What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am trying to be patient with Sefo

Team game. He's not the best qb in the conference but he's a gamer. Defense and special teams have to pull their weight too. We don't have enough athletes to give up 87 yard returns and other totally ****astic failure plays. He can't put the team on his back. We haven't had a qb who could do that consistently since hagan. We need more guys who can play, across the board. ****ing awful loss. Again.

"He makes up for his weak arm with his inability to run." Unfortunately, this circa 2009 quote from Shaggy Bevo appears timeless.

From last year to this year, Sefo's has increased from 59% to 65% passes completed, a 1.5:1 to 2:1 TD to Int ratio, and a sack every 25 attempts to a sack every 32 attempts.

Only stat that has gone down is yards per attempt, which I call the Richardson factor.

This thread is BS. So Lindsey puts the ball on the ground on nearly back to back touches at a critical junction in the game and there's nothing but crickets. Wheres the "Lindsey has two club hands and im sick of it" thread?

If you want to hold Sefo accountable then you need to hold all the players who furked up accountable. I too struggle with watching Sefo make the same mistakes week after week but he's not the only one and some of the other mistakes were equally or more damaging so it's really short sighted to lay all these losses at his feet.

If you add into that the fact that we have asked him to grow up really fast. Hes been on campus a little over a year. At most other programs as a true sophomore he would still be holding a clipboard as they methodically groomed his bad habits away in the privacy of the practice field but he's the team captain of a very young mistake prone team and weathering the pressures of leadership in a difficult situation like a champ IMO.

As a senior, Hansen threw 20 tds and 11 ints. He completed 56% of his passes for almost 2900 yards. That was in 13 games.

Stat wise sefo is going to crush those numbers as a sophomore.

I don't get the Hansen love.

Neither do I. Sefo will put up much better numbers this year.

This thread is BS. So Lindsey puts the ball on the ground on nearly back to back touches at a critical junction in the game and there's nothing but crickets. Wheres the "Lindsey has two club hands and im sick of it" thread?

If you want to hold Sefo accountable then you need to hold all the players who furked up accountable. I too struggle with watching Sefo make the same mistakes week after week but he's not the only one and some of the other mistakes were equally or more damaging so it's really short sighted to lay all these losses at his feet.

If you add into that the fact that we have asked him to grow up really fast. Hes been on campus a little over a year. At most other programs as a true sophomore he would still be holding a clipboard as they methodically groomed his bad habits away in the privacy of the practice field but he's the team captain of a very young mistake prone team and weathering the pressures of leadership in a difficult situation like a champ IMO.

Um, how many times did Lindsay turn the ball over before yesterday? Does he only see holes on the right side of the field? How many easy 10-20 yard runs has Lindsay missed this season?

Last edited:
Neither do I. Sefo will put up much better numbers this year.

Well, he will put up more interceptions (already has). He will also likely finish as the losingest QB in CU history, regardless of when he is replaced. I'm not sure how many times it has to be said for some of the neanderthals on this board to understand it, but you cannot compare today's offensive numbers to the numbers of even five years ago. It is a silly exercise. It ends with people reaching the conclusion that Sefo is the best CU QB since Stewart. (Not because Sefo's numbers aren't "better" than Stewart's (they are) but because people seem to understand the border between asinine conclusions and full retard).

Now, I realize Hansen is a more recent comparison, but he played in a less pass-happy and way ****tier offense. He wasn't gifted Richardson and Spruce as No. 1 receivers. He wouldn't have missed some of the plays Sefo missed yesterday.

Having said all that, I understand we need to roll with Sefo for the rest of this year, but I'd like the coaching staff to be exploring all options for next season.

Agreed.

Rep

Well, he will put up more interceptions (already has). He will also likely finish as the losingest QB in CU history, regardless of when he is replaced. I'm not sure how many times it has to be said for some of the neanderthals on this board to understand it, but you cannot compare today's offensive numbers to the numbers of even five years ago. It is a silly exercise. It ends with people reaching the conclusion that Sefo is the best CU QB since Stewart. (Not because Sefo's numbers aren't "better" than Stewart's (they are) but because people seem to understand the border between asinine conclusions and full retard).

