What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I dig this team, but not some of people who talk about it.

Winning is more fun, but I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that the Buffs have been drastically more enjoyable to watch this year. They've been putting up 400 yards of offense/game, a fight on defense, and generally (except last week) been in every game they've played until the end.

Like Nik said, there are a bunch of different ways to be a good fan, but I don't understand the folks that are clearly miserable about the Buffs nearly all the time. Why not do something that makes you happy?

I think the closeness of a couple of our losses raises the frustration level yet fuels hope.

You clearly do appreciate the "gist," and I appreciate the Zen. However, as many responses to my initial post have pointed out, this site essentially exists to permit the details to be hashed over.

I enjoyed reading the responses to the initial thread far more than I thought I would. (I had images of being piled on - my frat in college had this "rule" that once someone said the word "heem" - don't ask - the next person to walk through the door would get piled on by everyone in the main room - and yes, one time it was the mailman). So. thank you for the welcome and interesting takes.

As to the "wins and losses" assertion, I look at it like this: I don't do anything to help us win. I don't make any mistakes that cause us to lose (though, I am certain that the placement of my remote control is critical to avoiding turnovers). I'm not in labor or management. I'm support. I'm like a really distant cousin - twice removed - that you only see at family reunions.

I care deeply about my Buffs. But I care about wins when I'm the one playing. I am going to be 50 next year, and I'm still a serious runner. I care about my times passionately and I still chase wins - in age group anyway (and hope to break my 10k PR from when I was 17 next year - coming back for the Bolder Boulder!)

My point is, it does the players and coaches who ARE responsible no good for me to hate on them or get down on them. All it does is make me upset. That just adds to a growing negative environment surrounding the team. And that builds and becomes palpable, to the point where issues with wins and money get good men (but maybe not good head coaches) fired in under two years or coaches with high winning percentages fired for dumb comments (leading to a horrible hire and slow decay). I think the question was posed on this site before, would Mac I have made it through to the championship seasons in the modern - all day sports and blog - environments? I understand "venting," but it doesn't happen in a vacuum.

Thanks for the welcome. (And I'll try to start curbing the length of my diatribes.)

In a world full of people trying to be smart, funny or poignant in 140 characters or less I like the posts from you and MTN.

Of course it's more fun to be behind a winning program. Fact is, everybody still following, that makes you a good fan imho. These years have been ****ing rough to see. When we start to win big games again, it's gonna be sweet. Damn, I almost forgot what it feels like.

Of course it's more fun to be behind a winning program. Fact is, everybody still following, that makes you a good fan imho. These years have been ****ing rough to see. When we start to win big games again, it's gonna be sweet. Damn, I almost forgot what it feels like.

My wife, who is not a Buffs fan despite years of trying to convert her, made an interesting observation about the CU fan base. It was at the CU/ASU game in Tempe last year, as we (me decked out in CU garb) walked Mill Ave prior to the game in a sea of ASU fans. Every so often, we would cross paths with another CU fan. She likened us to a rehab recovery support group. Not proud of the struggles we've been having, but letting each other know we understand what the other is feeling. It was less about unbridled enthusiasm and hope, and more about solidarity through a trying ordeal. I think that it was, and still is, very accurate.

Looking forward to the time when being a Buff fan is more fun, but glad some other schleps are committed and willing to keep showing up to the 'meetings' on Saturdays each fall and support each other year round.

Go Buffs - proud of the fans who have stuck it out through thick and thin!!

Thank you, FlatironsBuff. Much appreciated. I agree about the shift toward 140 character-based discussions. I also appreciate a well-placed comma. I do still try to monitor my grammar, though I often fail; ;)

IowaBuffsFan: I like your wife's perspective. I have experienced something similar in Los Angeles. I still yell, Go Buffs when I see someone else in a Buffs gear. I often get the hang-dog look reflecting the weight of the past few years. But there is an optimism afoot, deep, deep, deep down there that keeps pulling that Buffs gear out of the closet!

Last edited:
I like my grammar with melted marshmallows and chocolate on them. Or Nutella. ( I also know I am one of the unwashed heathens on the board so I do not even try to impress anyone with anything that resembles proper grammar.)

That's a horrible analogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it? Why? I'm pretty tired of the absolute statements on this board without any reasoning whatsoever.

Maltese - if you're into "watching the process," more power to you. I think you're nuts, but I would agree this year's team is more enjoyable to watch than last year's team. Whether that makes for an overall enjoyable experience for me is a different story.

Is it? Why? I'm pretty tired of the absolute statements on this board without any reasoning whatsoever.

