What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I don’t get Bohn’s unyielding support of Hawkins.

so someone sneak into the A/D and cross out Hawkins' name and insert Peterson on the contract.... (do it in pen though)

And then send it certified mail, along with a letter to the BSU AD that we mistakenly hired the wrong guy and we want to trade. As soon as they sign for the letter, we get Peterson. Brilliant!:smile2:

EDIT: Damn you, beltway. You beat me to it.

Last edited:
fair point, although 2 years ain't much better. the recruit is making a decision for the next 4 or 5 years.

Seems to be a real catch 22. give the guy an extension and risk having to buy him out, or have a lame-duck coach who has a bad recruiting class ever 3 or 4 years.

When you can't afford to buy the guy out, it becomes a HUGE risk for the entire athletic department when you give a guy who has never had a winning season at CU a 5 year deal.

EDIT: Bohn took a huge risk with that extension and it's not panning out. That's why I feel he needs to be held accountable as well as Hawk.

Last edited:
Agree, Petersen does appear to be the guy with the magic.

Or maybe it is just that weak-ass WAC conference with the occasional team from the northern half of the Pac Ten thrown in.

If any school is going to get a coach from a "non-BCS" conference, it should be from the MWC, and second to them is Conference USA. Those programs should be the "stepping stones" for the coaches of D-II, D-I FCS, and the lesser D-I FBS conference programs to go to, not straight to BCS programs.

Back to the original point:

I don't see how Mike Bohn is the "CEO" for CU.

Phil DiStefano is the "CEO", Bohn is a divisional Vice President. And it has been stated that DiStefano (as interim chancellor in 2005) "was directly involved in hiring athletic director Mike Bohn, Hawkins, and women's basketball coach Kathy McConnell-Miller." - Kyle Ringo 4-21-2009

DiStefano is the one that approves budgets, forces cuts, and decides the level of institution support (or loans) that the university gives to the athletic dept.

DiStefano is the one that approves budgets, forces cuts, and decides the level of institution support (or loans) that the university gives to the athletic dept.

So should we be reaching out to DiStefano instead? Maybe it's more important that he feel the heat from Football supporters/donors/boosters rather than Bohn, who it sounds like would have to come to DiStefano for approval anyhow??

So should we be reaching out to DiStefano instead? Maybe it's more important that he feel the heat from Football supporters/donors/boosters rather than Bohn, who it sounds like would have to come to DiStefano for approval anyhow??

Bohn is still the front-line man for problems within the athletic department, but the budgetary issue is a university-wide problem.

DiStefano has a much bigger budget then the $30-50 mil that is in the athletic department, so to him this "problem" isn't as big as other issues unless if hurts overall enrollment, donor support, etc.

If Bohn needs a loan from the university to pay for the buyout then it most definitely would fall on DiStefano's lap, but first Bohn has to manage within his budget and answer to DiStefano if performance (fiscal) isn't going to meet projections. So, if gate revenues and 2010 season ticket sales are going to be down, Bohn knows he has bust his hump to make up the difference in any way that he can.

Basically, as long as he brings the department in/under budget with no scandals/P.R. problems, high graduation rates and GPA's, and some on-field success within the department (not just football) then Bohn's job will be secure.

Back