What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am trying to be patient with Sefo

Players with a really strong awareness of all that's happening in a game, used to be described as "heady" (Billups, P Manning...). Sefo is tough and a great leader, but he seems to lose track of what's needed too often (throwing that lame intercept last game, when a heady player would have thrown it out of bounds; the failure to get those last 2 yards, not knowing to spike the ball a few weeks ago, etc, etc)

He is fine physically, but needs work on the mental aspects
This is a fantastic characterization. Some on this board believe you have it or you don't. I think there is an element of truth to that. I also believe Sefo had some sophomore slump challenges not unlike Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel. Not that he will ever be talked about in the same conversation as those guys, but no one was particularly happy with either one's play their sophomore years, either. Higher expectations were in place for all 3.

This is a fantastic characterization. Some on this board believe you have it or you don't. I think there is an element of truth to that. I also believe Sefo had some sophomore slump challenges not unlike Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel. Not that he will ever be talked about in the same conversation as those guys, but no one was particularly happy with either one's play their sophomore years, either. Higher expectations were in place for all 3.
It could be a sophomore slump and Sefo could turn things around. But until he shows he can win in the clutch situations and stops with the INTs, I'll have no choice to believe he doesn't have "it"...the game-winning, kick-your-ass attitude great QBs have. Sefo's good, not great, but this team's major problem isn't Sefo, it's the defense.

It could be a sophomore slump and Sefo could turn things around. But until he shows he can win in the clutch situations and stops with the INTs, I'll have no choice to believe he doesn't have "it"...the game-winning, kick-your-ass attitude great QBs have. Sefo's good, not great, but this team's major problem isn't Sefo, it's the defense.
I can agree with all of that.

Sefo doesn't have the big arm and isn't a plus on the athletic run/pass side of things. But he blows me away in a lot of areas, including ignoring the pressure and delivering a big pass. That TD to Spruce required Sefo to stand in there and wait until the last second, knowing he was going to get blasted. That's something that's hard to teach. It's why I've said on here many times after practice reports that without live bullets, it's tough to tell much.

I have confidence he can take the next step and cut down on the INTs in a big way. Remember that he is 18 months off the high school campus. The next starting QB at CU will hopefully have 18 months on campus before we know much about him.

The whole team seems to lack situational awareness, not just Sefo.

You saw it several times during the season, not even trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock, running sideways to try and make a "big play" instead of just falling forward for a first down, running a 7 yard route on 3rd and 8, the list goes on.

If the problem extends beyond one player it's on the coaches, not the player(s).

I'm not sure if the coaches view those things as "Football 301," and they're just trying to get everyone to master "Football 201" before they seriously start teaching/emphasizing it, or if they're unaware of how to teach those things and assume it's one of those things where players either have "it," or don't, and these players apparently don't.

I suppose the other alternative is that they're not looking at it systematically, and know/want to teach it, but they keep getting bogged down with "no godamit, for the 100th time, this is how you're supposed to line up for this play call." It's the same thing as the 201/301 thought, but with less of a big picture strategy driving it.

Long post short: I put this issue on the coaches, not Sefo.

sophmore slump? Wouldn't we see a decrease in his measurable statistics if this was true?

The whole team seems to lack situational awareness, not just Sefo.

You saw it several times during the season, not even trying to get out of bounds to stop the clock, running sideways to try and make a "big play" instead of just falling forward for a first down, running a 7 yard route on 3rd and 8, the list goes on.

If the problem extends beyond one player it's on the coaches, not the player(s).

I'm not sure if the coaches view those things as "Football 301," and they're just trying to get everyone to master "Football 201" before they seriously start teaching/emphasizing it, or if they're unaware of how to teach those things and assume it's one of those things where players either have "it," or don't, and these players apparently don't.

I suppose the other alternative is that they're not looking at it systematically, and know/want to teach it, but they keep getting bogged down with "no godamit, for the 100th time, this is how you're supposed to line up for this play call." It's the same thing as the 201/301 thought, but with less of a big picture strategy driving it.

Long post short: I put this issue on the coaches, not Sefo.

Yet how many times did Lindgren call a run on 3&5 and we converted or a small screen pass and we got the first down.

Don't you ****ing dare call out our offense you bushwhacker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest gripe with Sefo his his read-option "ability." It seems to me that he almost always hands off and many times when it appears keeping the ball was the better choice.

He tends to do exactly what is taught on the read option. If the DE crashes on the RB then the QB takes it. We play in a conference where the D has a lot of experience against the option, and the DE's in the Pac-12 are much more disciplined with their assignments. That and Sefo doesn't scare people with his legs. He isn't a Mariota or a Hundley back there.

Yet how many times did Lindgren call a run on 3&5 and we converted or a small screen pass and we got the first down. Don't you ****ing dare call out our offense you bushwhacker Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Learn how to reasonably debate. Please.

I'm all in for Sefo in 2015. I really don't think we have any other choices. We know he will bust his butt in the off season and do what is needed to prepare himself to be the starter. Sefo, make it happen!!

One thing for damn sure, Mac will not open the season with an untried and untested quarterback. Generally, coaches prefer a kid to not start until his junior year. Although there seem to be more and more successful underclassmen these days.

I like Sefo, he's a solid player but God Omighty he knows how to step on his slong. Clean up the turnovers and he is effective. He's never going to be great I don't think but he's good enough to win games minus slong stepping.

I like Sefo, he's a solid player but God Omighty he knows how to step on his slong. Clean up the turnovers and he is effective. He's never going to be great I don't think but he's good enough to win games minus slong stepping.

#BigDickProblems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be a big dick (so to speak), but I believe the correct spelling is "schlong."

Back