Maltese - if you're into "watching the process," more power to you. I think you're nuts, but I would agree this year's team is more enjoyable to watch than last year's team. Whether that makes for an overall enjoyable experience for me is a different story.

You're right, I should have given a reason. I apologize.

IMO you can't compare sitting on the couch watching a football game or attending a football game to flipping burgers. People pay to watch tv and attend sporting events. People get paid to flip burgers. Watching sports is absolutely all about the process. You wouldn't show up to a game with 2 minutes left just so that you can see the outcome, would you?

I guess what I'm trying to say is in football there is always a chance of losing no matter who you are, yet millions of people choose to pay to watch football games every year. Why? Because they enjoy the process/atmosphere/tradition that a college football game provides. If there was a chance that you wouldn't get paid for a day of flipping burgers, would you show up? If you knew you would get paid whether you showed up to work or not, would you go?

You're right, I should have given a reason. I apologize.

IMO you can't compare sitting on the couch watching a football game or attending a football game to flipping burgers. People pay to watch tv and attend sporting events. People get paid to flip burgers. Watching sports is absolutely all about the process. You wouldn't show up to a game with 2 minutes left just so that you can see the outcome, would you?

I guess what I'm trying to say is in football there is always a chance of losing no matter who you are, yet millions of people choose to pay to watch football games every year. Why? Because they enjoy the process/atmosphere/tradition that a college football game provides. If there was a chance that you wouldn't get paid for a day of flipping burgers, would you show up? If you knew you would get paid whether you showed up to work or not, would you go?

Good points. Bad analogy.

I hear what you're saying; however, one could argue that football is far more complex than chess. Every play in football has 22 pieces in motion, while each turn in chess only has 2. Every play in football has far more possible variations and outcomes since all 22 pieces return to a new position for the next play, while chess invariably reduces in possible outcomes as pieces are removed from the board.

Don't see any 8 year-old football coach phenoms out there.

Chess is pure. No steroids, no stealing signals, no discrimination, no chance. Everything is on the board in full view. Your head against mine. You see, you're helping make my point of how very different the physical sports are from this mental one.

A better analogy might be hunting, fishing or even skiing. Some people don't enjoy fishing unless they're catching fish. Others enjoy fishing regardless of whether they catch anything or not, although they probably enjoy it more when they catch a lot of fish. Or some people can enjoy a day skiing, even if it's icy, windy and cold; whereas others wouldn't even bother because they would find it miserable. Now, of course the former would enjoy it more if the sun was shining and there was 12 inches of fresh powder, just as the latter would enjoy it as well.

I think pretty much anyone that is left as a CU fan has found things they enjoy about watching and/or attending games other than winning. Unfortunately, I think a non-trivial number of these people are quite literally sadists and/or masochists: the only reason they are around is because they actually enjoy inflicting pain and suffering on other fans or they actually enjoy the pain of losing. But aside from those disturbed people, I think everyone would probably agree that it will be more fun when the team starts winning again, but some people can find more enjoyment in observing the process than others do.

Chess is pure. No steroids, no stealing signals, no discrimination, no chance. Everything is on the board in full view. Your head against mine. You see, you're helping make my point of how very different the physical sports are from this mental one.
Settle down, nerd.

I like to win. kthxbai
Then why are you still here?

Clearly you like the buffs a whole lot more than winning or you wouldn't have taken the time to post over 14,000 posts in the last six years(arguable the one of the most winless stretches of CU football in history). So your actions indicate that winning isn't as important to you as your loyalty to and affection for the team, which is, ironically, part of what Maltese is talking about.

Good stuff MaltyB.I began skipping my posse's tailgates a couple years ago and just go straight in the stadium and watch the team get loose and all the other pregame stuff that happens on the field.Its been a fun reminder,for me,that they are simply kids playing a game having fun.I still enjoy the games too of course,not as much as I did 20 years ago,but if nothing else the last decade has taught me I just love the whole gameday experience.I can't imagine not supporting the players and coaches as long as they are giving it their best shot.I know that sounds very hawkins-esque,but I love CU football too much to turn my back.Its really really hard sometimes,but when you truly love something you love it for better or worse,through thick and thin.

