing years ago.

don't test me, boy. don't test. :lol:

Yeah, there is such a fine line between "conference player of the year" and "never set foot on the ****ing field". I'm nitpicking here... :sorry:

:lol:

Dude was kicked off the team by Chuck Fairbanks. I gotta think that was not an easy accomplishment. Chuck was the guy who taught Barry Switzer how to coach. One of the guys, anyhow. He preceeded Barry at OU.

And like I said, I'm glad he got his stuff turned around. But based on what I remember from his time at CU, and what Junk is reporting about him getting into it at Mesa, the kid had issues. I'm glad he got over them.
:popcorn: UBT firing off a shot in 3...2...1...

Dude was kicked off the team by Chuck Fairbanks. I gotta think that was not an easy accomplishment. .

your speculation isn't accurate or well-founded. he wasn't an angel, but it wasn't like he was an ax-murderer or something either. he made a couple of kid-stupid mistakes and they made an example out of him.

chucky was definitely no angel... that part i agree with...

I think you may be somewhat mixing him up with Donnie Holmes. Both were run out of CU and ended up at Mesa during the Bob Cortese era over here. (Awesome coach, very nearly brought home a national championship, and most likely was dirty as hell.... :huh:) Stanley never actually played here, though. Seems to me there was a bit more trouble, either academic or legal, and he ended up going into the NFL without setting foot on the field here... Still remember him winning a turkey day game either for or against the Lions with a TD return of the opening kickoff of OT...

Holmes went on to put up some big numbers here and was drafted into the NFL. Played there for a while. Thinking about what might have been if they had stayed together at CU is enough to make you drool and cry at the same time... :sad1:

I used to work out with Donnie. I think he is an assistant at Mesa, now. He is still in good shape.

Yeah, there is such a fine line between "conference player of the year" and "never set foot on the ****ing field". I'm nitpicking here... :sorry:

one little ****ing mistake. :rofl: i wrote IF I RECALL CORRECTLY after that part because i wasn't sure i recalled correctly on that part. i know i am so rarely wrong that you have to dwell on it, but still... let it go, man, let it go...

:smile2:

Dude was kicked off the team by Chuck Fairbanks. I gotta think that was not an easy accomplishment. Chuck was the guy who taught Barry Switzer how to coach. One of the guys, anyhow. He preceeded Barry at OU.

Hey make fun of former CU coaches all you like but don't make fun of Barry. He has done more good in his life than Ghandi.

Hey make fun of former CU coaches all you like but don't make fun of Barry. He has done more good in his life than Ghandi.

i can say this with near-certainty. i'd rather get drunk and do lines off a hooker's ass with the bootlegger than spend 10 minutes discussing zen with the hawk over a caramel latte at starbucks.

Walter Stanley (born November 5, 1962 in Chicago, Illinois) is a former professional American football wide receiver for seven seasons in the National Football League for the Green Bay Packers, the Detroit Lions, the Washington Redskins, the New England Patriots, and the San Diego Chargers. He played college football at the University of Colorado and Mesa State College and was drafted in the fourth round of the 1985 NFL Draft.

Stanley did play at mesa. Both his wiki page and his football refernce page list him that way.m I remember him playing there, not that that counts for much.

Walter Stanley (born November 5, 1962 in Chicago, Illinois) is a former professional American football wide receiver for seven seasons in the National Football League for the Green Bay Packers, the Detroit Lions, the Washington Redskins, the New England Patriots, and the San Diego Chargers. He played college football at the University of Colorado and Mesa State College and was drafted in the fourth round of the 1985 NFL Draft.

Stanley did play at mesa. Both his wiki page and his football refernce page list him that way.m I remember him playing there, not that that counts for much.

Poor wording. He attended Mesa, but didn't play. Considering I was attending Mesa and attending every home game at the time, I remember the whole scenario pretty well. I was pumped when he enrolled, and pissed when he ended up not gettting to play here.

"Played college football at..." is the generic phrasing, but incorrect here. The Packer article Liver linked above had it right - Walter hadn't actually played for 3 years when the Packers made him a fourth round draft pick. Which shows you how good he was...

your speculation isn't accurate or well-founded.

So he wasn't kicked off the team by Chuck Fairbanks? What part of that isn't accurate? My speculation was that if Chuck Fairbanks was going to kick somebody off the team, he must have done something pretty bad, especially considering Stanley was clearly one of the better players on the team.

I got you, Junction. Sorry about that.

don't apologize to him; he'll only become MORE insufferable.

... best to smack him down even on the rare occasion that he is able to point out a minor, trivial, insignificant error in another's post rather give him any latitude for future pontification. :lol:

So he wasn't kicked off the team by Chuck Fairbanks? What part of that isn't accurate? My speculation was that if Chuck Fairbanks was going to kick somebody off the team, he must have done something pretty bad, especially considering Stanley was clearly one of the better players on the team.

He stole some textbooks, and resold them back to the bookstore.

He stole some textbooks, and resold them back to the bookstore.

That's it?

I seem to remember it was more serious than that, but I have no specific recollection of his transgressions. Seems to me that if that's all he did that Chuckie would have pulled a few strings to keep him around.

Walter Stanley. Apparently, he still has some eligibility left.

Yes, but he'll be returning kicks for Mesa State tomorrow. That's where his remaining eligibility is right now....

I got you, Junction. Sorry about that.

No problem. You were led astray by bad research. It's not like you're just some old drunk nattering away about **** he really doesn't remember at his advanced age.... It's all good... :cool:

Now that my absolute correctness has been once again verified :smile2:, back to the subject of the current kick return game. I guess I have no problem with them trying some different guys on KO returns as long as Scott is out. But I don't want to see them waste a RS on it at this point.

The PR return game, OTOH, absolutely needs an all out open competition. No point burning a RS on that either, since this season is toast. But anybody who might see the field anyway should be getting a look for this job. So far this year it has been an embarassment...

Yes, but he'll be returning kicks for Mesa State tomorrow. That's where his remaining eligibility is right now....

No problem. You were led astray by bad research. It's not like you're just some old drunk nattering away about **** he really doesn't remember at his advanced age.... It's all good... :cool:

Now that my absolute correctness has been once again verified :smile2:, back to the subject of the current kick return game. I guess I have no problem with them trying some different guys on KO returns as long as Scott is out. But I don't want to see them waste a RS on it at this point.

The PR return game, OTOH, absolutely needs an all out open competition. No point burning a RS on that either, since this season is toast. But anybody who might see the field anyway should be getting a look for this job. So far this year it has been an embarassment...

you are so, so off-the-list at the next "let's all do lines off a hooker's ass" tailgate party.

:smile2:

Back