Now, I realize Hansen is a more recent comparison, but he played in a less pass-happy and way ****tier offense. He wasn't gifted Richardson and Spruce as No. 1 receivers. He wouldn't have missed some of the plays Sefo missed yesterday.

Having said all that, I understand we need to roll with Sefo for the rest of this year, but I'd like the coaching staff to be exploring all options for next season.

So we can't compare Hansen and Sefo but you are going to tell us exactly how Hansen would have played if he was qb yesterday.

From last year to this year, Sefo's has increased from 59% to 65% passes completed, a 1.5:1 to 2:1 TD to Int ratio, and a sack every 25 attempts to a sack every 32 attempts.

Only stat that has gone down is yards per attempt, which I call the Richardson factor.
He is also #11 in the nation in passing yards, tied for 4th in passing TD's, #2 in attempts and completions, and 6th in INT's.

Sefo isn't perfect (INT's), but he isn't the problem.

Sefo is largely responsible for the improvement we've all seen while simultaneously responsible for the fact that we are 2-7.

He is also #11 in the nation in passing yards, tied for 4th in passing TD's, #2 in attempts and completions, and 6th in INT's.Sefo isn't perfect (INT's), but he isn't the problem.
Connor Halliday has great stats, but no one would call him a great QB. Mostly because he does not take care of the football. It comes with the territory.

Great post.

This team comes with creative ways every game to **** it up. Sefo is the least creative but consistent...INT into triple coverage is his thing now I guess. ST giving up a TD, pick 6, Lindsay fumbles...yup, it's a team sport.

Picks are gonna happen but don't make it because you lock onto guys not going through your reads. If it's not there, tuck it or throw the **** away. He definitely needs to work on that part of his game or learn to read at the line like Peyton, actually both. Film, film, film and throwing extra to your receivers as much as possible. Reading at the line, I don't think he'll get that responsibility anytime soon if ever.

Sefo is locked in, in my opinion. Locked in on one ****ing receiver! You watch him in the pocket and his head never moves. Time after time after time he threw to a covered guy or just threw it away when he had guys wide open elsewhere. And he always, always, always gets flushed and scrambles to his right, essentially condensing the passing zone down to an area about 15 or 20 yards wide and saturated with defenders. His running on the read/option is below average.

But the biggest issue I have with Sefo is that he lacks that "intangible." I don't know how to define it because, well, it's intangible. He just lacks that ability, at this point, to come up with the big play at the critical time. Every close game he has failed to kind of pull off that extraordinary play that the "winners" seem to pull off regularly. DAMMIT! I'M FRUSTRATED!!

When opposing QB's tuck the ball and run against us, we get gashed for a large gain. Sefo just does not have, or has not yet shown this ability. So we rely more on his arm and vision downfield, but progression there is coming at a grinding and painful pace. We are going to have to tilt the offense in favor of a running attack if our QB position remains unchanged.

These consistant interceptions are just devastating each and every week. Must either learn to find the open guy and not just the first guy, or we are pooched.

How does his attempt to INT ratio stack up?

Connor Halliday has great stats, but no one would call him a great QB. Mostly because he does not take care of the football. It comes with the territory.
Sefo is averaging a pick every 35 attempts. Average for the top 10 QB's in the nation by total yards is a pick every 57 attempts. Connor Halliday is at a pick every 48 attempts. Oh - and of those top 10 qb's, 7 are seniors, 2 sophomores, and 1 freshman.

He's definitely throwing more INT's than the Top 10 QB's by yardage. When you move to the next 10 QB's he compares much more favorably - 5th of 10 in Attempt/INT ratio. The second 10 is 4 seniors, 4 juniors, and 2 sophomores.

The issue I am seeing with Sefo is the same problems keep coming up every game. His interceptions aren't coming from crazy athletic ability by the defense. He is literally locking onto receivers and throwing into triple coverage, whether he sees them or not. That's the issue I have. If that doesn't change soon, then yes, a change at QB needs to be looked at. I'm pretty sure the coaches would agree.

Now saying that, it maybe because Gehrke just isn't any better and the coaches know it. Not giving up on Sefo, but the training wheels are off.

Sefo is averaging a pick every 35 attempts. Average for the top 10 QB's in the nation by total yards is a pick every 57 attempts. Connor Halliday is at a pick every 48 attempts. Oh - and of those top 10 qb's, 7 are seniors, 2 sophomores, and 1 freshman.

