What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I hope CSU joins the big XII

CU's student fees run $404 semester according to 9News
This funds access to the Rec center and student programs. No mention of what, if any, is directed towards the CUAD.

The Coloradoan article I linked above says $114 at CSU goes to CSU's AD.

When I went there it was broken down line by line. Some of the money went to Year Book (now defunct) as well.

i don't think there's any part of the CU student fees allocated to the AD....at least not through 99ih to 2011 or so when i quit working at CU. can't say when the AD fee that Miami mentions ended. now, student fees helped finish the law school building which was controversial. and rightfully so...it was a pretty big "tax" to put on the student body at large.

as far CSU....seems to me they bring all the negatives CU had in the Big 8/XII (minus the "culture" argument which i think i think is a preferred image in some ways but that's another day).....college sport in a pro sport always first Bronco market and very few of the positives--top 25 all time football program, donor and alum base in CA, East Coast and increasingly TX. one of the hallmarks of the Big 8/Big XII is that college sport is valued up to and in some cases over the pro (in some cases none existed....until the OKC Thunder).....CSU's fan support is a pretty big yawner and has been for a long time.

Houston could do a lot to build their case by beating OU in the opener.

There has been a dedicated atudent fee that goes to the athletic dept since 1980. I think some grad students are exempt if they are only taking thesis hours, but i could be wrong about that.

There has been a dedicated atudent fee that goes to the athletic dept since 1980. I think some grad students are exempt if they are only taking thesis hours, but i could be wrong about that.

It's my understanding that the CU Boulder student fees support CU club sports and the rec center, but are not allocated towards the sports teams under the CU Athletic Department.

The fees also provide various clubs and student services as allocated by the CU student government.

It's my understanding that the CU Boulder student fees support CU club sports and the rec center, but are not allocated towards the sports teams under the CU Athletic Department.

The fees also provide various clubs and student services as allocated by the CU student government.

You are mistaken. There is a dedicated student fee that goes to the ad. It started in 1980 when football revenue cratered and never went away. It started at $10 a semester and is now $28.50 a semester.https://bursar.colorado.edu/tuition-fees/mandatory-fees/fee-descriptions-2016-17/

The ad gives the students discounted football tickets and free admission to most sports in return.

There is a separate fee for the rec center.

You are mistaken. There is a dedicated student fee that goes to the ad. It started in 1980 when football revenue cratered and never went away. It started at $10 a semester and is now $28.50 a semester.https://bursar.colorado.edu/tuition-fees/mandatory-fees/fee-descriptions-2016-17/

The ad gives the students discounted football tickets and free admission to most sports in return.

There is a separate fee for the rec center.

Dude, @Skidmark I told you. You should know by now not to doubt me muthafukka!!!

I agree. My freshman year at cu was 1989, and got to pay $10 for my football season ticket.

That was so awesome back then. Picking up your tickets for $10. And knowing we were going to kick the ever living **** out of every team we played except 1 or 2. Plus we could buy beer. All subsidized by the tree hugging druid basket weaving liberal hippie students that had no interest in football that had to pay that fee too.

Those were the days.

When you bought the football tickets, they used throw in the basketball tickets too for like an extra $5 or something. It was great.

In all honesty, that would help the buffs.
Our scheduling would look better with another yearly P5 conference opponent every season.

Wouldn't get any tougher, but the appearance of scheduling would definitely look that way.

It would be cool to see CSU do well in the BIG XII, but that wouldn't happen for quite some time.

We don't need our scheduling to look better. We're in a brutal conference. Been through the whole routine of an Ag school in a lower conference joining a bigger one. There's no advantage to speak of for the other school already in the better league, let alone in a sparsely populated area such as the Rockies with limited top notch talent to go around. The argument that it will somehow make "CU better" just isn't reality.

We don't need our scheduling to look better. We're in a brutal conference. Been through the whole routine of an Ag school in a lower conference joining a bigger one. There's no advantage to speak of for the other school already in the better league, let alone in a sparsely populated area such as the Rockies with limited top notch talent to go around. The argument that it will somehow make "CU better" just isn't reality.
I think it could make people pay more attention to college football within the state.

An even better way to bring attention to college football in the state of Colorado is to win at home, win on the road, win at bowl games, and have lots of star players get drafted to play in the NFL.

Exactly. I've never understood the whole "If CSU does well, then it helps CU" argument. CU doing well would help CU. What CSU does doesn't matter.

P.S. **** CSU. 7 days.

That was so awesome back then. Picking up your tickets for $10. And knowing we were going to kick the ever living **** out of every team we played except 1 or 2. Plus we could buy beer. All subsidized by the tree hugging druid basket weaving liberal hippie students that had no interest in football that had to pay that fee too.

Those were the days.
If I, as a non-crazy person, had to subsidize SINAPU (the wolf-huggers) then they could damn well subsidize my football addiction.

I was listening to one of the local legends in sportstalk Norm Hitzges. Norm is really connected and he stated that the Big XII has 3 options and they are in this order. 1) add 2 teams, 2) not expand at all, 3) add 4 teams. He also said it is a almost guaranteed it will be 2 and the 2 will be Cincy and Houston and his reasoning makes a ton of sense. First off by adding Cincy you now have a travel partner for WV and you dont add another chartered flight to play them. Teams now fly to Pittsburgh and hop a bus to Morgantown. Now you fly to Cincinnati and its a manageable 4 1/2 hr bus ride to Morgantown. about the same as TCU going to Houston or Lubbock. Which brings us to point 2. By adding Houston there is another bus ride in lieu of another chartered flight for several members of the conference including the 1 that will decide UT. This option makes far and above the most sense it adds the least expense to the current members, and the way their TV deal reads will give them more money in return without adding a trip to Provo, Boise, or Ft Collins.

Ouch. CSU made their play, and you have to respect the effort, but it looks like they are stuck in the Mountain Weenie Division for the foreseeable future.

img_3051.jpg

Big Horned Sheep is gonna come in and tell them everything will be ok. And they'll eat it up. Those poor souls

Back