What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I dig this team, but not some of people who talk about it.

Just FYI. I have been a Buff fan since my Dad took me to my first game in 1987 (or 1988), and Hagen went 78 yards against Texas (I think) on the first play from scrimmage (at least in my recollection). I still remember being in the horseshoe losing my mind. Great moment.

So, I've been here for ALL of "it."

Not quite all of it. We've got a number of older folks who went through the Fairbanks disaster and the long McCartney rebuild. They bring another perspective.

I'm more like your timing in that I started being a fan in the '85-'88 timeframe and then got near instant gratification.

Our young fans have had it tough. If they started cheering any time from 2003 on (over a decade), their experience is that the team hasn't been in the Top 25, there has been national scandal, the heights have been mediocrity and there have been levels of incredible incompetence from the President/Chancellor level down through the AD and through the coaching staff.

At this point, I just try to keep an even keel and appreciate that we still have fans that care enough to get irrationally pissed off over every loss on the field or (even more passionate) over every recruiting target who chooses a different school.

The one thing I don't condone, which you pointed out, is bashing our players either on this board or directly through social media / seeing them on campus or around Boulder.

The OP definitely made some good points. It's not even funny how far better coaching we are seeing. The problem is, at some point, that coaching has to turn into wins. You can spin it as much as you want, but they have to produce. 2015 is a critical year in my mind in that Win-Loss column. We shall see!

Agree with you near term, and for 2015 PateBuff.

For all of our sake's current Buff team, give us an early Christmas present. Win one of these next two games. Both would be all the better! Otherwise we will just continue to beat on each other till next Fall.... :lol: Probably will anyway.

Completely concur that 2015 is going to have substantially greater expectations.

Last edited:
I have read so many nay-saying posts on this site (and others), I had to register and chime in with, perhaps, a different perspective and support the Buffs as they turn an important corner.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT...

I'm out!

FIFY

I've enjoyed this thread, but I can't agree with the idea that it's not okay to post negatively. I don't know about you guys, but I come on here after losses to vent. Most people I know have turned off on the Buffs so much that they don't want to hear it, but I have to get this **** off my chest. That doesn't mean I'm always negative about our team, I mean hell, if it wasn't for the fact that I am so goddamn optimistic before every freaking game, I probably wouldn't need to vent after losses.

I think most of us do agree that progress is being made, and this team is much more fun to watch than the last years of Hawk and the entire Embree disaster. But losses do still hurt, and even the most positive spin on games like the Cal game still doesn't wash away the hurt. Yeah, we didn't get blown out. We've made progress. But we also missed 3 FGs and our last offensive play of the game was a cluster****. That's hard to get over.

You can have any opinion you want Malt, expect not everyone will agree with you. It's not just you, that's everybody on here.

Not quite all of it. We've got a number of older folks who went through the Fairbanks disaster and the long McCartney rebuild. They bring another perspective.

Saw my first game in Folsom in 1963, I believe, but who's counting? Steve Sidwell (Denver East) played OLB for the buffs that year.

I went through all that stuff you mentioned, but I can't say I remember every game.

Except Kansas 2010, I remember that like it was yesterday.

And Stanford 2012, that still stings.
enjoying-memory-loss.jpg

I agree with much of the post, particularly how difficult it is to build a program these days. I think some people don't realize the incredibly deep hole we were in with talent and experience. We had NONE.

I'm enjoying watching them improve, get aggravated when Sefo or others make the same mistakes, etc. I like analyzing the team, with my limited knowledge.

I agree some people get too negative and worse, disrespectful.

Random thoughts done.

Welcome to the board.

I made it to "I like the chess game." Why does everyone always try to bring the royal game down to the level of sports?

I hear what you're saying; however, one could argue that football is far more complex than chess. Every play in football has 22 pieces in motion, while each turn in chess only has 2. Every play in football has far more possible variations and outcomes since all 22 pieces return to a new position for the next play, while chess invariably reduces in possible outcomes as pieces are removed from the board.

Don't see any 8 year-old football coach phenoms out there.

I hear what you're saying; however, one could argue that football is far more complex than chess. Every play in football has 22 pieces in motion, while each turn in chess only has 2. Every play in football has far more possible variations and outcomes since all 22 pieces return to a new position for the next play, while chess invariably reduces in possible outcomes as pieces are removed from the board.

Don't see any 8 year-old football coach phenoms out there.

