What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I guess we're a running team

That was what I saw. What I also saw was Bobo and Ross starting to show a "why am I out here?" demeanor between plays. It is as though Sefo just looks for Spruce every play and then rolls out to the right if Spruce is covered. Sefo needs to learn field vision if this team is going to go anywhere.

If he hasn't learned it by now...

That is the question. Also did we become a running team because we can't throw it effectively?

Next week is going to tell us a lot.

I'd much rather that a coach adapt to the skills that we have versus try to force a system on a talent base we don't have.

The passing game was prolific last year. Why isn't it this year?
Bloom said in the broadcast the UMASS D coordinator stated that they were not going to give up the big play. That they would give CU the run and short passes but protect the deep stuff. He also said Mac told them that if UMASS kept the safeties back he was confident they could run the ball against them. Perhaps defenses are game planning against that prolific passing game they saw last year and our coaches are adjusting.

f0co6c482iz8a1lx.jpg

That was what I saw. What I also saw was Bobo and Ross starting to show a "why am I out here?" demeanor between plays. It is as though Sefo just looks for Spruce every play and then rolls out to the right if Spruce is covered. Sefo needs to learn field vision if this team is going to go anywhere.

I saw something different. Sefo didn't seem to look for Spruce for about the first quarter and a half. Bloom said they were bracketing Spruce and maybe that changed once we were running the ball so well.

I saw Shay on the sidelines a lot due to the double TE's, with Frazier playing TE on the end of the line.

Sefo definitely locked on to Spruce at Hawaii. I thought he was trying to spread it around a little more this game. JMO

We ran the ball well versus Hawaii too.

Colorado vs. Hawaii:

53 carries, 215 yards, 2 TDs

Ohio State vs. Hawaii:

49 carries, 182 yards, 4 TDs

Sefo has regressed and the oline can't pass protect. We don't have much choice.
Actually, on passing to his left Sefo looks stronger and better. And as HCMM (or somebody) noted post-game, Sefo often checked into more effective running plays at the line, showing his experience.
Key for any team is to take what the defense is giving up, instead of pounding your head against a brick wall. The passing game will come, when the "D" brings 8 in the box to stop the run.

As for last week, it was an anomaly, just like Toledo beating the Hawgs in Fayetteville was an anomaly. Happens in college football.

My son was telling me that Sefo had guys open all day but either didn't pick them up or, for whatever reason, didn't throw them the ball. Is that you guy's impression as well? What's going on with him?
As I recall from my officiating days, what you see in the stands ain't so obvious from an on-the-field perspective, since you can't see that LB within arm's reach of or in the passing lane, that Sefo sees. He does need to look for and find his other receivers though.

Where the hell is Olugbode and Gillam? They are completely invisible when I watch the games. Good or bad?

Where the hell is Olugbode and Gillam? They are completely invisible when I watch the games. Good or bad?

I'm gonna say mostly good. We don't see them chasing after the RB or TE after getting burned in pass protection. Neither Hawaii or UMASS was able to run much, so they didn't have much to do in the running game. I have to say, I liked what I saw out of Gamboa in the second half.

I think the passing game was somewhat inflated last year with so many bubble screens and quick passes. Made it look really prolific at times, especially in OOC games, but his YPA was pretty low in relation to how many yards he threw for. I don't see the regression that some are claiming; I simply see a team who struggled in game 1, and didn't need to throw the ball much at all in game 2.

Yeah what's up with that? I think I heard his name once the whole game. I hear McCartney a lot. He's not the most talented guy but he plays his ass off.

Gillam just looks like he is going through the motions. Really weird.

Very strange. Sounded like he was ready to get after it this season after struggling with injury etc...last year. Need him to return to the player he was as a freshman, which seems odd for a 3yr starter.

Passing will come back. Clearly the Oline has transformed into a different kind of beast. I think it will take weeks, but Sefo will feel in synch and comfortable when he knows what the line can and can't do.

We lost our best receiver to graduation.... Oh, wait...

Ok, it's that we don't have a tight end this year...

Hold on, I'm getting there...

Ummmmmm,

I got nothing.

Actually, on passing to his left Sefo looks stronger and better. And as HCMM (or somebody) noted post-game, Sefo often checked into more effective running plays at the line, showing his experience.
Key for any team is to take what the defense is giving up, instead of pounding your head against a brick wall. The passing game will come, when the "D" brings 8 in the box to stop the run.

As for last week, it was an anomaly, just like Toledo beating the Hawgs in Fayetteville was an anomaly. Happens in college football.
I was glad to see Toledo now having something else to hang their hat on than whipping Juicebox's Buffs. At least we were not ranked when they beat us. And it was at Toledo (thinking this was at Arky?)

Back