He's definitely throwing more INT's than the Top 10 QB's by yardage. When you move to the next 10 QB's he compares much more favorably - 5th of 10 in Attempt/INT ratio. The second 10 is 4 seniors, 4 juniors, and 2 sophomores.

Back to my primary point. Sefo isn't perfect, but he isn't the problem - those stats are comparing him against the top QB's in the country. Our defense, on the other hand, is ranked 97th in yards per game and 118th in points per game...

Back to my primary point. Sefo isn't perfect, but he isn't the problem - those stats are comparing him against the top QB's in the country. Our defense, on the other hand, is ranked 97th in yards per game and 118th in points per game...
I think my main point is Sefo is not close to perfect. He is not the main problem, but he is not the solution either. Hopefully that changes next season.

I think my main point is Sefo is not close to perfect. He is not the main problem, but he is not the solution either. Hopefully that changes next season.
If (and this isn't a trivial if) he advances as much from his Sophomore to Junior season as he did from his Freshman to Sophomore season, he will easily be one of the top 20 QB's in the country.

If he doesn't, the defense is still a wildly bigger issue. We can win games with the way Sefo and the offense have performed this year (room for improvement acknowledged). We can't with one of the worst defenses in all of the FBS.

So we can't compare Hansen and Sefo but you are going to tell us exactly how Hansen would have played if he was qb yesterday.

Yes, I broke down every play Hansen would have made for us yesterday. Sigh. It is called the eyeball test. Sefo has better "numbers" this year than Palmer had at USC in his Sophomore or Junior year, so I guess we can expect a Heisman campaign out of Sefo next year or the year after. I'll look forward to that.

My point will be proven eventually if Sefo is the QB of this team for the next two years. Sefo's fan boys have already backed off the "best since Stewart" stance to "best since Klatt."

Yes, I broke down every play Hansen would have made for us yesterday. Sigh. It is called the eyeball test. Sefo has better "numbers" this year than Palmer had at USC in his Sophomore or Junior year, so I guess we can expect a Heisman campaign out of Sefo next year or the year after. I'll look forward to that.

My point will be proven eventually if Sefo is the QB of this team for the next two years. Sefo's fan boys have already backed off the "best since Stewart" stance to "best since Klatt."
Pure numbers...Sefo is the best. However, as it has been pointed out, offenses are different now and the rules benefit the O, so comparison is hard. He certainly isn't the best in ways that matter...leading the team to victory, coming through in the clutch etc.

Gehrke doesn't look good enough to step in, Aspay is 1-2 years away. If folks don't like Sefo...I think he's our guy for a year or 2 more.

So allbuffs has recruiting experts, offensive experts, defensive experts, and now a qb expert. Why the he'll are we paying these coaches so much we you idots would do it way cheaper.

What's the current alternative to being patient with Sefo?

This is a rhetorical question. I know who's on the bench.

So allbuffs has recruiting experts, offensive experts, defensive experts, and now a qb expert. Why the he'll are we paying these coaches so much we you idots would do it way cheaper.

Dust off that proposal to pitch a reality program to the Pac12 Network or A&E

American Idol/Restaurant Impossible/X-Factor hybrid.

Judges: Phil DiStephano, Rick George, Larry Scott or Rick Neuheisel, and special guests like Katie Hnida and Mary Keegan, Lisa Simpson.

Season 1: a field of aspiring coaches get the opportunity to explain to a nationwide TV audience why they deserve to be HC at the U of Colorado.

They discuss recruiting, staffing, offensive and defensive philosophies, facilities, media relations, motivational techniques, game day management, and other key aspects to the job.

During season 2, the winning candidate gets a multimillion dollar contract to take over the coaching job. Behind the scene cameras film each step of the way as Coach Impossible leads CU back to glory.

CU and the Pac12 would make a ton of incremental money on the venture, lead the way in innovative sports-entertainment management, and the results on the field wouldn't be any worse that what CU fans are already used to witnessing.

Viewers would flock to tune in. A few would convert as fans after seeing the magnificence of the CU campus.

With Mork gone, and the South Park franchise getting long in the tooth, it's about time for Boulder to have another vehicle to project itself on the American public.

Back