What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I had thought I was an apologist for Bohn, but my worst fears are being realized

Why do I fear that Nik is right? If Dr. Phil is really doing what Benson wants, I don't think it matters much to the next athletic director is.

This DiStef graduated from a known football school called Ohio State University...kind of strange eh?

Just let me cut to the way out of left field conspiracy theory: DiStef is destroying the CU football program as a way to get back at former Michigan Defensive Coordinator Bill McCartney and this is just a proxy in the great war between those two schools, alumni, and fans.

:saythat:

Why do I fear that Nik is right? If Dr. Phil is really doing what Benson wants, I don't think it matters much to the next athletic director is.

But it would matter a ton who the next President is. Actually, it does whether this is coming from BB or Phil. At least if it's coming from Benson, we know he's leaving fairly soon....

The Regents have some skin in this game, too.

Only heard from when tuition increases are proposed.

The public officials for CU are the most reactionary group I have seen in a while. It takes something on campus going to **** before we even hear a peep out of them.

Every year we reevaluate the Pres and Chanc from scratch as if they need to be hired for the first time. Phil's personal history and work experience doesn't exactly make him pop out as better than other candidates, does it?

I can't believe we may be talking about five years before any new AD candidate has a green light to do anything. The Pac 12 can't be down with that "plan". Phil HAS to be close to retirement right?

I didn't think I could get any more pessimistic about our prospects for ever turning things around. Sigh...thanks Nik! :bang:
At this point I'm just praying that Phil doesn't manage to screw up the momentum we have going with basketball.

Last edited:
I can't believe we may be talking about five years before any new AD candidate has a green light to do anything. The Pac 12 can't be down with that "plan". Phil HAS to be close to retirement right?

I didn't think I could get any more pessimistic about our prospects for ever turning things around. Sigh...thanks Nik! :bang:
At this point I'm just praying that Phil doesn't manage to screw up the momentum we have going with basketball.
The PAC has got to have us on double secret probation at this point.

To take a little different view. Bruce Benson is on record as saying that Athletics are the "front porch" to University giving. His goal is to have the annual University giving to double to $400 million with Athletics to go to $20 Million. If you know Bruce Benson or are familiar with him - he is very good at fund raising and he is one of the largest donors to the University. He sees athletics as crucial to his overall plan. Benson is no dummy. I am no a Phil D fan but you have to remember there are a lot of factions that have to be placated on the CU campus and Phil is capable of doing that. They are not looking for a "yes man" - if that was the case they would of kept Bohn. Do I like the search process, not really, but I know that Benson is setting his target high.

To take a little different view. Bruce Benson is on record as saying that Athletics are the "front porch" to University giving. His goal is to have the annual University giving to double to $400 million with Athletics to go to $20 Million. If you know Bruce Benson or are familiar with him - he is very good at fund raising and he is one of the largest donors to the University. He sees athletics as crucial to his overall plan. Benson is no dummy. I am no a Phil D fan but you have to remember there are a lot of factions that have to be placated on the CU campus and Phil is capable of doing that. They are not looking for a "yes man" - if that was the case they would of kept Bohn. Do I like the search process, not really, but I know that Benson is setting his target high.

He has talked a good game recently, but I think he needs to spearhead the initial campaign to fundraise for the facilities upgrade. This is a scenario where the AD (our front porch) is in such a complete hot mess, that the President needs to step in and get the ship righted. After our course has been corrected, then he can then get back to his preferred focus.

It would be nice to see Bruce out front and leading on this.

It would be nice to see Bruce out front and leading on this.

FWIW, I heard a radio interview with our old buddy Terry Frei this morning, who claims that the Bohn firing came from Benson's office, even though fingers are being pointed at DuiStephano.

Given Frei's track record on CU matters, I'm pretty sure that means Benson was completely uninvolved in the Bohn decision, but figured I would mention it...

DUI Phil is 61, but as we all know, 'educators' can hang on a long time.

Phil is capable of maintaining his current level of job performance well into his 80s.

It's a lot of two steps forward, two steps back with CU these days. Fire Embree, hire MM - good. Fire Bohn for no apparent reason, put Ceal in front of a mic - bad. Really bad. Spinning our wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Welcome aboard, Nik. This train is finally gathering steam. PD is a gifted politician, and gifted politicians have a way of hanging around long after people realize that they are terrible at their job. Im not sure anything can be done about it. I have made my views known when I get approached for donations.

If this story has legs, then we have a Chancellor who wants nothing more than a "yes man" in the AD position. We have a Chancellor whose idea of a "business person" is someone who can figure out how to balance the books - not someone who can grow revenue, market the hell out of CU athletics, get modern facility upgrades funded & built, and win championships.
Thank God it looks like Nik was wrong here, but time will tell.

Hmmm. This thread deserves an updated Nik perspective with the RG hire.

I really like the Rick George hire. It helps that Bill McCartney will support this decision, which brings an entire group of important fans & boosters on board. Besides that, George fits the profile of what I wanted in this AD hire. If he isn't successful as the AD, then I'll eat crow. This was an excellent hire imo.

Did Benson drive this through? Was I unfair to DiStefano and, if so, to what degree? Was there truth to all the buzz I was hearing and the negative pressure caused DiStefano to move in exactly the way in which you'd expect a politician?

I don't know.

I like the hire a lot. I also believe it's important to keep the pressure on high to get what we all know is necessary for CU to be great again.

I really like the Rick George hire. It helps that Bill McCartney will support this decision, which brings an entire group of important fans & boosters on board. Besides that, George fits the profile of what I wanted in this AD hire. If he isn't successful as the AD, then I'll eat crow. This was an excellent hire imo.

Did Benson drive this through? Was I unfair to DiStefano and, if so, to what degree? Was there truth to all the buzz I was hearing and the negative pressure caused DiStefano to move in exactly the way in which you'd expect a politician?

I don't know.

I like the hire a lot. I also believe it's important to keep the pressure on high to get what we all know is necessary for CU to be great again.

I am tired of hearing Mac say someone is the real deal. He said it with Hawk, he said it with Embree and I rolled my eyes when he said it with George. Stop feeding the fanbase bull**** Mac.

4esu7apy.jpg

I am tired of hearing Mac say someone is the real deal. He said it with Hawk, he said it with Embree and I rolled my eyes when he said it with George. Stop feeding the fanbase bull**** Mac.

Me too. I hate to say it, but with comments like that maybe Mac has turned into a yes man?

One of my real fears is that CU is going to get the facilities improvements in place and then stop. That's what happened after the Dal Ward Center was built. We need to not only keep the pressure on to get the facilities built, but to continue to improve and upgrade the AD on a consistent basis.

Back