Sure you do. There are thousands of 8 year olds who would kick your ass at Madden over XBOX Live. :lol:

It's the ability to manage & lead others (and the variabilities of human performance) that takes maturity & experience.

I have read so many nay-saying posts on this site (and others), I had to register and chime in with, perhaps, a different perspective and support the Buffs as they turn an important corner.

Frankly, I could really care less about wins and losses. Sure, I was in Miami for both years way back when, and the later was far more enjoyable than the former. But, I love the "form" of football. I like the chess game. I like the moments, outcome be damned. Enjoying winning is easy, but its also like reading poetry or literature only for the first reaction - and delving no deeper: Yes, Animal Farm was a fun story about pigs and horses, but look at how Crawley now looks back for the ball and locates it quickly compared to his Freshman year; consider that we are able conceive and "game plan" a "corners on an island" scheme; notice that there is almost always at least one receiver open on any play due to good route combinations and well-drilled fundamentals; realize that our receivers rarely drop balls within their "zone" (and are making a good number of circus catches - due to (I believe) a change in practice habits and catching tennis balls as rote: i.e., they have a really good conceptual receiver as receiver's coach); etc.

Most importantly to me, when I watch a play this year, I see players understanding scheme and optimizing their talent far more clearly.

Admittedly, there have been times over the past years when the "form" of CU football was less than satisfying. I think there was some horrible coaching for quite a few years. But, clearly that is no longer the case. The choices and plans that these coaches are working up are fun to watch. I look at the first two offensive plays from the USC game: two long runs off tackle with two different plays, taking advantage of a tendency in a "superior" front seven; I think the CU coaches considered that the USC front seven would have little respect for CU's offensive line and they would attach up-field aggressively right from the start. We didn't even bother to block Williams on the first play. You could see the thinking and the design. It was thoughtful and good chess. There were a great number of those types of concepts in that game.

However, in chess the pieces do exactly what you tell them to do, in football that is not the case. The interception on the third offensive snap was rough, and clearly a mis-read by Sefo.

I think it is often not discussed and overlooked that no player (or coach) is EVER a finished product; talent does not supplant experience, it just raises both the floor and ceiling of the potential. I think one moment in the USC game really brought home to me just how young and inexperienced our Buffs are: once, we took out Sefo and some of the starters at the start of the fourth quarter, there were a few camera shots of the faces of the CU players - especially the receivers; they looked far more like my 15 year old nephew with a huge helmet on than a college football player; they were thin, wide-eyed, and lacked the muscular develop that obviously will come with a few years of Div. I training under their belt. Teams in the Top 25 can introduce true freshmen into their line up in places - as the rest of the team is solid and more experienced (especially in a particular "system") around them. CU is just getting to the point where we have enough talented players with experience on the field to make a unit. In the modern age of football, the difference between good and great, and good and average is incredibly minor - which is why you hear every coach talking about a few plays here and there; it is also about a few players here and there, and a bit of experience here and there, etc.

Football is a game of emotion. Emotional development takes time - in fact, recent brain studies has shown that the human brain is not fully formed until early 20's. While everyone is different, the last thing to develop generally is impulse control. If a Freshman is on a football field with other people who know what they are doing, it is going to "feel" different to him. When USC ends up with a big score quickly, that "feels" very different to someone who has spent little time in a "Coliseum" before. In short, I did not see a blow out in the "form" of football I watched on the field last Saturday.

All that being said, I have enjoyed every game I have watched this season. I love Coach Mac II's passion and choices. If ever there was a coach who was fully engaged in the game at every moment, it's him. I completely respect that. I also would like to reiterate, coaches are NEVER finished products, they learn on the job at each job. The San Jose job was different than the CU job. Football itself has changed remarkably over the past five years.

The question for me in reading (some people) on this site (and others) is, why not enjoy the process more than the result? Why not focus on the form of football - which I assume is why people are football "fans" more than wrestling fans? What is the point of being upset at players and coaches? What part of what's happening on the field do you think you have a say in? It's far more fun to enjoy a game for what it is, than "need" a win.

I admit - I find this twitter-based, "social" media mentality annoying. It's as if a "loss" by "your" team is somehow embarrassing to "you," as if fans have some real stake in the outcome. Get over yourself. In this context, we are not that important. So, dial down the vitriol and cease and desist on "tweeting" vile things to players and coaches. Try to see beyond the score. It may be beneficial to you even outside of football.

I'm out!

You are in a vast minority on this. People watch football because of the thrill of victory. If you want to enjoy "development", go watch baseball. So sorry the majority of us disappoint you.