If you haven't done it before, you really need to sit in the field-house when the band and pep squads come in (45m - 1hr pre-game?). You get totally immersed in a great aspect of the college football experience.

i appreciate the enthusiasm and calls for process over results. but... (there's always a "but")...

what frustrates me the most is that i still see huge gaps in our rebuilding process. mm is a very good football coach and we look better at execution than we have for years. he has a plan; they are organized; they teach fundamentals; etc. these are all great process points to be happy about. but, we aren't recruiting. that's not just my opinion.

what happened at usc illustrates the problem. they are not as well coached (in my opinion) as CU right now. but, they have way more athletes. keep in mind that they are down 30 scholarship players and they still outclassed us greatly across the board in pure talent.

i'm super frustrated that it appears we are building one half of the foundation for rebuilding well (coaching, execution, organization) and the other half extraordinarily poorly (recruiting). the p12 is filled with really good coaches right now. there are no gimmes. we aren't going to move up without better talent.

george has done a tremendous job thus far on the stuff he controls-- facilities upgrades, academic support, etc-- he's doing the infrastructure stuff that needs to be done if we are going to be competitive. mm can coach.

if we could just figure out a way to start landing some bluechips... not all at once... but START with a few here and there, like Mac did back in the day, then i'd be a lot more hopeful for the future.

usc took a lot out of me. i'll be in front of the tv with my friends watching ucla today and hoping like hell for a win. but, if we are going to actually rebound some day we need all the pieces in place, not just some of them.

I am ecstatic about another step toward CU's return to dominance. These horrible losses will build character, and I, for one, enjoy committing time and money to living through this process.

Idot Buff: In a perfect world, your post would be the perfect ending to this string of comments. In my mind, when I began this string, an ending like this is just what I hoped for. Now, we move on to other issues and knock those down like our Buffs almost did to UCLA! ;) Fight regardless of the odds! Get up no matter how hard you are knocked down! Kapla!

Idot Buff: In a perfect world, your post would be the perfect ending to this string of comments. In my mind, when I began this string, an ending like this is just what I hoped for. Now, we move on to other issues and knock those down like our Buffs almost did to UCLA! ;) Fight regardless of the odds! Get up no matter how hard you are knocked down! Kapla!

Well, it could have been.

Then why are you still here?

Clearly you like the buffs a whole lot more than winning or you wouldn't have taken the time to post over 14,000 posts in the last six years(arguable the one of the most winless stretches of CU football in history). So your actions indicate that winning isn't as important to you as your loyalty to and affection for the team, which is, ironically, part of what Maltese is talking about.

Addiction is irrational

Not quite all of it. We've got a number of older folks who went through the Fairbanks disaster and the long McCartney rebuild. They bring another perspective.

Hey, Whippersnapper!

You forgot us "Dal Ward got screwed" geezers, who ended up with the original "Sonny" (Grandelius, not that dipsh*t up in Ft Fun); then had to suffer through high school coach, Bud Davis and Eddie Crowder's early years in order to see the Buffs come back; only to then see Mallory, followed by Chuckles.....

You young punks missed a lot of CU history. Anyway, good first post.....suck it, Slider!

And what's so racist about "Palazzo" ?

Last edited:
Hey, Whippersnapper!

You forgot us "Dal Ward got screwed" geezers, who ended up with the original "Sonny" (Grandelius, not that dipsh*t up in Ft Fun); then had to suffer through high school coach, Bud Davis and Eddie Crowder's early years in order to see the Buffs come back; only to then see Mallory, followed by Chuckles.....

You young punks missed a lot of CU history. Anyway, good first post.....suck it, Slider!

And what's so racist about "Palazzo" ?
Bud Davis, Travolta, coached at CU? Yep must have missed that one lol.

I didn't realize the type of attitude exhibited in this thread (ambivalence over winning or losing) was so prevalent among CU fans. Obviously it is your right to have whatever attitude and outlook you choose, but please realize that apathy got us in this mess in the first place (4th and 5th years for Hawkins). No, I'm not arguing for MacIntyre to be fired, but I am hoping we start caring more about winning and less about "enjoying the process."

I didn't realize the type of attitude exhibited in this thread (ambivalence over winning or losing) was so prevalent among CU fans. Obviously it is your right to have whatever attitude and outlook you choose, but please realize that apathy got us in this mess in the first place (4th and 5th years for Hawkins). No, I'm not arguing for MacIntyre to be fired, but I am hoping we start caring more about winning and less about "enjoying the process."

Fear of RG not being able to hire a good coach to Boulder before 2018 > fear MM fails to deliver SJSU-like turnaround before 2018.

Another use of false logic is that criticizing HCMM automatically equates to wanting him fired, whereas it is entirely possible that the criticism is intended to be constructive. Liking MM does not require slobbering on his knob.

Settle down, Vince.

Back