What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I hope CSU joins the big XII

I'm torn as to whether I want them to get the invite or not. I think it's about as likely as me getting a double date with Kate Upton and Margot Robie. On the other hand, it would, potentially, add some cache to the states college football landscape. We shouldn't ever worry about losing recruiting battles with CSU. That wouldn't change if they somehow get in to the Big 12. They're still CSU and they're still in Ft Collins. Even with their pretty new McStadium, their facilities are light years behind ours.

Tons of stories in the Utah papers about BYU and BIG 12 expansion, none extolling CSU as a travel partner. BYU seems to make a great fit for the BIG12, especially if they expand to 14 teams. Most seem to think that Cincinnati and Houston will be the first two chosen because of politics and geography, and because BYU carries significant baggage. Sunday play and geography are the most obvious problems. But more significant problem arise from recent stories describing how the BYU honor code is supporting a rape culture through punishing women/men who report sexual assault. Also, 20 or so LGBT friendly groups have tacitly threatened a lawsuit against the BIG 12 concerning the violation of the league's anti-discrimination code if BYU gets an invite. BYU openly discriminates based on sexual orientation (for religious reasons of course). All work against BYU receiving an offer, even though they seem like a good fit. Don't know if BYU getting turned down helps or hurts CSU.

Seems like football only membership should seriously be considered with some of these schools. It makes no sense to drag along all sports for a football only move and universities need to move beyond the myth that all sports need to be bundled together. It would save universities tons of money to regionalize non revenue sports.

As a taxpayer, i want csu to get in the big 12. They would make way more money in the big 12 than the mwc, and get way more free advertising for the school. As a coloradoan, thats a good thing for me.

Of course, i want them to lose horrifically if they get in.

As a taxpayer, i want csu to get in the big 12. They would make way more money in the big 12 than the mwc, and get way more free advertising for the school. As a coloradoan, thats a good thing for me.

Of course, i want them to lose horrifically if they get in.
As a fellow Colorado tax payer, this seems like a stretch.

Long term I think the fantasy that G5 is big-time college football is going to fall on it's face.

CSU isn't the only school subsidizing an athletic program in the 10s of millions of dollars covering half or more the budget with limited success and attention. As the P5 schools continue to spread the gap between the haves and have nots the schools are eventually going to have to face some hard questions.

I think the eventual fallout with be a re-organization with the majority of the G5 joining the top of the FCS in a more budget friendly division.

Alleged leaked Big 12 docs. CSU not listed.

Northern Illinois got a lot of positive run in that report.

Could they go NIU and Cincinnati, which offer major media and recruiting along with being travel partners for Iowa State & West Virginia?

I also want CU to raise the bar and them getting into the big 12 would help force that issue. The recent losses have emphasized how badly Bohn and Benson had neglected things. Without those losses, we wouldn't have the shiny new facilities. While I don't think it will happen, I want it to happen.

i don't think there's any part of the CU student fees allocated to the AD....at least not through 99ih to 2011 or so when i quit working at CU. can't say when the AD fee that Miami mentions ended. now, student fees helped finish the law school building which was controversial. and rightfully so...it was a pretty big "tax" to put on the student body at large.

as far CSU....seems to me they bring all the negatives CU had in the Big 8/XII (minus the "culture" argument which i think i think is a preferred image in some ways but that's another day).....college sport in a pro sport always first Bronco market and very few of the positives--top 25 all time football program, donor and alum base in CA, East Coast and increasingly TX. one of the hallmarks of the Big 8/Big XII is that college sport is valued up to and in some cases over the pro (in some cases none existed....until the OKC Thunder).....CSU's fan support is a pretty big yawner and has been for a long time.

Houston could do a lot to build their case by beating OU in the opener.

Last edited:
Cincy, Memphis and two out of the UCF, USF Houston trio would be the best for recruiting purposes. Orlando and Memphis are unsaturated markets where is could be argued college football is the biggest sport (not necessarily saying the teams themselves but their interest would obviously pick up over time).

In Memphis it is not under saturated with Ole Miss just across the border, but since it is the south football fans have no qualms voting for their region vs the rest of the country. Basketball is king in Memphis. The basketball program would blow up if added to the BigXII.

Elvis is the king in Memphis.
Other than Graceland which is in an extremely ****ty area of town there is little to do about Elvis around here. We had Elvis week few weekends ago and it was not much to get on a fuss about.

Graceland is in a crappy part of town. In defense of Graceland, not much in Memphis isn't crappy.

As far as BYU, the Big 12 could take them as a football only member. That would solve the Sunday thing, and you wouldn't be sending non revenue sports to Provo every year. Not sure how that would impact little brother, and I don't know that the league they play in is that big a deal. When RG killed the game, there were three reasons behind it-variety in OOC scheduling being one of them. Even if Bevo asks them to play in their sandbox, we shouldn't be playing CSU more than four years every ten......and the only way that changes is if the Pac 12 goes to an 8 game conference schedulem

Albuquerque is methed out, boring and depressing.

Memphis feels unsafe. Like you're always about to be mugged.
Its like downtown Las Vegas, if you walk in the shadows you will get into the trouble. East Memphis and the eastern burbs are very nice. Minus a few blocks downtown and the historic mansion neighborhood the rest of the town is a **** hole.

Its like downtown Las Vegas, if you walk in the shadows you will get into the trouble. East Memphis and the eastern burbs are very nice. Minus a few blocks downtown and the historic mansion neighborhood the rest of the town is a **** hole.
I freely admit I never made it to East Memphis. We were mostly downtown, near Beale St, and in the Southern part of town near Graceland and the airport.

In Memphis it is not under saturated with Ole Miss just across the border, but since it is the south football fans have no qualms voting for their region vs the rest of the country. Basketball is king in Memphis. The basketball program would blow up if added to the BigXII.
I just think there are a lot of people in the city that will root for Memphis in the Big-12 even if they are Ole Miss fans. Ole Miss grads may not be all that into it but a lot of the casual observers, which there are a ton of since memphis is the highest rated college football town in the country, that will watch and even root for/support the program.

Back