I appreciate that "Matt Foley" is a "Buffs fan" so thank you for sharing your "thoughts."

I am trying to enjoy the process but the results have been humiliating most gamedays in the last decade. I was hoping each year that we'd be further along in that process.

Sure you do. There are thousands of 8 year olds who would kick your ass at Madden over XBOX Live. :lol:

It's the ability to manage & lead others (and the variabilities of human performance) that takes maturity & experience.

Well played. Checkmate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy the process of every burger you flip. Forget about the amount of the paycheck at the end. Sound strategy.

Lots of different ways to be a good fan.

Personally, I'm exponentially more engaged when the team's winning. It's so much more fun.

I like this post. However, winning matters, it is why the game is played, to determine a victor. I enjoy the teamwork, skill and planning that goes into playing competitively. Having looked extensively at film from the Embree days, this team is younger, and much more disciplined, skilled and athletic. I am a short lived Buff fan, going to my first game Saturday. But As a longstanding college football fan, I have read many a college football site, posts and comment sections in the newspaper. I have been surprised in that I rarely read comments in Allbuffs that lack civility., intelligence maybe, but not civility. The comments may be very negative at times, but they don't strike me as overly harsh. Players are left alone. Even when the Buffs win regularly again, count me as an ex-reader if the comments become almost exclusively positive. Getting upset about what happened in last weeks game is a major American pastime and a source of unending conversations.

Lots of different ways to be a good fan.

TruDat.

If you ask me, the sunshine pumping power of positive thinking candy coaters do more harm than good. This behavior is disingenuous.

Isn't winning more fun?

After years of watching Pollyanna types equate positive spin to being a good fan, it occurs to me that the Buffs could use a culture of accountability.

Hawkins team never played harder then when "200" wore powder blue.

DiStephano & Benson never showed more commitment then when regents were getting peppered by e-mails.

The pride and tradition of Colorado Football shall not be entrusted to the timid and the weak...nor turd polishers.

Fight CU down the field
CU must show progress
Fight, fight for improvement
CU knows no performance based accountability
So roll up a mighty process of participation
Never give tough love.
Shoulder to shoulder
We will settle, settle, settle, settle, settle.

Good stuff MaltyB.I began skipping my posse's tailgates a couple years ago and just go straight in the stadium and watch the team get loose and all the other pregame stuff that happens on the field.Its been a fun reminder,for me,that they are simply kids playing a game having fun.I still enjoy the games too of course,not as much as I did 20 years ago,but if nothing else the last decade has taught me I just love the whole gameday experience.I can't imagine not supporting the players and coaches as long as they are giving it their best shot.I know that sounds very hawkins-esque,but I love CU football too much to turn my back.Its really really hard sometimes,but when you truly love something you love it for better or worse,through thick and thin.

In other words: seek not the target, but to be the bow. Did I get the gist?

You clearly do appreciate the "gist," and I appreciate the Zen. However, as many responses to my initial post have pointed out, this site essentially exists to permit the details to be hashed over.

I enjoyed reading the responses to the initial thread far more than I thought I would. (I had images of being piled on - my frat in college had this "rule" that once someone said the word "heem" - don't ask - the next person to walk through the door would get piled on by everyone in the main room - and yes, one time it was the mailman). So. thank you for the welcome and interesting takes.

As to the "wins and losses" assertion, I look at it like this: I don't do anything to help us win. I don't make any mistakes that cause us to lose (though, I am certain that the placement of my remote control is critical to avoiding turnovers). I'm not in labor or management. I'm support. I'm like a really distant cousin - twice removed - that you only see at family reunions.

I care deeply about my Buffs. But I care about wins when I'm the one playing. I am going to be 50 next year, and I'm still a serious runner. I care about my times passionately and I still chase wins - in age group anyway (and hope to break my 10k PR from when I was 17 next year - coming back for the Bolder Boulder!)

My point is, it does the players and coaches who ARE responsible no good for me to hate on them or get down on them. All it does is make me upset. That just adds to a growing negative environment surrounding the team. And that builds and becomes palpable, to the point where issues with wins and money get good men (but maybe not good head coaches) fired in under two years or coaches with high winning percentages fired for dumb comments (leading to a horrible hire and slow decay). I think the question was posed on this site before, would Mac I have made it through to the championship seasons in the modern - all day sports and blog - environments? I understand "venting," but it doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Thanks for the welcome. (And I'll try to start curbing the length of my diatribes.)

Last edited:
Back